+ Reply to Thread
Page 62 of 274 FirstFirst ... 12525354555657585960616263646566676869707172112162 ... LastLast
Like Tree656Likes

Thread: Glee

re: GLEE

Next week looks really good! Neil Patrick Harris and Matthew Morrison singing "Dream On"
    I'm embarassed to admit how loudly I squeed when I saw this in the previews.

Anyhoo - I enjoyed this episode. Kurt's father continues to impress. It was amusing how Rachael brought Finn to her doctor's appointment and I wondered how difficult it was for Lea to sing "off" in that scene. The Puck/Mercedes story was cute and I like that she quit the Cheerios because I was tired of seeing her in that butt-ugly male cheerleader uniform.

The only thing I didn't get was the allusion to Santana/Puck. Are they an item? She has dibs on him? He's not with Quinn? (Although YAY at least we finally learn she's been living at his house since being kicked out of Finn's - I think this is the first time the show addressed that)

We found out about Santana and Puck's relationship a while ago. They were texting each other while Quinn and Puck were babysitting Terri's nephews; Santana told Quinn to back up off of him. Kind of like this week's Santana/Mercedes plot, but without the cringeworthy "The Boy Is Mine" number.

Speaking of Terri, where is Terri? I know she's an unpopular character (I love her though), but I want to see some resolution on the whole Will and Terri divorce. I feel I am owed a scene of her demanding a McMansion and two multicolored ponies (one for short trips and one for traveling) in the settlement.

I am soooo looking forward to seeing NPH next week!! I'm also glad Jessie is back and the storyline involving Rachel's mom sounds interesting!

I really enjoyed this episode. I thought the music and the storylines were great. Puck is always hilariously politically incorrect! I really loved his performance with Mercedes - I have the Lena Horne version of The Lady is a Tramp on my iPod!
    I did think the number with Mercedes and Santana was a little odd. I think it's because it sounded like the original Brandy/Monica version was playing in the background and they were singing over it. Or maybe the actresses recorded one version and then sang over on another track? Either way it sounded weird.

And a big to Kristin Chenoweth for speaking out against that Newsweek article. Her response was very well stated!

OK as a newbie to GLEE ... I am loving it MORE each week!!! Ahh ... to Jessie's Girl and LOVED Kurt singing Rose's Turn!!! FABULOUS!!!

NPH next week!!!
    KAREN

I thought I was the only one who was wondering where Quinn was living.

I hate to admit it but the first time I saw this show I thought it was stupid. Then I watched the second show & became a Glee-aholic.

Thanks MotherSister - I'd forgotten about the subversive texting during babysitting scene.

Guess it's because Puck is, you know, a sexual shark and all. :p

ETA: And thanks for making me feel old, Show. Because I do NOT consider U2's One to be "Classic Rock"
    Last edited by MiaT2; 05-12-2010 at 05:02 PM.

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by Critical
    Linking this article here, since there's enough of a Glee tie-in. If I didn't already love Kristin Chenoweth, this would have done it [letter to the editor in response to a Newsweek article]:
    Kristin Chenoweth Attacks Newsweek Article on Openly Gay Actors | Movieline

ETA: It was actually in the comments section of the article online: From 'Glee' to 'Promises, Promises' - Newsweek.com She wasn't the only one who took issue.
    Ryan Murphy also commented:

Ryan Murphy has demanded an apology from the magazine

Glee creator Ryan Murphy has called for a boycott of Newsweek magazine over an article which suggested gay actors cannot play straight roles.

Murphy called the column, by gay writer Ramin Setoodeh, "needlessly cruel and mind-blowingly bigoted".

The writer said that Will and Grace star Sean Hayes' Broadway performance as a heterosexual lead was "insincere" and "unintentionally camp".

Mr Setoodeh said his article was intended to start a debate.

"The point of my essay was not to disparage my own community, but to examine an issue that is being swept under the rug."

He added that his piece had become "a straw man for homophobia and hurt in the world," and claimed his words had been "twisted".

Newsweek called the article "a thoughtful, honest essay on a controversial topic" and said it was "unfortunate his argument has been misunderstood".

Kristin Chenoweth, Hayes' co-star in the New York stage production of Promises, Promises, also condemned Mr Setoodeh's views, calling them "horrendously homophobic".

