+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree652Likes

Thread: Glee

Re: Glee

Quote Originally Posted by Katydyd View Post
    Loved the Coach B story line last night.....and the fact that she went back to Cooter. Not because that makes me happy, but because it's probably one of the most realistic things they've done on Glee. To have the kids sing one song and Beist fesses' up and leaves him would have done a huge disservice to the many women (and men) who are in abusive relationships. As a former social worker, I can tell you statistically it takes seven times for a woman to leave before she actually stays gone. And Beist's feelings of insecurity are all too common...even among some of the "Quinn's" out there. I hope they continue the story line. One, because it's a wothwhile one, and two because I'm all for anything that gives Dot Jones more airtime
    If they kept up with this story line and the interaction of those teachers like that I would have probably start watching with more interest again. It statistically takes 7 times for a woman to leave and don't forget all the ones that leave only because there was a catastrophic event and who would continue going back and forth and back and forth.

Quote Originally Posted by cantstopwatchin View Post
    I love Dot Jones. She had me in tears last night but I HATE how she went back. I don't know what the statistics are for women who stay in that kind of abusive relationship but I'd hoped she'd really left him.
    My mother's best friend used to work for House of Ruth and it's horrifying how many women go back to their abuser again and again. She said they'd get the women healed and safe and ready to move on with a new home and job and then they would go back to the man who abused them. Heartbreaking. IMO, it's more realistic to show Bieste going back to him. I only hope she gets out eventually and before he really does damage.

I still watch the show, but I find myself flipping channels or just not paying attention. I wonder if the potential infusion of new students next season will help things or make it worse.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I wonder if the potential infusion of new students next season will help things or make it worse.
    I fear worse.

I think the new infusion will make things worse. I've already got waning interest and I don't have the motivation to learn new students. To me it's like Saved by the Bell the college years (or heart beat). Bunch of new people and same premise but I had already lost interest by then and didn't really care about who remained on the show.

I really disliked this episode.

I like Coach Bieste and I'm happy to see more of her, but I hate this story. It is way too far into "after school special" territory for me. I'm just frustrated about so many facets of this story.

I hated the Puck hitting on his teacher bit. I used to really like this character, but it's like they are trying to ruin him. We already had a creepy Puck-teacher story line. They didn't need to go there again. At all. I didn't see the failing grade on his test that everyone else seems to have noticed...

Rachel choking just wasn't very believable. I am tired of her. Let her get into some artsy school just so we don't have to see her anymore.

While I was glad Kurt went with his heart and sang the song he wanted, it was a little ridiculous that he had two layers of clothes on and his Phantom costume had tear-away seams.

This episode was full of bad cover songs. I really disliked Puck's cover of School's Out for Summer and like another poster said, the Rain in Spain was like nails on a chalkboard. In addition, the girls in Glee are not idiots. I really don't think they would be dense enough to sing Cell Block Tango as a female empowerment anthem. It was really just an excuse to work that number into the show and I found the performance itself rather distasteful. The song the girls sang to Bieste near the end was the best one of the night.
    pikachu likes this.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher View Post
    I didn't see the failing grade on his test that everyone else seems to have noticed.
    They showed Puck looking at his paper with a big red F on it while Rachel was singing "Cry".

It's at the 1:45 mark on this video.
    Glee - Cry (Full Performance) (Official Music Video) - YouTube

Sheesh, on New Girl, they joked about her old boyfriend being an ugly crier. Rachel has him beat for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher View Post
    Rachel choking just wasn't very believable. I am tired of her. Let her get into some artsy school just so we don't have to see her anymore.
    Lea Michele has said that this is a recurring nightmare of hers with that specific song on the Glee tour. I think it's probably realistic. Look at Christina Aguilera forgetting the National Anthem when she's sung it hundreds of times. Sometimes, your brain just shuts down in times of stress.

I know I'm in the minority, but I love Rachel. Maybe I identify with her I only wish I had her voice! I don't think you'll get your wish to not see her next season.
    FireWoman, inthegarden and JavaJo like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fogey

I don't think you'll get your wish to not see her next season.
    I was not impressed in seeing Ryan Murphy in action on GLEE Project and not impressed with his firing and then rehiring Chad Overstreet at the start of the season. Do you really think he would keep Rachel in OH when it goes against everything she has ever dreamed of?? Although that story line of marrying Finn was lame too. Hopefully they won't keep that one going. I just don't see her married, pregnant, with the two of them working entry level jobs to pay for their tiny apartment......yuck what a stereotype

Lea Michele has said that this is a recurring nightmare of hers with that specific song on the Glee tour. I think it's probably realistic. Look at Christina Aguilera forgetting the National Anthem when she's sung it hundreds of times. Sometimes, your brain just shuts down in times of stress.

I know I'm in the minority, but I love Rachel. Maybe I identify with her I only wish I had her voice! I don't think you'll get your wish to not see her next season.
    The only time I have ever liked Rachel was with the song she choked on. I thought it fit her voice well when she was singing it but generally I'm not a big fan of her voice though I have noticed that some of the more annoying aspects of it seemed to have mellowed out over this season for me. What I would be really interested in seeing the actress do is like either be Gypsy in Gypsy or Maureen in Rent (which Idina did as well and I think Lea would be interesting all edgy like that).

But I will agree doesn't matter how well you know something if you psych yourself out or stress too much it's a split second before you mind goes blank. And once you choke the stress from that compounds upon itself as well. I stopped playing music for a long time because of that stress. Started taking violin lessons and learned i had to memorize music for that. Never forget going to the violin store to test out new violins and having this sudden shock of performance anxiety. Couldn't feel my hands. The room was spinning. I started sweating and I couldn't even remember twinkle twinkle which I use to warm up with a few times every time I play.

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

I totally agree with that. I remember as a tween, I had a piano recital and had chosen something complicated but knew it backwards and forwards. I mean I could play that thing with my eyes closed and still nail it. Got to the recital, which I had already done a few of, started the piece, and completely, totally choked. It was so horrible and was amplified by hearing my younger sister laughing in the waiting room while she awaited her turn. Sometimes nerves just get to you and no matter how prepared you are, that one little snippet of terror sneaks in and takes hold of you.

I was sad to see Rachel choke but it made her so much more relatable. If only she'd applied to other schools, she wouldn't be in the pickle she's in...
    inthegarden likes this.
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

+ Reply to Thread