+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree652Likes

Thread: Glee

FORT Fogey

Re: Glee

I keep thinking of Ryan Murphy's LOST....and how it started so big and then it did get "lost" and nobody could follow what was going on. He has had longer to screw up GLEE but boy he sure has. I was glad to see the coach, but stop having Shue dance around with the kids. This is the second episode where that has gone on. I know MM is a Broadway guy.....but he just looks silly dancing on this show
    Ellen likes this.

well I picked a good one to miss. Actually I caught the last 10 min or so...but I wont be going back to watch this one then lol
    "Love is not a fight, but it's something worth fighting for"- Warren Barfield

FORT Fogey

Hate, hate what they are doing with Becki. She was inappropriate last week with Artie, but just over the top in bad behavior this week. Stop already putting the wrong words in the disabled kid's mouth. She is supposed to be a role-model for disability, not a foul mouthed slut.
    mesachick likes this.

I watched parts of the episode and didn't record it. I didn't want to. It was terrible. It's even worse than Ryan's other project, American Horror Story. Ryan Murphy needs a spanking. AND I don't even believe in spankings! What a waste of time, energy money and talent. I guess he's convinced himself he's all that and no one will tell him the truth anymore. Poor cast had to endure that script. I can't even imagine.
    Cornholio likes this.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

OMG that was awful... I couldn't believe it was as bad as you said, but if anything it was worse. About the only thing I agreed wth was the crabby cheerleader's assessment of the sexy songs they were doing for the Virgin Mary, and I'm not even a believer. And to believe that Marley would go along with them... not likely. And totally agree about Becky...ok, Sue has given her too much power, but to have it come out in that way? I'm not saying Down Syndrome teens won't have romantic feelings, but where would she get the idea that that's the appropriate way to handle them? She doesn't have to be a saint, but how about not using language that would, as they used to say, make a sailor blush? Plus all the racist comments, but I guess she's picking up some of that abusive language from Sue. Maybe it's all supposed to be coming from her idolizing Sue...??
    And the sexy Santa, etc....way embarrassing even before they got back to the apt.
    And Tina screaming about the angel at the start...
    Usually I like either the NY or the Lima plot, sometimes both...this time they were both awful.
    Cornholio likes this.

The stuff with Becky has been bothering me for a while. I've known a number of people with Down Syndrome and that kind of behavior and language just isn't in their nature. I have to question the judgement of TPTB if they think that's funny. It's not funny: it's crass and insulting.

I didn't think the episode was horrible, but it was "meh." I thought the whole "this is an episode from last year" stuff was silly and unnecessary. As someone upthread mentioned (I think), this isn't the quality of episode they should put out if they want viewers to come back in February.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

They give us the worst episode ever and then ask us to come back in February???

PWS
    FORT Fogey

One other thing that bothers me about the Becky stuff---basically they are telling the actress that this kind of speech is appropriate and funny. The actress who plays Becky is obviously very high functioning or she couldn't rattle off all those strings of offensive remarks, but she does really seem to have have Downs, so I hope someone is making it really clear to her that the things she's saying on the show should not be said in real life.

A friend of mine has a 19 yo daughter with DS and she's a lot like Becky. Not quite as foul, but she does curse and she does tell you how it is and what she thinks. I don't think that they should portray her like this, though. A lot of people out there don't actually know anyone with DS and this isn't the best way to educate them. Peopke with DS are just like regular people.....they have individual personalities. Some are sweet and some aren't. I wish Becky was.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

Just saw this episode. Some unaired episodes are better left unaired.
    waywyrd, Miss_Griss, march and 2 others like this.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

+ Reply to Thread