+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree652Likes

Thread: Glee

Re: Glee

What the heck happened to Glee?
    When did it become High School Musical?
    I half expected Mickey Rooney to show up & say "Hey kids! Let's put on a show!"

I skipped last season so I don't know when it went in this direction, but when this show started in was kind of a anti-High School Musical. With outlandish hysterical offbeat storylines, snarky characters, teenagers pulling ridiculous stunts they'd never get away with in real life. Adults being as immature & quirky as the kids, if not moreso. Sue, the Hitlerish domineering cheerleading head. All this with singing & some choreography thrown in because of it centering around the Glee Club.
    I laughed at the crazy storylines, cringed at some of the characters, & enjoyed the musicals.

The storylines are darned near gone now, & what there is is bland & watered down. It's all about elaborate musical productions now, one right after the other. And a bunch of bland whitebread interchangable teens.

The only thing left of the original concept is Sue, thank God, just as obsessive & outlandish as ever.
    Ellen, Miss_Griss, AmyKay and 1 others like this.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Agree that "Yesterday" was absolutely beautifully done It was definitely my favorite number of the night. And a montage of Cory would have been great. But I also see where his absence does need to be adressed with the entire cast - Finn and Rachel didn't exist in a bubble. Hopefully out of respect to Cory and those that loved him, it will be tastefully done.

I agree too the engagement thing was waaaay over the top....especially for a high schooler However, was I the only one who thought the words were incredibly romantic? I was trying to listen to just what he was saying, and while it was (IMO) really rather beautiful, all I kept thinking was how ridiculous it was for a high schooler to have come up with that. I have given Glee a lot of wiggle room over the last few years....but this was pretty hard to let slide. Hopefully they're planning on a loooooooooooong engagement.
    "With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world."
    Desiderata

"I lost my dignity on a slippery wiener."

I watched this season premiere and found nothing that pulled me back into the show. I realized when it was done that I really don't care what happens to these characters anymore. I'm not a big Beatles fan and ended up fast-forwarding through the majority of the show. I loved Glee in the first couple of seasons, but it really is a different show now and I think *this* show may end up deleted from my DVR in short order.

I really enjoyed the Yesterday song as well. I was teary eyed at the end. Goodness knows how Leah was able to go back to work so soon after Corey's death. I am not sure I would have been.

Other than that, the show pretty much sucked. It was so much better when we had storylines that we could follow. Kitty and Artie??? When the heck did that happen. Last season it looked like her and Ryder were growing close, Artie was no were near the picture. Blaine and Kurt - yuck. This storyline is old - Rachel and Finn already did it. I am definitely going to watch the Corey tribute episode in two weeks, but not sure how much longer I can watch after that. The show is just way too chopped up now.
    Last edited by mesachick; 09-27-2013 at 04:33 PM.
    JavaJo likes this.
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

I'm still in until the bitter end. The show isn't what it once was, but I still care about the characters and I enjoy the music.

The "let's get engaged in high school" stuff is ridiculous. First it was Rachel and Finn and now Kurt and Blaine. It's not going to last. I got the feeling that, if there hadn't been a crowd is people around, Kurt might not have said yes.

I was sort of puzzled by the inclusion of "Got To Get You Into My Life" if this episode was supposed to be early Beatles. I don't really consider Revolver to be "early." I'm probably nitpicking....

"Yesterday" had me in tears as it always does. This time, there was even more emotion behind it.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Heather Morris (Brittany) had her baby. It's a boy named Elijah.
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

I liked this episode better the second time I watched it. I love the Beatles so it was a treat for me.

I am confused as to why those kids are so into high school engagements. Really? That's so 50's, IMO. I keep waiting for someone to say, you're in high school for goodness sake, wait a few years. Yeah, I get that speech from dad about wishing he had married earlier since his wife died......I don't buy it.

I am worried that Santana is going to get a part in Funny Girl and not Rachel.

I read rumors on The Quarterback episode and teared up.
    Last edited by babymay; 10-03-2013 at 06:42 PM.
    You've got to kiss a few frogs before you find your prince!

Quote Originally Posted by babymay View Post
    I am worried that Santana is going to get a part in Funny Girl and not Rachel.

I read rumors on The Quarterback episode and teared up.
    Yeah. I'm pretty sure that something along those lines is going to happen. She certainly shone more in that number than Rachel did, and I'm sure that was no accident. Unless they really change the story line of Funny Girl, she's not going to get the lead, but I'll be really surprised if something doesn't happen where Santana gets a part in something important and Rachel doesn't.
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss_Griss View Post
    Yeah. I'm pretty sure that something along those lines is going to happen. She certainly shone more in that number than Rachel did, and I'm sure that was no accident. Unless they really change the story line of Funny Girl, she's not going to get the lead, but I'll be really surprised if something doesn't happen where Santana gets a part in something important and Rachel doesn't.
    Like a "Yeast-i-stat" commercial? Lord help me but before I fully thought through how yuck it was, I cracked up at "I like yeast in my bagel, but not in my muffin."

Babymay, I saw the rumored song line up too. If true, they chose some excellent ones, and I'm pretty well guaranteed to bawl through the whole show. The song that Lea is supposed to sing...
    JavaJo likes this.
    "With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world."
    Desiderata

"I lost my dignity on a slippery wiener."

+ Reply to Thread