+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree652Likes

Thread: Glee

Re: Glee

Quote Originally Posted by Miss_Griss View Post
    .... And how am I supposed to believe that Blaine is a year younger than Kurt? All last year, I was sure that Blaine was the slightly "older and wiser man" who was teaching Kurt the ropes, and tonight he makes a point of saying that he's a junior and the role of Tony is more likely to go to a senior. And don't get me started on how Quinn was the head cheerleader as a sophomore supposedly. I also assumed, when the show started, that Rachel was a sophomore and Finn was at least a junior (or maybe even a senior), since he was the star quarterback. None of these issues bothered me when the show was just sort of timeless, but now that Ryan's trying to impose a one season, one school year timeline and stick to the ages that people are and who graduates when, none of it makes sense.
    I completely agree with how ridiculous it seems that they are forcing these characters into grades at this point in the story. I ESPECIALLY do not buy Blaine as a year younger than Kurt!! That would mean that he was getting all of the solos at his other school as a sophomore. I just don't see that happening. I also saw him as the "older and wiser" one. It seemed like he had just had more time to come to terms with himself and his sexuality, while Kurt was still dealing with acceptance.

I assumed that most of these kids were juniors when the show started. :/
    combatcutie likes this.

Re: the adoption angle...I can't imagine the mom would bring the baby back until after the adoption had been finalized. If that was the case Quinn could only challenge if she could prove duress, fraud or coercion. The courts often err on the side of the biological parent but when the adoption process is complete you must prove you gave the child up under specific circumstances (burden of proof on you) or the father is asserting his rights claiming he knew nothing about the baby/adoption to win your rights back..in essence these cases are hard to win. Plus, there is the fact that a long court battle with a young child at the center is a dark, serious matter--not something you tap out a few songs to in the middle of high-school parody. Ohio may be a bit different but this is the overall norm and even though Glee isn't known for being particularly realistic I find this storyline a bit offensive.

If it was a closed adoption, I'd agree with you. However, I know several people who have had open adoptions and continue to have a relationship with the birth mother, one of whom was a teenager at the time of the adoption. Of course, they're playing this situation up for drama on the show, but this sort of thing actually does happen (i.e. birth parents still having a role in their child's life).
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Oh I know they can still have a relationship in an open adoption (I actually think those often work out pretty well--I know many of my friends who were adopted often said they wished they knew (or wished their biological parents had tried to know them)) but Quinn is making it clear that she is "getting/taking her back." I just don't know if this fits with Glee, but mostly I don't want it misrepresented and made light of, ya know? Moreover, I highly doubt they are going to treat the situation realistically, instead, it's just another scenario to add drama. I understand the people behind the show want to tackle some big issues and I appreciate the messages they have sent about social acceptance (especially regarding bullying and sexual orientation) but this is a different situation that needs to be based in reality and Im afraid they aren't going to go about it in that manner. Basically, I see them having Quinn announce shes getting the kid back and then working to make it happen with a lot of tears and drama (without mention that there is a good chance it is not even legally possible (and Rachel, Puck, etc... everyone will be involved)). I know its a bit early to pass judgement but I just dont have a good feeling about this...

Quote Originally Posted by JavaJo View Post
    Student elections here in Ohio happen in the fall. Shortly after school starts.
    Hmmm. Good to know. So I guess that part's realistic, after all.

As for Quinn being a villan, I do like that idea, but having her be evil around the adoption issue is certainly a story line that could be handled irresponsibly and even it it's not, may be very painful for a lot of people who have been through that, so on second thought, I'm not so enthusiastic about that.

And finally, I just have to say that Kurt's audition bugged me. I love Kurt just the way he is, but he has to know that if he's going to play a romantic heterosexual lead he can't try out singing a Barbra Streisand song! He has to know that the people doing the casting will want to know that he can "play straight."
    Last edited by Miss_Griss; 09-30-2011 at 11:44 AM.
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar

This season seems too forced with the kids now being placed in a grade. I too believe that Blaine should be the older one. He just seems so together.
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

Quote Originally Posted by combatcutie View Post
    This season seems too forced with the kids now being placed in a grade. I too believe that Blaine should be the older one. He just seems so together.
    Plus he just plain LOOKS older.
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

Ok, it's episodes like tonight's that pretty much guarantee I just can't give up on Glee. Loved it!! From the music....fabulous duet of "Out Here on My Own"...to the sweet scenes with Mike and his mom, and Emma and Mr. Schue after her parents did their damage...this is the stuff Glee does best. I think that's why it's so easy to be disappointed when the show isn't in top form, because when it is good....it's so good!
    cantstopwatchin and JavaJo like this.
    "With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world."
    Desiderata

"I lost my dignity on a slippery wiener."

I haven't watched tonight's episode yet, but I do know what happens and I have to say that to a certain extent I am really tired of glee members leaving to join different glee clubs.

I watched this episode too and for whatever reason I couldn't get into the songs. The only high points for me were Brittney talking about her class president run or whatever they're doing and Mike and his mom. Mercedes and Kurt putting Rachel in her place was interesting but I'm sure like the break up of her relationship we'll get a heavy dose of poor Rachel and then it gets better.

+ Reply to Thread