+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011

Thread: Trailer Park Boys

I'm still waiting to find out when the 6th season is going to start (it's usually in April) but until then:

http://entertainment.sympatico.msn.c...etect=&abc=abc

ECMA defends choosing Trailer Park Boys to host

Organizers of the East Coast Music Awards are defending a decision to use the Trailer Park Boys as hosts.

Several people have voiced concern in Prince Edward Island newspapers, saying the TV characters use profanity and have no connection to music.

Show organizers say they have received several e-mails over the matter. The music awards show is to take place Feb. 27 at the Charlottetown Civic Centre. It will be broadcast nationally by CBC-TV.

Actors John Paul Tremblay as "Julian", Robb Wells as "Ricky," and Mike Smith as "Bubbles" are to host, while country star George Canyon, rock group Matt Mays & El Torpedo and fiddler Natalie MacMaster will perform.

"The selection of these actors. portraying foul-mouthed, drug-using, petty criminals as representative of East Coast music is ludicrous at best and an insult to every music-loving Canadian in general, and East Coasters in particular," writes Edward Marsh, of Charlottetown, in a letter to the editor, published in the Charlottetown Guardian on Wednesday.

Another letter writer asks what connection the Trailer Park Boys have to music.

But Campbell Webster, the chair of ECMA 2006, said the Trailer Park Boys are a perfect match for the show.

"They were chosen for a number of reasons. One of them is that they're one of Atlantic Canada's great success stories, and they have a deep connection to the music industry," Webster told CBC News.

The boys have been associated with some of Canada's favourite rockers. They were in the Tragically Hip video for "The Darkest One" and toured with Our Lady Peace. Smith also jammed with Rush and members of the Barenaked Ladies at the Canada for Asia concert.

"In fact Mike Smith who plays Bubbles used to have a band called Sand Box, which was nominated for an East Coast Music Award a few years back," Webster said.

"One of the things that the Trailer Park Boys are going to do is attract more attention to the ECMAs and we hope that Canadians get to learn a little bit more about East Coast music," he said, promising the event would be a family friendly broadcast, with no swearing.

Some letter writers have expressed support for the boys. "The Trailer Park Boys do swear, yes, but they have become as Canadian as beer or Don Cherry (who has worked with them as well)," writes Mark Boulter, of Charlottetown, in another letter to the editor.

For their part, the Trailer Park Boys can't wait to do the show.

"There are probably all kinds of record company people there and I'm hoping if I sing some of my songs to them they might want to sign me to a record deal and I could become a big Country & Western star," Bubbles (Smith) wrote in an earlier ECMA release. "Liquor and Whores is always a big hit down at the legion, so you never know!"

The Trailer Park Boys, which launches its sixth season this year, is co-produced by Halifax-based Topsail Productions and Trailer Park Productions. The surprise international hit follows the adventures of three boozy, swearing residents of a trailer park who always seem to come down on the wrong side of the law.
    "Liquor and Whores."
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

MAN do I miss these guys Qbooty. I can't even find any repeats.

Ohhhh, how GREAT that they're doing the music awards!! Good for them!! Zaaam found some TPB apparel online and was going to buy me a sweatshirt with Bubbles on it and a few other things, but the site said they wouldn't deliver to the US.

Thanks for posting that.. let us (me!) know when the new season does start..hopefully I'll be able to find it and revel in some trailer trashness!
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

I just got around to watching my tape of this today. Bubbles actually sang "Liquor & Whores". I don't think our Prime Minister quite knew what to make of them.

http://jam.canoe.ca/Music/2006/02/27/1465522-cp.html

CHARLOTTETOWN (CP) - Matt Mays & El Torpedo walked off with the most pewter and The Trailer Park Boys triggered an avalanche of F-bombs.

The annual East Coast Music Awards were handed out Monday night in front of a capacity crowd at the Charlottetown Civic Centre that included Prime Minister Stephen Harper. "I know you," boomed Trailer Park Boy Ricky as he pointed at a wide-eyed Harper seated in the front row with his wife, Laureen.

"University of Alberta. 1982. Helix."

Island newspapers were flooded in the days preceding the show with letters from people who felt Ricky and his foul-mouthed, pot-smoking cohorts Bubbles and Julian were inappropriate choices as hosts of the annual showcase of Atlantic musical talent.