Gay actor Jonathan Groff was also criticised for playing Rachel's heterosexual love interest in Glee.

Mr Setoodeh said that his performance in the hit TV show "feels off", adding: "He scowls - is that a substitute for being straight?"

Murphy has called for the writer to join him on the set of Glee and has asked Newsweek to apologise to the actors who were cited by the author.

His open letter also expressed his "shock" at the article because Mr Setoodeh is gay.
    BBC News - Glee creator Ryan Murphy urges magazine snub

Personally I think that Jonathan Groff is great as Jesse (I haven't seen this week's episode yet but I've heard he's not in it and that saddens me. )
    Last edited by Critical; 05-12-2010 at 07:37 PM. Reason: just fixing the quote tags :-)
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Has anybody actually read the article? I don't mean ya'll here since I'm assuming you all have before commenting on it. I'm talking about all these people up in arms about it or are they just going off the "sound bites" taken out of context that are circulating everywhere.

It wasn't that bad! Yes, he was an idiot in it but it wasn't like he went way out there and said something horrific. I feel that some of the people responding (the celebs) are just doing it to get their names in the papers and get some publicity.

The article was nothing other than lazy journalism. I get what he was trying to say "That being an out gay actor starting out it is close to impossible to get a good role because the directors don't think a gay actor can play a straight character and have the audience believe it over the tabloid articles." Blah..blah....BUT where the writer failed was that instead of sticking to his point and getting it across, he veered off into a crazy left field that had nothing to do with his opening comments.

He should be tarred and feathered for being a lazy and irrelevant writer but not for what he is being accused of....just my opinion after reading the article and many of the comments made about it including the ones made by Chenoweth.

...I get what he was trying to say "That being an out gay actor starting out it is close to impossible to get a good role because the directors don't think a gay actor can play a straight character and have the audience believe it over the tabloid articles." ...
    I read the article and that wasn't the impression I got at all. I came away with the impression that he believed that gay men cannot...absolutely no-way-whatsoever cannot...play believable straight men. Ever. At any time. Just starting out, after years in the business, ever. I mean, the opening paragraph was how Sean Hayes couldn't play a straight man in Promises, Promises, opposite Kristin Chenoweth.

Sean Hayes isn't just starting out...he's been acting for years. I cheered Kristin's response :-)

PS I just read the author's reply to the various comments. What he was trying to do was start a discussion based on perceptions v acting, and can we (the audience) find a gay actor believable as a straight man? Personally, I think we can.
    Last edited by TripleGemini; 05-12-2010 at 07:13 PM. Reason: add PS

FORT Fogey

Yes, I've read the article, Kristen's response, and the subsequent fallout.

Basically Setoodeh said that he had a hard time accepting (out) gay actors in straight roles. He used Groff, Sean Hayes, and Rock Hudson as examples, essentially saying that knowing their private preferences colored his perception of the characters that they played.

Chenowith took extreme exception to his saying that her castmates Hayes and Groff were unconvincing because they were gay. (It's perfectly understandable that she would feel that way.) Her argument is that a good actor can play anything, "whether we’re playing prostitutes, baseball players, or the Lion King".

She's right, of course. But then that wasn't the point Setoodeh was making. He was saying that he, personally, found it hard to reconcile the fantasy and the fact. And if that's the way he feels, well either a performance works for you or it doesn't. You can't argue that somebody shouldn't feel what they feel. He's not going to suddenly be OK with Jonathon Groff snogging Lea Michele just because Kristen Chenowith has good arguments as to why it shouldn't make any difference.

Mr. Setoodeh muses how weird it is that this interferes with some performances and not others. He notes that (publicly) straight actors playing gay don't seem to have this obstacle. Some comedy performances like Neil Patrick Harris in How I Met Your Mother go over well. He never claims that this squeamishness is universal, but does suggest that he can't be the only one who feels this way.

Personally, I can't say that I've had the same experience as Mr. Setoodeh. I haven't seen Promises, but I saw the TV movie Sean Hayes did where he played Jerry Lewis and I thought he was great. I think Jonathon Groff is dreamy as Jesse and I totally understand why Rachel would be swept off her feet. But if others feel differently, I think that it's a perfectly valid subject for discussion.

+ Reply to Thread