+ Reply to Thread
Page 69 of 273 FirstFirst ... 19596061626364656667686970717273747576777879119169 ... LastLast
Like Tree652Likes

Thread: Glee

re: GLEE

Gaga, when she performs live, she likes to sing different versions of her songs. Whenever I hear her, she always changes something and the song never sounds the same twice (at least all the performances I've caught this has been true). Perez Hilton is in love with her and posts every performance she's ever done I think...lol.

I loved the speech by Kurt's dad, as well. It was beautiful but we have to remember even though Finn looks like a 30 year old man, he's a teenager... Teens think they have it figured out but often don't. And if I had a dollar for every time I've heard the world "fag or or that's so gay" from a teenagers mouth I'd be able to quit my job and live quite comfortably. It's been banned from my house, but kids are stupid and don't realize the effect of their words sometimes. The speech got through to Finn and that's whats important.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

Quote Originally Posted by JavaJo;3915865;
    The speech got through to Finn and that's whats important.
    And what about the speech to Kurt that it's not ok to stalk and manipulate somebody who clearly isn't into you and never will be? I am not liking how one sided this thing appears to be and how only Finn got smacked. I think it's high time that somebody had a little chat with Kurt and he was told that while what Finn did was insensitive, what he is doing is wrong as well. He shouldn't be held uncountable for his part in all this.

I read somewhere that this show is beginning to feel like an after school special and I agree. I like this show for how outrageous it is and the random musical numbers, I do not want to see it dissolve into a show with messages.

And finally....poor Rachel. I'm dreading the fall out of Jesse and his betrayal (and how the Glee club will more than likely all turn their backs on her for bringing the traitor into the midst while not giving a rats patooie about her feelings). Hopefully her "mother" will have a change of heart at the last minute and not use the information against them.

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000;3915888;
    And what about the speech to Kurt that it's not ok to stalk and manipulate somebody who clearly isn't into you and never will be? I am not liking how one sided this thing appears to be and how only Finn got smacked. I think it's high time that somebody had a little chat with Kurt and he was told that while what Finn did was insensitive, what he is doing is wrong as well. He shouldn't be held uncountable for his part in all this.
    I agree that Kurt should be set straight. I was only commenting on the events so far.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

Quote Originally Posted by JavaJo;3915932;
    I agree that Kurt should be set straight. I was only commenting on the events so far.
    AH! Ok, gotcha.

It's really beginning to creep me out and bug the heck out of me the way they are allowing this character to get away with so much stalking and manipulating. If Kurt were doing this to say Quinn or Mercedes, there would be all sorts of outrage over it. I don't even want to venture a guess as to why this is so but it is bugging me and I hope the show deals with this issue soon.

Stalking and harassing are wrong, regardless of the parties involved and their sexual orientations.

FORT Regular

I thought the Burt/Finn scene was terrible in the sense that it was being portrayed as Burt as the hero. Wrong.That was a deeply abusive scene between a pseudo-stepfather and stepson. I can't believe how horrible Finn is being treated in the middle of his mom and Burt's love affair -- those two "adults" are being incredibly selfish.

The list is long, but to get started:

Why on earth do the two families need to move in together so quickly? And if Burt's house is so huge, why does it have only 2 bedrooms (Burt's and Kurt's)? Finn _definitely_ as a teenager deserves his own flipping room and in what universe do Burt and Finn's mom think it would be psychologically sound for Finn to have to share a bedroom with a gay "stepbrother" who has been crushing openly on Finn for at least a year? The straight equivalent would be putting a teenage boy and a teenage girl together in the same bedroom as stepsiblings - that's creepy enough, but if it is known one of the teens has been openly and UNCOMFORTABLY letching on the other - then the parents are criminally abusive in my book.

Then there is the power dynamic of Burt just going all monster-dad on Finn and giving him a dressing down. No. Go talk to Finn's mom and figure out a solution. Starting with "gee, maybe Finn needs his own space".

First Burt and Finn's mom move in together and push the "we'll be a family" myth - and then two minutes later when the expected clash happens between the two sons, Burt unilaterally kicks Finn out of the house? And Burt is a hero? That's like BP having an oil rig blow up because of negligence, then fiddling around for 34 days with lame and unworkable fix-it solutions and when BP FINALLY closes the well, we applaud BP for being the hero of the day. No. Burt set this entire nightmare scenario up and frankly has not earned the right to go all sanctimonious on a 16 year old "stepson" that he threw into an impossible situation.

Cringe worthy writing and I'm VERY disappointed that more people are not able to see what TERRIBLE parenting has been going on here.