The fuss was lampooned when the nationally televised broadcast opened with the myopic Bubbles urging Ricky to keep it clean.

"Geez, Ricky, this isn't Showcase, it's the CBC," he fretted as the three lounged in a small trailer parked on the arena floor.

"You might be able to stop swearing for a few minutes but not for a whole show."

Sure enough, their conversation included a number of bleeped F-bombs that became the show's running joke.

Ironically, the Newfoundland band The Novaks performed a song that included three unbleeped expletives.

"We came out and rehearsed it and nobody said anything to us," singer Mick Davis told reporters after the St. John's rockers won the CBC Galaxie Rising Star Award.

"It's in the English language," he added with a shrug.

Mays and his Dartmouth, N.S., bandmates finished the night with four awards.

The shaggy rockers won for rock recording of the year, group of the year, FACTOR album of the year, and single of the year for Cocaine Cowgirl, which they performed during the show.

Afterwards, Mays was asked about the band's scruffy, thrift-shop look.

"People see us coming a mile away," he replied, a battered wool cap pulled low over his eyes.

"You can't polish a turd."

Mays figures he's put over 200,000 kilometres on the band's battered van, The Night Owl, in 2 1/2 years of relentless touring and blistering live shows.

The band opened last year for Blue Rodeo and Sam Roberts on national tours that helped grow their audiences from almost nothing when they started to full houses now.

"What we're trying to do is establish a real fan base, not like an overnight fan base, because the ones that you work for stay forever," said Mays.

Celtic singer Mary Jane Lamond of Cape Breton went home with two awards - female artist of the year and roots/traditional solo recording of the year for her latest album, Storas.

Halifax singer-songwriter Joel Plaskett also won twice, for male artist of the year and for SOCAN songwriter of the year for his song Happen Now.

"I wrote Happen Now on my father's tenor guitar, so I have to thank him for buying it," Plaskett told the crowd after receiving the songwriting award.

Country artist George Canyon was named entertainer of the year for the second consecutive year. It was the only award voted on by the public.

"I figured Matt and the boys would win this - they've been cleaning up," said Canyon, who grew up in Nova Scotia's Pictou County but lives now in Alberta.

"It doesn't matter where I live. I'm a Maritimer."

The Dr. Helen Creighton Lifetime Achievement Award was presented to legendary Cape Breton fiddler Buddy MacMaster.

His niece, Natalie MacMaster, performed a medley of his tunes, then gave her elderly uncle the award.

"I started when I was 11 years old and that was 70 years ago," the 81-year-old told the crowd.

"Once I started, I never gave it up. I just loved the music."

The show also included live performances by Canyon, Lamond, Lennie Gallant and Bubbles, who sang a song called Liquor and Whores.

J.P. Cormier of Cape Breton won for folk recording of the year for his album The Long River: A Personal Tribute to Gordon Lightfoot.

Cormier said he's been a longtime fan of the Canadian icon and received approval from the man himself for the recording.

"He is the bard by which I measure my writing," Cormier said. "All songwriters look at him as the grandfather of Canadian songwriters."
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

Thanks for sharing that Qboots! It was exciting to even read about the awards show, wish I could have seen it!

Was Bubbles singing a total crack up?
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

Quote Originally Posted by Maveno View Post
    Was Bubbles singing a total crack up?
    It sure cracked me up! He even got the crowd to sing the chorus along with him.

Last night, Showcase aired a special called "Hearts of Dartmouth: Life of a Trailer Park Girl". It's a behind-the-scenes look at the series. Very enlightening. The "girl" in the title is the wife of Mike Clattenburg (the series creator).

Whoo Hoo! Season 6 starts on Showcase April 16!

There's also a TPB movie coming out this summer. It's a prequel called "Trailer Park Boys: Baked on a True Story". Ivan Reitman is producing. The release date hasn't been announced yet, but when it is, I'll post it in here so Maveno can gather up her sleeping bag and go camp out in line.
    Last edited by Qboots; 03-16-2006 at 07:34 PM.

Re: Trailer Park Boys

So how did Season 6 turn out? Worth getting the DVD set?
    Was there a Season 7?
    I lost interest after Season 5. Got tired of all the dysfunctional yelling and screaming. Seemed like the writing was getting old, too.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011