+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree656Likes

Thread: Glee

Re: Glee

I watched last night's episode out of curiosity seeing as much of my twitter timeline was commenting on it. I couldn't help but compare it to One Tree Hill's Season 3 episode involving a school shooting. I thought that one was so much better than this one. I used to enjoy this show but lately I don't watch it other than maybe some clips of the NYC stuff.
    "The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one." ~Elbert Hubbard
    "Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product." ~Eleanor Roosevelt
    ~R.I.P. Grandma 6/22/33 - 10/5/10~

I don't think it's unusual at all for Sue to protect Becky like she did, especially considering that both her own sister had and her daughter has Down Syndrome. Of all the students at that school, Becky is probably the only one Sue would shield like that, whether it's foolish or not. Obviously, she knew she would lose her job or worse, but she was still willing to protect Becky, who clearly had no idea what Brittany meant with her advice about being prepared, nor did she understand the consequences of bringing the gun to school. My guess is that Becky finds out what happened and comes forward, thus allowing Figgins to give Sue her job back (without charges, of course, because it's TV). I can't see any way RM would let Jane Lynch go.

I thought it was a good, solid episode. I thought the acting was terrific, from pretty much all involved. I was worried, when I'd seen a story about the shooting plot and then the episode started with Ryder finding out about being catfished, that he was the one with the gun. I'm so relieved that wasn't the case. I thought he was very good in this episode. It goes to show why RM really needed to change his method of choosing the winner on TGP after season 1. I still think Alex is horrible and fake. The shot where we first saw Brittany crouched on the toilet seat was so powerful. I thought Heather Morris did a great job with those scenes and she's not one that I consider to be very good with dramatic stuff. The moment when Shue came into the bathroom had me in tears.

I absolutely understood the upset and quiet talking in the choir room. After all, it's a scary situation AND these are teenagers. They don't always think clearly. Plus, they did need a little drama in that room. A bunch of kids sitting and quietly crying for over 30 minutes isn't really riveting television.

I'd love to see Ken Tanaka come back! I felt so sorry for the actor (and for Dijon Talton) because he got dumped after season 1, right when the show was hitting the peak of its popularity. He and Bieste together might be fun.

I didn't miss the NYC crew at all this week. I think the problem with this season is that the split focus between McKinley and the graduated students has kept viewers from getting to know the new glee clubbers.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Does anyone know who the catfisher is?

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    Does anyone know who the catfisher is?

I am pretty sure that it has not been shown

Yeah great acting/writing that is, for anyone who hasn't been a teacher in a gun/shooting related lockdown. Whatever. Believe what you want. Even if I did explain the details, most people would not (do not) understand. So be it. I hope you never have to learn firsthand. It's not pretty. It's more practical than dramatic. Even for the kids.
    Granted, what I went through with my students would not garner ratings on U.S. corporate TV.
    So, yeah yay. Kudos. Emmy.
    Last edited by Ellen; 04-12-2013 at 03:18 PM.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Critical, I completely agree I thought the for the type of show Glee is, they did an excellent job. I'm not sure how any of us can say what we would do or how we would behave given that situation unless we've been it...Ellen, I can only imagine how terrifying it must have been for you. I'm so sorry you had to go through that. And even if we as an individual could correctly assess what we would do, everyone handles pressure differently. I think Glee showed that aspect of it really well. I can understand being frozen in fear, and I can understand if that sheer terror eventually broke you until you weren't thinking rationally and just had to do something (like CO). I was actually really surprised by the performances of both CO and HM. Neither has been the strongest actor (IMO), but they both did an excellent job last night. Brittany silent in the stall with her tears plinking into the water below was really powerful.

I also completely understood Sue taking the rap for Becky...for all the excellent reasons Critical has already pointed out! I've seen some posts (not here) that were critical that they "used the girl with Downs Syndrome" as the shooter - but I disagree. To me, it just emphasizes that it could have been anyone. Just because Becky has DS, she has the same types of fears and need to feel secure as any teen might. Sadly, I dare say Becky is not the only teenager who has ever felt the need to bring a gun to school for protection. Not to mention - what a great opportunity for the actress who plays her! A real shooter in the halls of McKinley just wouldn't fit Glee at all. And the original "Sue had an accident cleaning her gun" was a bit of a let down. I think in the end, they were able to deliver an important message in an emotional way, within the confines of the Glee universe.

On a lighter note....who the heck is catfishing Ryder???? Inquiring minds really want to know!!
    "With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world."
    Desiderata

"I lost my dignity on a slippery wiener."

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    Yeah — great acting/writing — that is, for anyone who hasn't been a teacher in a gun/shooting related lockdown. Whatever. Believe what you want. Even if I did explain the details, most people would not (do not) understand. So be it. I hope you never have to learn firsthand. It's not pretty. It's more practical than dramatic. Even for the kids.
    Granted, what I went through with my students would not garner ratings on U.S. corporate TV.
    So, yeah — yay. Kudos. Emmy.
    I can't even imagine what it must be like. Still, like Katydyd mentioned, every person and situation is different. We can't know how we or anyone else would react. Plus, this is Glee we're talking about, not Law & Order. The standard for realism is different. Plus, like I said, no one wants to watch 30+ minutes of kids sitting quietly. I thought the show did a good job with the storyline.

Pretty sure we'll find out that Unique (my LEAST favorite character on the show) is the one catfishing Ryder. We all of a sudden found out that he and Kitty are close last night, so makes sense that their backpacks would be close together in the choir room. Did we even know they were friends before she ran across the room to hug him? Weird.

Brittany's tears plinking into the water and the metronome in the choir room were really effective.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

FORT Fogey

That is why that story line so strange. There were no hints at all as to whom it might be, nor any reason suggested. Unique is as good a guess as any , but the sudden closeness of Unique and Kitty felt so fake.
    Ellen likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I can't even imagine what it must be like. Still, like Katydyd mentioned, every person and situation is different. We can't know how we or anyone else would react. Plus, this is Glee we're talking about, not Law & Order. The standard for realism is different. Plus, like I said, no one wants to watch 30+ minutes of kids sitting quietly. I thought the show did a good job with the storyline.
    True. I am not in a great position to have a good opinion on this as regards fluff entertainment.

Pretty sure we'll find out that Unique (my LEAST favorite character on the show) is the one catfishing Ryder.
    That's what I think, too.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Article, including an interview with Lauren Potter about last night's episode: 'Glee' School Shooting Episode: Lauren Potter, Who Plays Becky, Opens Up About Shocking Moment

+ Reply to Thread