+ Reply to Thread
Page 63 of 274 FirstFirst ... 13535455565758596061626364656667686970717273113163 ... LastLast
Like Tree656Likes

Thread: Glee

re: GLEE

I read the article and his rebuttal to Kristin's comments. What I got from it is that he doesn't think gay actors can play straight period and that their sexual preference precludes them from being believable in anything other than a role as a gay person because HE (the writer) just can't separate the personal and the professional. Sorry, but I don't care if Rock Hudson was gay. Pillow Talk was campy and that's why it works - it has nothing to do with him being gay. Same with Montgomery Clift and a host of other actors.

The thing is, there are TONS of gay actors playing straight roles.... we just don't know they're gay and it's attitudes like his that cause them to stay closeted. I knew Jonathan Groff was gay before he started on Glee, but I don't care and it doesn't change the fact that he and Lea have chemistry. There have been rumors for a while that Matthew Morrison is gay and, if he is, that doesn't affect his chemistry with any of the women he's been involved with on the show.

Maybe Sean Hayes was just miscast in Promises, Promises. He's generally known as a light comedic actor, so maybe the part is just too much for him. The Tony nomination he received may be proof of the opposite.

ITA with Kristin and am particularly offended because the writer is a gay man. It feels a bit like self-loathing. Maybe he should have lunch with Rupert Everett, who commented recently that gay actors should just stay in the closet because he thinks coming out ruined his career. I'd argue that horrible plastic surgery that ruined his face is the cause of his flagging career.

I think the writer's problem is the writer's problem. Many of us are able to separate the actor from the role. I found that article offensive and small-minded and I was glad I'd canceled by Newsweek subscription already.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I, for one, think gay men can play straight pretty good. I mean... take NPH, for example. He's gay, yet he does an awesome job of playing womanizer Barney Stinson on HIMYM!!

I forgot to mention John Barrowman, the ultimate example, IMO, of an out gay man who plays straight better than many straight men. He didn't get the role of Will in Will and Grace because they said he wasn't believable as a gay man - the role went to a straight man! He's been on Desperate Housewives for a number of episodes and I don't think anyone cares about his sexuality. I've long said that he would have sexual chemistry with a mailbox.

BTW - I'd LOVE to see The Barrowman on Glee! That man can sing like nobody's business. Plus, he's dead sexy. Maybe next season they could cast him as the director of another rival glee club! He'd be awesome!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Add to that John Mahoney, the guy who plays the dad on "Frasier."
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

What about the Dad on The Brady Bunch, he played straight very well!

I just can't get over the fact that we're still worrying about someone's sexuality. Who cares? What does it matter? Should we start worrying about how many times a year someone has sex? What about asexuality? A role is a role is a role. If you can act, you can play the part. It's that simple. If someone doesn't think you're a good actor, then ok. That's their opinion. The sexuality shouldn't have anything to do with it. It should be a moot point. Back to the subject at hand, I missed this one and had to watch it on hulu. It was a great show, full of great singing.

Oh my. With that line-up it should have been so amazingly good. Yet it was so amazingly.....not
    "With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world."
    Desiderata

"I lost my dignity on a slippery wiener."

Nice article in USA Today

For 'Glee' fans, the Journey is worth it for launch of live tour - USATODAY.com

By Ed Masley, Special for USA TODAY
    PHOENIX — The Gleeks were out in force — some wearing homemade T-shirts, others thrusting pom-poms in the air — as the cast of TV's hottest show launched a four-city national tour at Dodge Theatre Saturday, with a spirited romp through their signature song, Journey's Don't Stop Believin'.

"I'm just excited to see what they have planned for the rest of the country," said Mikael Short, 21, before the show, having flown into Phoenix from Utah to witness the launch with a Gleek she'd met on Twitter, Glendale's Darien Solaris, 24.

And what they had planned, as expected, was equal parts musical theater, giddy pop culture phenomenon and Journey-loving rock show, with taped appearances from the two adult stars of Glee, Matthew Morrison and Jane Lynch.

It was Lynch, in fact, who welcomed Glee fans to the table with a withering "Hello suckers. Congratulations …. You're all idiots!"

The stage was filled with mattresses as the castmates jumped their way, in matching PJs, through Van Halen's Jump. A shiny Escalade was wheeled on stage for a smoldering, gospel-flavored take on Jazmine Sullivan's Bust Your Windows by the ever-soulful Amber Riley as Mercedes, while cheerleaders danced along in string bikini tops. Teen heartthrob Cory Monteith, as quarterback Finn Hudson, whose every move seemed to inspire more shrieking than most, played drums with more aplomb than skill on the concert's big sing-along moment, Sweet Caroline. And several members of the cast, including Chris Colfer as Kurt, donned Lady Gaga costumes for a smile-inducing Bad Romance.

They all performed in character, which meant Kevin McHale in a wheelchair, and Heather Morris, as Brittany, acting delightfully ditsy, asking Morrison's glee club director Will Schuester, for instance, "Who are all these people?"

Musical highlights ranged from big group sings on Don't Stop Believin', My Life Would Suck Without You, Jump and a mash-up of Journey's Any Way You Want It with Lovin', Touchin', Squeezin', to solo spotlights. Lea Michele, as Rachel, swaggered through the crowd enunciating Barbra Streisand's old Funny Girl song, Don't Rain On My Parade. And Riley stole the show with her powerful star turns on Bust Your Windows and Christina Aguilera's Beautiful, which boasted a big gospel ending.

Riley notwithstanding, the songs that came across best live were on the wholesome — some would argue squeaky-clean — side of the pop divide (although one did say "suck" a lot). The raps and overt sexuality on Salt-N-Pepa's Push It felt a little forced and out of character, especially sandwiched between My Life Would Suck Without You and Streisand. But the show's producers obviously know that, which explains the emphasis on Journey over hip-hop.

And speaking of Journey, after setting the tone for the concert with Don't Stop Believin', the Journey medley that followed Faithfully couldn't have felt more like a grand finale by the time they hit that final "Na na na na na na." But they managed to rally and finish the set with a crowd-pleasing version of Madonna's Like A Prayer, with backing singers dressed in choir robes.

They eased into the encore, the primary cast members seated in a row for Cyndi Lauper's bittersweet True Colors. But they went out with a bang — and a shower of confetti — on a triumphant rendition of Queen's Somebody to Love, which, like Jump and Don't Stop Believin', felt like an actual Glee club arrangement.

As Gleeks compared notes in the lobby, Solaris and Short said they ended up crying, it was so good — maybe even better than the TV show itself.

Referring to the show that had her flying in from Utah, Short said, "If you think that's good, try timesing that by 10 or 20." Only then, she said, could "Glee fans" understand how great the live show is. Then, with a smile, she added, "They're much better looking in person."
    From the tour live in Phoenix

YouTube - Bad Romance - Glee Live 2010! Phoenix, Arizona

FORT Regular

Ha. "Gleeks" I love it.

+ Reply to Thread