+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree656Likes

Thread: Glee

re: GLEE

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;4088615;
    Has everyone heard that The Parents Television Council is outraged by the GC cover featuring Cory Monteith and a "scantily clad" Diana Agron and Lea Michele? They claim that it "borders on pedophilia". *snort* Even if they are dismayed by the idea of high school students (and hopefully not the actors - they are all in their twenties, with Cory being nearly thirty) being sexually active, they probably should take a minute to learn that pedophilia actually refers to an attraction to prepubescent children, not people old enough to drive. This is the sort of knee-jerk reactionism that causes thinking people to not take them or their bouts of hysteria seriously.

And if they don't like it, or don't want their kids to watch it, they can always change the channel. Or read (what a concept...) about TV shows ahead of time. Glee wasn't created to be a kids' show like High School Musical, rather, a satirical take-off of such. It's kind of like going to see Debbie Does Dallas and being shocked and outraged that it's not a travel documentary about Texas.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    It's kind of like going to see Debbie Does Dallas and being shocked and outraged that it's not a travel documentary about Texas.
    good point (I guess that would be a mistake not made twice).

I hadn't heard of this group or the cover controversy. I looked up the PTC's website, and part of their mission is "to make the early hours of prime time family-friendly and suitable for viewers of all ages"... well, good luck with that but I think the ship has sailed and isn't coming back. Maybe this group is targeting Glee because it's moved into the 7:00 hour (at least in my time zone, where it used to be 8:00), but that seems like more of a network programming issue. I don't understand how attacking a men's magazine cover fits into this mission.

Quote Originally Posted by coltnlasma;4088665;
    ... Maybe this group is targeting Glee because it's moved into the 7:00 hour (at least in my time zone, where it used to be 8:00), but that seems like more of a network programming issue. I don't understand how attacking a men's magazine cover fits into this mission.
    I do. They are doing it to get publicity. By attacking a hugely popular show, they get their name and their organization in the paper and increase their bottom line when other zealots donate money to them for going after the "bad guys".

They just see an opportunity to cause a buzz and it seems to have worked.

All that aside, who else went SQUEEEE! when watching that clip? Although I had a really hard time locating Rachel (finally did) and Santana and Quinn. The makeup/styling was great that I couldn't tell those last two apart.
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

Outraged over photo's in a men's magazine known for it's racier photo spreads? Oh please. If you don't want your kids to see it, then don't leave it laying on the coffee table. And I realize that older kids might google glee and those pics will come up, but it's nothing worse than they'd see watching MTV or VH1.

And the Debbie Does Dallas comment was
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;4088655;

And if they don't like it, or don't want their kids to watch it, they can always change the channel. Or read (what a concept...) about TV shows ahead of time. Glee wasn't created to be a kids' show like High School Musical, rather, a satirical take-off of such.
    I don't think the legions of "Gleeks" are caring that the show was not "created to be" a family show. So it would be surprising if we didn't hear squawking about a lot of the show's content. If they didn't watch and raise the viewership (and then possibly exercise their right to squawk, which we can blithely ignore), it might have gone off the air, so yay for them, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;4088615;
    Has everyone heard that The Parents Television Council is outraged by the GC cover
    GQ? I love that magazine! I ignore the raunch-ish photos and read the other 98% of the magazine with the great style, food, and pop culture spreads, humor, and intelligent articles the likes of which you never get in women's fashion mags. If someone's objections are giving this magazine (in an age where most are shutting down) some extra press, then yay!

My opinion, they're scantily clad and hootching around video-style all the time in the show, so why bother to go after a magazine when you can just tsk tsk about the show itself? Plus, Rachel/Lea is the un-sexiest girl on TV. If matter is to sexiness, Rachel/Lea is antimatter. So, nothing to get riled up about, lol.
    Last edited by Harvest; 10-21-2010 at 07:39 PM.

I read a quote from Diana Agron where she sort of apologized for the shoot, saying it wasn't her favorite idea, but she also wondered who these people are whose small children are getting a hold of a copy of GQ. It's not like they did the cover of Highlights Magazine or something.

Where was the PTC when Miley Cyrus was writhing around on a bed in her underwear in her last video? Like Harmony said, it's all about publicity.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

I watch Glee as a favor to my daughter . . . . my TWENTY-ONE YEAR OLD daughter. Trust me, we would NOT be bonding over this show if she was 8 or 9 years old, regardless of what time it comes on!

A small write-up in my local paper gave the ages of just three of the cast and I was more than a little surprised to find out that Cory "Finn" Monteith is turned TWENTY-EIGHT back in May. Mark "Puck" Salling also entered this world back in 1982. The girls who portray Rachel, Quinn, Mercedes and Tina are all 24.

The youngest of the bunch is Chris "Kurt" Colfer, who is 20 (and five months).

I'm seeing shades of a Dan Quayle/Murphy Brown moment.

I agree with Harmony (this time!) and think it's for publicity. Maybe it will be a wake-up call for the parents of those third-graders and they'll change the channel to something more appropriate.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

Let me just say that I am not a parent and have never had any desire to be one. But if I were, I wouldn't have an issue with a younger child watching Glee. Yes, there is some sexual content, but the idea of a child watching something of that nature bothers me far less than them watching violence, though too many people seem to feel the reverse. There is a thread in IMDB in, if I call correctly, The Town whereby someone asks about the sexual content because they didn't want their fourteen year old seeing any, and this person explicitly stated that they didn't mind their child seeing the violence they knew was in the film but drew the line at sex. I'm not happy living in a world where sex is bad and violence is good.

And bear in mind that Glee also imparts a lot of positive messages unlike, say, Saved by the Bell, which was explicitly made for kids. Under no circumstances would I let a kid of mine watch SBTB, a show where cheating and the abuse of "dorks, nerds and dweebs" are routinely rewarded and the only apparent character trait of any virtue is "coolness".
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

CCL

I can kind of agree with the point that it is a shame that actresses today still feel the need to take their clothes off and get raunchy in order to get publicity (whereas Cory Monteith is fully clothed in all the shots). Lea Michele seems to particularly feel the need to portray herself as oh-so-sexy and some of the pictures are too much in my opinion (like the one where she has her legs wide open, straddling the bench in the locker room). But I'm not going to stop anyone else from looking at them, nor do I feel others should do so.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by CCL;4089210;
    I can kind of agree with the point that it is a shame that actresses today still feel the need to take their clothes off and get raunchy in order to get publicity (whereas Cory Monteith is fully clothed in all the shots). Lea Michele seems to particularly feel the need to portray herself as oh-so-sexy and some of the pictures are too much in my opinion (like the one where she has her legs wide open, straddling the bench in the locker room). But I'm not going to stop anyone else from looking at them, nor do I feel others should do so.
    I aggree with this sentiment. I see no reason why adults well into their 20's should be treated like they did something shocking or bad by doing a photo shoot in minimal clothing (but still covered).
    But with that said, something that really bothers me is the whole Objectifying Women thing. It really burns me that the moment a woman does something noteworthy, whether a TV show, an Oscar movie performance, wins a Nobel Prize, becomes an astronaut, rules a country, becomes a race-car driver, saves people from a burning building, or any other accomplishment where her skill gets her to a noteworthy place, the first thing the men do is try to demean, objectify & "put her in her place" by trying to get her to strip off all of her clothes & parade around naked. :nono
    Heaven forbid that a woman be acknowledged & appreciated for her accomplishments in life.
    The worst thing is that so many of the women go along with it.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

+ Reply to Thread