+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree656Likes

Thread: Glee

Re: Glee

Oh please, please, please have it NOT be Unique that is the catfisher. Ryder is so not gay, Unique should know this, so I am really hoping the show goes with something that makes sense and have it be a girl.

I am still not buying in to the Becky brought a gun to school with her plot as anything relatable. Plus what did Sue think would actually happen to Becky with the truth known? Not a great way to teach a kid a lesson. Do something unbelievably stupid, and an adult will cover it up for you. Considering she has Down's Syndrome, coupled with the fact that she didn't bring the gun to school to actually shoot someone, she would have gotten off with a slap on the wrist I am sure. I wonder what the real reason is for giving Jane some time off the show?
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    When I was a classroom teacher in a public middle school in Milwaukee more than 20 years ago, I was in a lockdown situation because of a 12-year-old running the halls with a loaded gun. To me, given my experience, this episode was completely unrealistic and bordering on stupid. It was obviously written and directed by people who've never been in this sort of situation, nor did they do enough research.
    I'm so sorry you and your students had to go through that, Ellen, but I admit I'm also curious as to how reality differed (other than what I'm sure will be the relatively happy ending here). It seemed to me they showed a variety of responses....I found the Brittany scene just terrifying, and/or the actress just terrifyingly good in it, but I don't know if that is what you found unrealistic vs. the noisier scene in the club room.... or was that not it at all? I hope never to be in such a situation, but if I were I guess I'd like to know what really to expect. Only if you feel like writing about it of course.

CCL

Every school shooting is the same...and every school shooting is different. They're all, in the end, specific to their own experience. I thought the one that was shown on Glee was very powerful. I concur with the ones who singled out Brittany's scenes. I can imagine her knees beginning to ache but being to terrified to move an inch. There were a couple of instances that irked (when Shue told them to tweet or text everyone what was going on I was thinking "Stop tweeting and call the cops, honestly!" and Shue leaving the choir room before the all clear). But overall I liked it, more than a lot of episodes of late.
    I did wonder how no one in the hall saw a shooter and why no one was mentioning that, before Sue's confession. When Sue came forward it was immediately apparent she was covering for Becky. And she practically said as much to Shue so I expect him and Becky to have a heart to heart next week and the truth to come out.
    I don't really care about Ryder but I want to know the identity already.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by ibot2much View Post
    I will guess the "stalker" will come out of left field and the story line will be something unimaginable.

Noticed again that the GLEE PROJECT winner, the dred kid was not in the show. Only one who is still on was one of the non winners...Alex
    Samuel, the GLEE PROJECT winner, has been filming a movie. I don't know if that's why he's been MIA for the last few shows or if he's really gone for good.
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

I'm assuming Sue knew there was a zero tolerance policy for guns at school, which would apply to Becky, who is presumably already not having an easy time making it through high school.

Could be PWS, but still, not a good thing to do especially with school shootings being all over the news lately. I think that part was not handled well at all. No matter what Becky's reasons were, she should have faced the consequences of her actions, just like anyone else would have.

Now the part with Brittney was crazy good, as well as what was going on in the classroom. I also thought having them video tape their *goodbye* messages to their loved ones quite powerful as well.
    Ellen likes this.
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

I finally got around to watching it, and I didn't like it. I felt like it trivialized a serious issue. The acting was good, but I just didn't like seeing them do a show on this. I thought it was stupid to have Sue do what she did. Becky didn't need to be protected in that way.
    Ellen likes this.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

Having had a chance to sleep on it, this episode bugs me even more today than it did last night. I realize that it's just a TV show, but REALLY!!! Sue knew exactly what had happened and that no one was in danger, yet she let the kids stew in their fear for how long? Long enough for the SWAT team to come in and check out the building. (How much did that cost, I wonder?) Long enough for them to experience totally unnecessary fear that will stay with them for a long time, especially since they still don't know that they were never really in danger, that there isn't anyone in their school who wanted to do them harm.

That's just wrong on so many levels. All she had to do was take Becky and the gun to Figgin's office, explain what happened, get Becky's parents there to take her and the gun home, have him make an announcement over the loudspeaker that everything is OK, etc., etc. It's a no-brainer. The repercussions for Becky would have been minor, I'm guessing. Again, I realize it's just a TV show, but given the extent of Sue's poor judgement, I can't imagine how she could have her job back if the real story came out. What she actually did is much worse than the story she made up.
    ibot2much likes this.

CCL

They said that any student found with a gun would have been expelled full-stop. I don't see how they could have made an exception for Becky without an uproar. That's why Sue kept silent.
    Critical likes this.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss_Griss View Post
    I finally got around to watching it, and I didn't like it. I felt like it trivialized a serious issue. The acting was good, but I just didn't like seeing them do a show on this. I thought it was stupid to have Sue do what she did. Becky didn't need to be protected in that way.
    I don't think it trivialized the issue at all. The reactions were, I thought, authentic. A show like Glee is not going to have a real Columbine-style school shooting with a bunch of casualties. I also thought it made perfect sense that Sue would protect Becky, however mis-guided she was in doing so.
    Last edited by Critical; 04-14-2013 at 06:03 PM.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread