+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Six Feet Under - "The Opening" (4/27/03)

FORT Fogey

Six Feet Under - "The Opening" (4/27/03)

The entire episode was centered around an Art Show where Claire and Russell exhibited some of their work. What puzzled me was that Claire had not done photography since last year and from what I understood Olivier was their Fine Arts teacher and we are not talking multi-media art.

For various reasons all family members converged on this art show as well as Brenda, Billy and her mother, who ends up getting stoned and subsequently schtupped by Olivier in the only funny scene. Billy and Brenda are humiliated at their mother's behavior, but not surprised. Billy and Brenda commiserate about the downside of the sober life.

It appears that Olivier is part of the famous "6 degrees of separation" since he has had carnal knowledge of quite a few people who were present at "The Opening."

Keith and David's relationship is not getting any better even though they go cruising for another guy to make a threesome. It leaves David feeling sad and empty, but Keith seems to find it revitalizing.

Lisa and Nate have a heart-to-heart before attending the Show and are discussing separation. Once they get to the show, Brenda who is also there realizes that Lisa is Nate's wife and after the two meet in the bathroom she tells Lisa that Nate didn't love her more but "he was just trying to get something he didn't have." I have no idea what that meant.

Meanwhile, the only ones not attending are Rico and Vanessa who have problems of their own. Vanessa's meds have not kicked in and she is as morose and depressed as ever. Rico doesn't know what to do for her but attempts to make a nice candlelit dinner for the two of them.

I was rather disappointed in the show this evening. A great deal went on but nothing was resolved. The pace was slow and what I thought would be explosive and dramatic -- Brenda and Lisa's meeting -- turned into a fizzle.

Nate and Lisa decided to try being lovers again and that seemed to cheer them up a bit. Again, this was just too obscure for me to grasp. What did they mean by that? What was going to change?

Ruth and Arthur seemed to be taking off in a bizarre but touching relationship and when things really looked promising, Arthur pulls back again and leaves Ruth wondering about her expectations.
    Last edited by CaliGirl; 04-28-2003 at 01:34 AM.

It's like a lot of changes are going on & they need a lot of background & "footwork" to get to the real action. They're dropping a LOT of red herrings, which I'm sure will benefit whoever will write more episodes.... not to mention they drive viewers crazy.

I dont know why the pyramid made all the difference & Lisa & Nate made up again..... I don't know what they think is going to change ... it'll probably be good for awhile then blow up again.

Vanessa starting to take home her own medication from work? Interesting....will we have a pill addiction on our hands? Poor Frederico, he is so sweet & does everything he can to help her out. I really feel sorry for him, he's a hard worker, takes care of his family for BOTH of them ....

Is Keith going to have a drug problem? Is the 2nd episode in row he's been smoking pot, this time he was "walked in on" by David.
    How long till he buys his own pot from the streets?

I'm getting more comfortable with the Ruth & Arthur situation...although it's still a bit disturbing to think of them as lovers, the two of them are ... kind of fit for one another .... Wonder if she'll buy him a new violin....

I think Six feet is in a "build up" fase, there are a lot of problems brewing, some may happen some may not... keeps me watching & guessing though & that's what I love bout 6 feet :-D
    "He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how."

FORT Fogey
    I'll join both of you in a communal scratching of heads over the "deal" that Nate and Lisa struck. Huh? I think the inside walls of that pyramid were coated with LSD because if they think a simple change of perspective is going to keep them smiling, they are hallucinating.

Wyndemere, I don't think Keith is going to turn into an addict. I just think he's gotten to the point where he just wants to have some fun. Walk a bit in someone else's shoes. It's not that he has anything against David, it's that he wants to live a little more wildy. David enjoyed the first threesome but he definitely doesn't want to make it a recurrent part of their lives.

CG, good point about Claire's photography. Where'd that come from all of a sudden? And seeing how she doesn't have the slightest interest in the funeral home business, I don't know why she would choose a cemetery as a location.

Originally posted by CaliGirl
    ...and her mother, who ends up getting stoned and subsequently schtupped by Olivier in the only funny scene.
    Now there's something Brenda's mom, Billy and Russell have in common!

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    Wow, I was coming here to pose the question....what the hell did I miss with Nate/Lisa that made them hunky dory again? Glad to see no one else understand either!

And.....did that Olivier guy seduce Claire's boyfriend? (or are we supposed to surmise that anyway?)
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

FORT Fogey
    Originally posted by BravoFan
    And.....did that Olivier guy seduce Claire's boyfriend? (or are we supposed to surmise that anyway?)
    Last week after Claire came back from picking up that artwork in the desert, she was outside for 20 mins trying to get Russell and Olivier to come out and help her unload it.

Then she walks into the house to find a very uncomfortable looking Russell who can't wait to leave. Olivier has a huge grin on his face and is putting his watch back on. Later, Russell says "nothing happened" and that they only smoked a joint and watched tv.

I definitely think they had full-blown sex.

yes and the chick in Azusa kept mentioning that Olivier liked boys, then Russell is being weird & I dont know if Claire (and us) are just supposed to ASSUME something went on .... or if it really did.

OF course when Billy said he'd had sex with Olivier, that makes it even more suspicious...

So ... dont know if it happened or not, but I'm sure if it hasn't it will ... oh boy, did that sentence make sense? lol
    "He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how."

FORT Fogey

I said, "huh?"

originally posted by Wyndemere "So ... dont know if it happened or not, but I'm sure if it hasn't it will ... oh boy, did that sentence make sense? lol"
    More sense than some of the things in this latest show, Wynd

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Is it just me, or does Arthur remind anyone else of a 'pod person'? It's almost like he's from another planet, and he is collecting data!!!

I understand that he is an extremely unexperienced man, but there is something even more bizzare than that about him.

I agree with the boredom level this week. I'm just glad that I was not the only person who was left confused and spent. I plan to watch this episode one more time this week to see if anything makes any better sense.

And, as for Keith, I think he is depressed and acting out. He lost the job that he really loved, but he was already on a downward slide before he left he job. Help me here........did he get fired, or did he get in trouble and just decided not to go back? :

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    I think Arthur's character is quite funny, but you're right...I don't really think he fits in as "human".
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

FORT Fogey

Keith's downward slide

originally posted by prhoshay
    And, as for Keith, I think he is depressed and acting out. He lost the job that he really loved, but he was already on a downward slide before he left he job. Help me here........did he get fired, or did he get in trouble and just decided not to go back?
    Point well made. Keith was involved in a police shooting (oh hell, he shot a suspect), and after an investigation Keith had to leave the police force.

And yes, Arthur could be a pod person or the newest inhabitant of a rehab facility (Las Encinas Hospital in Pasadena on April 23, 2003) - Jack Osbourne.
    Last edited by CaliGirl; 04-29-2003 at 08:22 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast