+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 273 FirstFirst ... 14151617181920212223242526272829303132333474124 ... LastLast
Like Tree652Likes

Thread: Glee

Occasional commenter WrigleyDogA2's Avatar

re: GLEE

Quote Originally Posted by Katydyd;3743947;
    PWS, I loved the show (my fave along with Chorus Line)...but had a heck of a time getting into the book....I just couldn't do it. From what I've heard they're very different. Well, basic story line is the same, but....I know people rave about the book though, so I'd assume since you're enjoying that, you'd enjoy the show too. "Defying Gravity" is a phenominal song, and I'm sure Lea (and her co-diva ) will knock it out of the park!!!
    Agree with you on both the book and the musical! I love the show, it is so great. I didn't have a hard time getting in to the book, I just felt like I was missing something. I've read it twice now and I feel like there is something missing. Some piece of info that isn't shared with the reader or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Katydyd;3743947;
    PWS, I loved the show (my fave along with Chorus Line)...but had a heck of a time getting into the book....I just couldn't do it. From what I've heard they're very different. Well, basic story line is the same, but....I know people rave about the book though, so I'd assume since you're enjoying that, you'd enjoy the show too. "Defying Gravity" is a phenominal song, and I'm sure Lea (and her co-diva ) will knock it out of the park!!!
    I haven't seen the show, but based on many rave reviews, I did give the book a try. I just hated it. Hated it so much that I can't ever see myself going to see the show (not that I could drag Mr. Rattus to a musical, anyway ). There are a number of books that I've tried and failed at over the years that I could see the attraction to other people, but the idea of enjoying Wicked just left me bemused.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;3744137;
    I haven't seen the show, but based on many rave reviews, I did give the book a try. I just hated it. Hated it so much that I can't ever see myself going to see the show (not that I could drag Mr. Rattus to a musical, anyway ). There are a number of books that I've tried and failed at over the years that I could see the attraction to other people, but the idea of enjoying Wicked just left me bemused.
    The musical is nothing like the book! I have a feeling, since you are watching Glee, that you just might like Wicked.

Quote Originally Posted by twochicklets;3744146;
    The musical is nothing like the book! I have a feeling, since you are watching Glee, that you just might like Wicked.
    Well, that's not going to happen . First, getting Mr. Rattus to New York . It's not that he has anything against New York, in fact, he likes it very much. But the expense and the long drive? Like getting blood from a stone to get him to cave. And then getting him to a musical? Even more difficult than the blood from a stone scenario. I tried gently nudging him into seeing Spamalot, Evil Dead: The Musical and/or Sweeney Todd, but no dice. If people are singing their dialogue, he's leaving the theatre.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

I read the book before I had heard of the musical and I loved it. Haven't seen the musical, nor can I even imagine what it might be like! I have heard good things about it though, but no idea if it will ever get close enough for me to see it...

On the topic of the show, I just adore GLEE. I do like Noah better that the dopey Finn, I just find him more entertaining. The whole concept of him dating Rachel just because he thought he should go out with a Jewish girl was hilarious!

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Yes, I can't imagine the book as a musical....it is quite depressing. This is actually the 3rd time I've started it I think, and usually I have no trouble getting into books,especially ones with such an entertaining concept...Oz from the "wicked witch of the west's" viewpoint, where she's the heroine and Dorothy is a minor character who only comes in at the end. At least I'm almost at the end, and so far Dorothy and the witch haven't even met up, and Dorothy only "arrived" in Oz about 30 pages ago. Anyway, this time I will finish it, have gotten interested enough--and I'm not letting any other books near by bedside table until it's done! For those who wonder what it's about, it's the story of the witch's life, from the time she's born green into an otherwise fairly normal Oz family...how she's treated; she's bright and goes to the university where she doesn't exactly meld with sorority type rich girls, etc., how she comes to be called and kind of become a "witch", her love life, where the flying monkeys come from, where the ruby slippers come from, and her life long relationshp with water. Also a lot about the politics of Oz, the brutal regime of the Wizard, etc. Very different than the Baum Oz books, even when all the same characters are there.
    So looking forward to the Glee song, to get a taste of the musical. So far Glee's introduced me to a number of songs I've heard of but never heard before...e.g., The Thong Song.
    Last edited by PWS; 11-05-2009 at 05:40 PM.

Wow. Even though they foreshadowed it a bit, that moment with Sue and her sister took my breath away. It's the mark of a great show that the characters are so complex instead of the archetypes we see on so many shows. These people are complicated and no one is all good or all bad. Kind of like life.

Rachel sang "Defying Gravity" better than Curt, IMO, even before he blew that note. He has a beautiful, pure voice, but she is just in another league.

The previews for next week and Rachel's crush on Shue are hysterical.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Tonights show was fantastic. I loved Dancing By Myself. Didn't realize just how good of a voice that kid has. Puck is definitely growing on me. He's an ass, but he means well...lol.

Loved Sue and her sister. I teared up during that scene. A softer side of Sue. Who knew? And what an actress! You could see the love on her face for her sister. Beautifully done.

The only things I didn't like were the fact that the previews showed Puck blurting that he's the father and they didn't show it. I'm assuming it's going to air later this season. I can't wait! The second thing I didn't like...no Emma.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

I, like Shue, was afraid of an ulterior motive when Sue selected the DS girl to be a Cheerio. When they showed her visiting her sister - wow, what excellent writing and acting. I was hoping there was some depth to Sue when she said that the girl 'just wanted to be treated like everyone else.' (My mother-in-law's older sister had DS, so that is particularly close to my heart.)

Loved the focus on Artie, and was sad (but understood) his reaction to stutter girl's revelation. Hope they work it out - they would be a cute couple.

Rachel may have sounded better than Curt, but there was a poignancy to Curt's rendition that had me rooting for him. To find out that he threw it at the end to protect his father... Dang, this show is fantastic!
    "I reject your reality and substitute my own!" Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Yeah, I was off this show for the last couple of episodes, but I'm back on board. I loved last night's show. Glad to see they are making the characters have more dimension's to them. The coach and her sister, and Curt's interaction with his father were my favourite parts, as well as Proud Mary. Great show last night.

+ Reply to Thread