If a teenaged stepdaughter had a fit because she had to share a room with a letching teenaged stepbrother and was upset because the privacy screen fix-it was woefully inadequate, I'd say her fit was justified. Even if somewhat inappropriate statements were made in the process out of anger - clearly no one was listening to Finn. Imagine how "wrong" it would be for the stepfather to come and scream at the stepdaughter, tell her what a terrible person she was and kick her out.

Quote Originally Posted by Annika;3916070;
    Iif Burt's house is so huge, why does it have only 2 bedrooms (Burt's and Kurt's)?
    That's what I was wondering! Is the rest of the house just a big rec room?

I'm hoping that this situation becomes more even-handed because Finn is not completely in the wrong here. Even though I like Kurt, this whole thing makes me not like him as much.

I'm also bothered by the way Kurt and Mercedes are so mean to Rachel. It's one thing that Quinn and the Cheerios make fun of her, but why do Kurt and Mercedes have to be so mean? Yes, Rachel is pretty over-the-top and clueless about the things she says, but still. They're all outcasts. You'd think they'd be more supportive.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Ryan Murphy (creator and writer) is gay himself, and I feel like he's over doing the gay bit with Kurt and it will end up backfiring on him. The character has become so stereotyped in a bad way. Kurt has also become very 1-dimensional IMO. The fact that he's gay is all that is ever discussed. There are way more facets to people besides their sexuality. I know it's just a show, but for a show supposedly about championing the underdogs I feel like this direction will do no favors to the gay rights movement by stereotyping gays as these flaming, over the top, manipulative people (which they obviously are not all like that). ok end rant

@scgirl212 I didn't want to quote your whole post but you just reminded me of a harsh critique I read of R. Murphy recently. In it he was called to task for his heavy handed portrayal of a gay character and that he was losing his way with this character because he was having a hard time separating himself and his issues from the character.

I didn't see it and completely forgot about the critique till this episode and now I can see where this critique was coming from (along with those who are saying that the show is beginning to go down the preachy path).

I can understand wanting to shed light on being a gay teen, however, the way this story is being written isn't working. Finn isn't really the bad guy here and in some ways he is actually the victim. A more realistic story would have been Puck doing something insensitive to Kurt and then having some sort of dream where he sees his/Quinns baby growing up and facing the same sort of issue and that opens his eyes and he makes a change. THAT would have made more sense than this forced story (the rushed moving in together, the lecture, the standing up for him was all rushed and rather poor writing from a show that I've come to expect more from).

@ Critical Yes! I completely agree, I'd like a little back story here. WHY do they hate her so much? Santana and Quinn I can understand because they are sharing guys but what do Kurt/Mercedes have against her? Why the hatred? She's annoying but she has yet to do anything to deserve that level of hatred those two show her.

It's jealousy plain and simple. Rachel gets most/all of the solos and leads so Kurt and Mercedes are sickly jealous... it takes a lot less than that for a teenager to hate.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

I'm not sure how Ryan Murphy is *suddenly* becoming preachy when he's sticking with a theme that he's been delving into since the 2nd or 3rd episode. And in those shows, Burt made the same sorts of statements as he wades his way through the murkey waters of dealing with his son's sexuality. I remember months ago, some speculated that Burt & Finn's mom should get together b/c it would make for some interesting situations and now that the show has actually gone there, people are complaining.

Finn is like a child who's never had any guidance on a certain subject. He crossed a line and was taught a lesson. I doubt he'll make that same mistake again. Happened to me when I was 6 -- said a bad word w/o knowing it's meaning, had to eat soap, and have never said that word since. All it takes is some explanation as to why something is wrong and kids will learn. But that rarely happens nowadays, which is why I'm glad to see Burt correct him and "teach" him.

I agree that Burt & Finn's mother should've discussed the living situation with the boys more than they did but I don't think Kurt's going overboard was in any way harassment. That's a strong term and Kurt did not harass Finn. His enthusiasm went overboard but he never cozied up to Finn or made a move on him or anything of the sort. He never implied they should create some relationship or insinuate anything. He was giddy with glee at the thought that Finn would be there but it never extended further than that. I'd have to watch it again, but didn't he say in the recap at the beginning of the show that he knew Finn would never be interested in him?? And when he said that, he'd accepted it w/o reservation. I actually took his excitement to be because Finn was the cool kid in school and here he was, suddenly moving in with Kurt, who is less than popular. What unpopular kid wouldn't be excited at that prospect??

Sadly, re: Mercedes & Kurt - they're like sharks - they can work together with Rachel against a common enemy (Cheerios) but will turn on each other at any given moment. It's a constant battle for top dog in the club. And, for most kids, if there's someone less popular than them, then that makes them feel better about themselves.
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

ďI donít want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my painÖ It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.Ē - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

+ Reply to Thread