+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree654Likes

Thread: Glee

CCL

Re: Glee

I don't think Glee is at all satirical...though it is fiction, of course.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Occasional commenter WrigleyDogA2's Avatar

I'm not sure in Ohio - but in Michigan all you need is an undergrad degree, doesn't even have to be in education. No teaching certificate required. Though I think you have to be working towards a certificate (which just means taking classes in education) for them to hire you full-time.

Quote Originally Posted by WrigleyDogA2 View Post
    I'm not sure in Ohio - but in Michigan all you need is an undergrad degree, doesn't even have to be in education. No teaching certificate required. Though I think you have to be working towards a certificate (which just means taking classes in education) for them to hire you full-time.
    Geez, that's scary.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

PWS
    FORT Fogey

For high school teaching I'd a lot rather they had a degree in the field in which they are teaching than in education.
    Ellen likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    For high school teaching I'd a lot rather they had a degree in the field in which they are teaching than in education.
    In my decades of experience (public & private schools French, German, English—all levels); freelance tutoring (EFL, writing skills, SAT prep, French, German); contract corporate adult (EFL) I've found that expert knowledge of the subject matter is crucial. Teaching ability is more related to personality than training. Education courses just help in focusing the natural talent of teaching. If someone has no talent for teaching, all the education courses in the world won't make that person a real teacher.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    Yes, I don't see how they can have RM supposedly teaching in the same school and never show up in the break room. Oh, those hips---it's like he's got a snake for a spinal column.

Yay for Beiste in bringing Emma's abilities to Will's clueless attention (although I did think she was being a little insensitive picking that moment to try to get Will to focus on her pamphlets his remarks were really bad), and yay for Emma getting tenure and Will not being all upset about it.

I've always found Will's being the Spanish teacher just weird...he seems like he had a semester of high school Spanish. Surely if you are teaching it for several years you'd at least pick up some vocabulary! And now he does history because he likes the History Channel (hopefully back when it actually did history)? I was glad Santana reamed him out.

Ohio must have some very weird laws about who can teach what. Here you need to have majored in your subject, and usually taken very specific courses to be certified, and to get tenure you need a Master's degree, although it doesn't have to be in your field. That's assuming there's any reality to this at all! Maybe some FORT members from Ohio can enlighten us!

And I also liked Kurt's talk to Finn. I guess they are saving the big Mercedes and "trouty mouth" reunion for Valentine's week? Actually her football player boyfriend seems like a nice enough guy, so that makes the "choice" more realistically difficult. Sorry my Spanish wasn't good enough to pick up all they were singing to each other the week they couldn't talk.

In Ohio, you need a masters to teach. There are no 'laws' as far as I am aware about having a subject be a major most just have a Masters in Education, however, there is a focus on what you'd like to teach if it is at a higher level. That being said, if you happen to know another language because its how you were raised and English is your second language, you can still teach that with your Masters. In most cases, you have taken that in college as well.. if for no other reason but you'd ace that class! lol
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by cantstopwatchin View Post
    OMG, Ricky Martin is on!!! I have loved him since we were kids and he was in Menudo. Pick me up off the floor - he IS sexy - gay or straight.
    I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Ricky Martin! I've had a huge crush on him ever since his days on General Hospital in the mid-90s. God, he is SEXY - Whew! Stops my breath every time!
    cantstopwatchin likes this.

OK, was Mercedes' song in tonight's episode already in the show before Whitney Houston died? Or did they go in and tape that part since Saturday?

I was wondering the same thing! Very ironic!

Wow, I guess the dedication at the end answered our question! That was fast! Mercedes did a good job with the song.

+ Reply to Thread