+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree652Likes

Thread: Glee

Re: Glee

Quote Originally Posted by babs1003 View Post
    RE: Blaine's ("His name is Blane?? Oh! That's a major appliance, that's not a name!") wardrobe... I like the way the have him dressing, definitely better than the Warblers uniform!
    Thank you for the morning laugh! When they first introduced the Blaine character, this quote ran through my mind every time I heard his name. One of my all time favorite movies- brings me back to being 15 again. Is that movie really 25 years old??? Wow- now I feel old!

I think FOX is over-estimating the popularity of Glee these days. I tried to watch this week's episode on Hulu yesterday and got a message saying that it's only available on Hulu Plus, and I have to wait a week to see it on regular Hulu. Frankly, I'm not interested enough to pay for Hulu Plus just to see Glee.
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

They're doing that with a number of series and it's seriously ticking me off! They finally get all the CW series, but they're only on Hulu Plus. I missed New Girl this week and it's on an 8-day delay OR on Hulu Plus. Forget that! I pay for Fox (or rather, I don't pay for it beyond just paying for my TV reception), I'm not paying to watch a show that is on network television.

I thought this episode was sweet, but I agree about the show not being what it was. ITA about the problems with Sue. She was always mean and misguided, but not to this extent. Although her sister's funeral was beautiful and I thought that episode was particularly good, I think it was a mistake to kill her. She was the one thing that kept Sue human. Now it feels like Sue's just a mouthpiece for the writers to play with to see how far they can go with her lines, like a game of one upsmanship. It's not interesting.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

For anyone with Verizon FIOS, Glee is now available On Demand. I was stunned to see this week's episode is already available. (Fox never used to be On Demand at all, so the fact that there are now a couple of shows is impressive.)

FORT Fogey

I am beginning to dislike this show!!!! I was not a fan of Ryan Murphy when I saw him on THE GLEE PROJECT....bu these crappy story lines are ridiculous. The Sue smear campaign is beyond belief.....maried to a donkey and with a babboon heart.

I am guessing that he is leaning toward writing a parody. In the Puck Lauren romance, was he mocking the typical high school romance story by matching up the hot guy with a girl who was not just physically unattractive but outright unlikable?? Now are we doing a parody of politics.

Actually, I really liked last night's episode. Sue was over the top, but I could see the "old Sue" doing the baboon heart thing...and her humanity really did come through in the end with whole Santana bit (which I thought was handled really well from beginning to end). She even admitted she had been wrong and it was her fault! I thought the political ads were pretty funny...and I got a big kick out of the fact that the guy who did the smear Sue campaign was obviously a pizza guy There were plenty of musical numbers that were actually integrated well last night...and any night Idina gets to sing is a good one! I've always seen Glee as a parody of high school cliche's...the downhill slide began when it started taking itself too seriously IMO. As for the political satire, I say bring it on! (Then again, I am a bit of a political geek, so that part may just be me )
    "With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world."
    Desiderata

"I lost my dignity on a slippery wiener."

Ummm, as I recall, before it became a family-hour, feel-good, after-school-specialesque tweenerfest, Glee was a parody of High School Musical -- something that made sense from the guys who created Nip/Tuck. I'd like to see it return to its roots, but it's straddling the line too much to be appealing to either group.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    Ummm, as I recall, before it became a family-hour, feel-good, after-school-specialesque tweenerfest, Glee was a parody of High School Musical -- something that made sense from the guys who created Nip/Tuck. I'd like to see it return to its roots, but it's straddling the line too much to be appealing to either group.
    I agree. It was a parody of High School Musical. I still feel the writing was much better and tighter in the first season and after that it just got kind of sloppy. I got the feeling after that they started singing songs to put on albums and sell to people not because they fit any context of the show.

The show also felt like it took on some more interesting topics in more interesting ways the first season. Though I did like the Santana ending on the last episode. Honestly that's all I watched was the end. I don't care about new characters I'm not sold on any of the story lines this season so I'm just not watching it much at this point. And it's hard to be remotely invested in them knowing they are gonig to do this "graduation" and have new characters. I'm already not invested in these characters. I can pretty much guarantee after this season I'm done because i'm not going to mess around knowing new ones.
    Ellen likes this.

I loved the Troubletones Adele mash up. I have to admit I watched it like 6 times!
    its_glinda_now likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornholio View Post
    I loved the Troubletones Adele mash up. I have to admit I watched it like 6 times!
    It was the best song of the night The Hall and Oates mash up was cringe worthy. I had to mute it.

For me, this show has always been Popular with music. Ryan Murphy is always identified as having created Nip/Tuck, but it's Popular that is the "ancestor" to Glee - a high school satire with broad characterizations, cliques, cruelty, close friendships and some twisted humor.

I think the problem for a lot of shows is that they become too self-conscious and try to top themselves instead of just doing what they do best. I think the lack of "very special guest stars" is a step in the right direction. Last season there was just WAY too much stunt casting.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread