+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree617Likes

Thread: Glee

Re: Glee

Ehhh. Nip/Tuck went through a dark phase, too.
    cantstopwatchin likes this.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

FORT Fogey

For me, the problem is that Glee started out as a sort of sly take on High School Musical type programming that could be enjoyed by teenagers and adults. I know people in their teens and in their sixties, people who weren't even necessarily musical fans, who were fans that first season. But then, as it got more popular, it's as if it became a victim of its own popularity and tried to be everything at once. All the tribute shows, the message shows, the blatant attempt to go after the teen audience (which was watching anyway, from what I could tell), the bringing on of characters they didn't seem to know what to do with (I still think Lauren was a bad idea, as she couldn't really sing or dance very well, which ought to have been a requirement for a cast member) and then the dismissing of the same...

I started to lose interest myself, but I actually held on longer than a lot of twenty-somethings I know, who are part of that oh so desirable advertising market the show seems to want. I think it could have held onto them better by being what it started out to be instead of trying to figure out how to capitalize on every trend and opportunity they saw.
    justCoz and Uncle David like this.

Occasional commenter WrigleyDogA2's Avatar

While I love Blaine - I need more Puck and Sam!!

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

I've been disenchanted with Glee this season but this last episode (finally had a chance to watch it) really struck a chord (no pun intended). Through tears, I kept thinking I hope my kids never feel this desolate or believe they can't come to me about anything. It was a cold, hard look at the depths of despair and I hope it showed kids out there the repercussions they'd leave behind if they chose to go down that road...AND...that there is hope. I'm so tired of hearing about these poor kids being bullied; each one breaks my heart. I'd love to hear that this episode opened some eyes out there.

Quinn's story was predictable. Sad but predictable.
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

Yep, I knew as soon as they showed her texting in a car what would happen. Def predictable. It'll be sad to see Rachel, Finn, Kurt, Quinn and the rest of the seniors go, but I'm looking forward to seeing the new talent brought in. The guy with the Dreadlocks is awesome!

FORT Fanatic

I'm going through a Glee withdrawal. I can't believe there's no new Glee for another month.

FORT Fogey

It was surprising when they did that-----Often it is a less than popular show that they do that to

Saw a preview for a Blaine song for Tuesdays episode. Now, I love the original and will buy on iTunes. Can't wait for a new episode.
    AmyKay and its_glinda_now like this.
    You've got to kiss a few frogs before you find your prince!

I am so ready for Glee to come back!

You know, I don't ever miss an episode, but I have to say that I really haven't missed the show on this break. I've gotten kind of annoyed with these long breaks and it definitely makes it harder to get into the show when they air a few episodes and then put the show on break for weeks and weeks.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread