+ Reply to Thread
Page 29 of 274 FirstFirst ... 19202122232425262728293031323334353637383979129 ... LastLast
Like Tree656Likes

Thread: Glee

re: GLEE

Well said, Katydid. If there is anyone out there that seriously watches Glee and thinks that all gay men are like Kurt, or all cheerleaders are like Quinn, or all jocks are like Finn or Puck, or all handicapped people are like Artie, etc.... then they need to get their collective heads out of their collective arses because they are fools (collectively ).

That being said, however, I do know gay men that are just like Kurt. And I absolutely LOVE the heart that they are giving him. I think they are making him very human... and if someone is so close minded and bigoted to look at Kurt and be unable to accept that SOME gay men are like him... then I feel sad for them. Very, very sad.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;3755666;
    Well said, Katydid. If there is anyone out there that seriously watches Glee and thinks that all gay men are like Kurt, or all cheerleaders are like Quinn, or all jocks are like Finn or Puck, or all handicapped people are like Artie, etc.... then they need to get their collective heads out of their collective arses because they are fools (collectively ).

That being said, however, I do know gay men that are just like Kurt. And I absolutely LOVE the heart that they are giving him. I think they are making him very human... and if someone is so close minded and bigoted to look at Kurt and be unable to accept that SOME gay men are like him... then I feel sad for them. Very, very sad.
    I completely agree that it's ridiculous that people would come to that conclusion.............but they do. I grew up in the south and have many friends that live back there and while I've never heard their opinion on Glee, I remember some of the ridiculous statements that were made about Jack on Will and Grace. I do know many gay people, some that are like Kurt and some that are the polar opposite, but I know many people who don't know any gay people (or think they don't know any gay people ) that do think all gay men are like that because of the stereotypes they see on shows like this. I do see your point about how all the characters are stereotypes but none seem SO over the top and forced as Kurt. For instance, yes, Quinn is the classic bitchy cheerleader stereotype BUT we've also got to see her human, sweet side. In terms of Kurt's sexuality I feel it's played 100% over the top cliche 100% of the time and for me it gets tired. I don't agree with my friend that it should be taken as an insult but I do understand where he's coming from.

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ace Medallion;3755705;
    I completely agree that it's ridiculous that people would come to that conclusion.............but they do. I grew up in the south and have many friends that live back there and while I've never heard their opinion on Glee, I remember some of the ridiculous statements that were made about Jack on Will and Grace. I do know many gay people, some that are like Kurt and some that are the polar opposite, but I know many people who don't know any gay people (or think they don't know any gay people ) that do think all gay men are like that because of the stereotypes they see on shows like this. I do see your point about how all the characters are stereotypes but none seem SO over the top and forced as Kurt. For instance, yes, Quinn is the classic bitchy cheerleader stereotype BUT we've also got to see her human, sweet side. In terms of Kurt's sexuality I feel it's played 100% over the top cliche 100% of the time and for me it gets tired. I don't agree with my friend that it should be taken as an insult but I do understand where he's coming from.
    Now see i dont see him playing it THAT over the top 100% of the time. But then agian i have known gay men as bad or worse than him.

I think Kurt is amazing, and because of how hes shown here or how hes acted I feel he has become a very courageous. Hes NOT being that sterotypical gay male and pushing it like Jack on Will and Grace. Hes gone out for football, hes backed down on things he wanted that made it hard on him or his dad because he was openly gay.

Kurt is proud of who he is but isn't as over the top as he could be. Most of how we see him is around friends.. and everyone tends to be more open with their actions and words. No I am not a gay male, but I do not see him as bad as he could be.. and we all know he could be worse! If this was how people see a typical gay male, I dont think it is that bad, Kurt is a warm, caring, smart, fun and honest person. I dont see how he can be insulting at all.. as much as I loved Jack, I think he would have been more the insult than Kurt.
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

I just watched last week's episode & it had it all! I was ROFL at the endless Love song & everyone thoughts. Then crying when Finn told his mom about the baby and at the end when Quinn came to stay with them. Poor Finn, he's going to be devastated when he finds out the baby is not his.

As for the question about Kurt being over the top, I don't think he's any worse than the nephew in Ugly Betty, but I guess that show is kind of the same kind of quirky comedy.
    Phil: Claire likes to say "You can be part of the problem, or part of the solution." But I happen to believe you can be both. Modern Family

Actually, I don't see Kurt's behavior in terms being "bad" or "could be worse," or others "not as bad as he is." Being flamboyant -- for a male or female, gay or straight -- isn't bad. It just "is."
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;3756532;
    Actually, I don't see Kurt's behavior in terms being "bad" or "could be worse," or others "not as bad as he is." Being flamboyant -- for a male or female, gay or straight -- isn't bad. It just "is."
    Couldn't have said it better myself
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I loved this episode.

I cried (and watched it three times) when the deaf choir performed and the glee members joined them. That song always gets to me and it did even more so tonight.

My husband asked me why I don't have a pair of those black pants Rachel was wearing. Uhm...because I'd look like an overstuffed sausage in the casing.

Loved how Quinn wrangled those kids! What's that smell? Soap.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

I loved this episode too. Imagine chokes me up at the best of times, last night I was balling like a baby (but it was a happy cry) Quinn giving Shu an awkward hug was sweet. Too many sweet moments last night to count. The catty ones.. yikes! Who knew Kurt could be so bitchy, everything he said to Rachel was actually a kindness. Most annoying people don't realize how annoying they are until someone tells them... repeatedly. Santana sexting with Puck and snapping on Quinn about 'her man'. Isn't Santana the one who dumped Puck because of his lack of bank account? She changed her tune.
    Terrie's sister kills me. No one can be as clueless as those two sisters... although the Reunite on ice every night when mom was pregnant cleared some things up LOL
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Glad to know I wasn't the only one bawling like a baby during Imagine last night. I love this show!

Quote Originally Posted by pfeifferdcat;3756517;
    As for the question about Kurt being over the top, I don't think he's any worse than the nephew in Ugly Betty.
    He is not as "bad" as the nephew on Ugly Betty, because at least Kurt can admit he is gay, and the show can admit it. Unless Ugly Betty is going to pursue the topic of why some teens lie to themselves and others, it is just disingenuous to make the nephew so flaming and then have him claim that he is not gay.

+ Reply to Thread