+ Reply to Thread
Page 75 of 274 FirstFirst ... 25656667686970717273747576777879808182838485125175 ... LastLast
Like Tree656Likes

Thread: Glee

re: GLEE

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff;3924755;
    ...I don't think Glee is meant to "teach" correctness on any level, which is why I love it so. ...

Otherwise, it would be "Afterschool Special" or "High School Musical." Yuck! I love the snarkiness, the personal foibles, and the very imperfect characters who suck at decision-making and excel in poor judgment.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Last week was when she confronted Shelby, but the week before was when Jessie made Rachel listen to the tape and when he talked to Shelby in her car. This week's episode should have run between the one where she listened to the tape and the one where she and Shelby met. I still see your point though - it was disjointed no matter what they did. Just a few quick scenes would have solved that problem. Makes you wonder if anything was cut for time.
    Returning to this discussion...I was just reading (on Wikipedia, which yes, I know isn't 100% correct, but still...)...

According to the article on Rachel Berry, she and Jesse broke up after the episode with "Run, Joey, Run". Which means that the episodes were (in my opinion only) way out of sync, but with so many storylines going on...well, at least now I know why he said, "I loved you" in the parking lot.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Really? I do think Glee is in fact full of "lessons"...that people are not one dimensional (Sue and her sister), that you should go for what you love even if it is not "cool", that there are other people like you out there even if you feel like the only weird one in your school (for whatever reason you are weird), just to name a few.

I did a long post that got timed out and deleted on the whole Finn/faggy issue, so let me cut to my last point from it to get under the mods' deadlines.

I've been mulling over why they did this episode the way they did... it had so many oddities in it and mixed messages... and here's what I came up with.
    As was said above, Finn has been presented as remarkably non-homophobic for a kid in his situation, small town, teen, midwest, football team, etc., so to write a believable situation in which Finn would use the word faggy requires that he be extremely stressed. I think the point was to show that at bottom we all probably have some prejudices, but for someone like Finn they'd have to really have him out of control before that would come out. Under normal stresses Finn has shown he would not strike out like that, so the stress had to be very abnormal. Hence all the pile on of a move out of the blue to a new house, new "stepdad", new "stepbrother" with a harassing crush, and loss of a private room, with no consideration by anyone that this might not be something he'd like.
    The point of the episode being that we all have our hang ups which we have to recognize and fight, which Finn does by dressing even more outrageously than Kurt while he rescues him.
    Frankly I can't think of any other reason to have the grown ups especially behave in such an adolescent manner. Nothing in the past would seem to lead up to it. I see the writers brainstorming as to how they could create a situation in which even nice Finn would let loose all his inner demons...and given all the previous stress they've subjected him to (pregnant girlfriend, cheating girlfriend/friend, harassment by teammates) during which he's pretty much held it together they had to go way over the top.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by TripleGemini;3924769;
    Returning to this discussion...I was just reading (on Wikipedia, which yes, I know isn't 100% correct, but still...)...

According to the article on Rachel Berry, she and Jesse broke up after the episode with "Run, Joey, Run". Which means that the episodes were (in my opinion only) way out of sync, but with so many storylines going on...well, at least now I know why he said, "I loved you" in the parking lot.
    My Glee is mostly on tape, I rarely get to watch it live so I'm seeing things way out of order. I just now watched the episode where Rachel thinks she will lose her voice and be nothing (and gets her perspective back thanks to Finn's paralyzed friend), Kurt's dad is taking FInn to ball games, Kurt makes out with Brittney, and Puck dates Mercedes, and everyone is supposed to find a song that expresses their true self.
    FInn accompanies Rachel to the doctor (have we ever met either of her dads???), and makes the point that HE is there for her and asks her if she has even heard from Jesse since the Run Joey episode...she says he's in CA with VA friends for spring break, and Finn makes a pitch to replace Jesse (and sings Jesse's Girl). But my point is that episode was supposed to come AFTER the Run Joey episode, and I'm pretty sure it was shown before it.

"I left your father. He was having an affair with some... tatooed freak." : Way to be current, Glee.

FORT Fogey

"Brunettes have no place in show business." - Olivia Newton John

To Sir With Love. I am officially a puddle now.

Great performances tonight!

FORT Fogey

Over the Rainbow - now I'm in puddle right with you, canuckinchile!

I really enjoyed the season finale, it wasn't surprised how the story went, very predictable in my opinion but doesn't mean that it was bad. I cannot wait for next season...I absolutely love Glee!!!

+ Reply to Thread