+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree656Likes

Thread: Glee

Re: Glee

I didn't get what the big deal was about the kilt. In Canada, I have never been to a grad or a wedding without a few men/boys wearing them. They are considered formal wear, and equal to a tux.

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

I love kilts.. one of my best friends here got marriedin on. He is however Irish/Scot.. but they are not that common in the US, and not in HIgh School. I can see the concern from a German/Dutch father. I still thought he looked great in it
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

Quote Originally Posted by canuckinchile View Post
    I didn't get what the big deal was about the kilt. In Canada, I have never been to a grad or a wedding without a few men/boys wearing them. They are considered formal wear, and equal to a tux.
    Me neither. Although not quite so common in the U.S., we understand the cultural significance, so they're not seen as "girly." But this is San Diego. Maybe it's a different story in Middle-of-Nowhere, Ohio.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

I don't think of kilts as feminine either I thought Kurt looked great.

There's a roller derby league in my city and one of the teams is all men who wear all black, with black leather kilts on the bottom. Never once have I thought they looked girlie.

I like Jonathan Groff, but I really don't think Jesse is necessary to the story right now. He's sort of just in the way. I really hope he's not trying to sabotage the glee club, but what are the odds that he isn't?

ITA with PWS - Rachel sure seems to pick dimwits. At least Finn has a good heart.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    ...Maybe it's a different story in Middle-of-Nowhere, Ohio.
    P.S. That's not to be an insult to Ohio or Ohioans -- at the time, I couldn't remember the name of the town (Lima), which was established at the beginning of season one by the characters (so, writers) themselves as such: pretty much middle of nowhere, going nowhere. In many ways, Glee's Lima, OH, reminds me of the 'burb where I lived from age 10 - 18.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by canuckinchile View Post
    I didnt get it at first either canuck, but then again we are both Canadians My daughter used to ask me why the 'man was wearing a skirt' when she was young though, I guess it's just being used to what you know.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Loved last night's episode!

I'm worried about what they are going to do with Sue now, they've killed off the most human part of her.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Quote Originally Posted by Duxxy View Post
    I'm worried about what they are going to do with Sue now, they've killed off the most human part of her.
    I'm kind of hopeful...that was the closest to the "old Sue" we've seen in a loooong time. I loved her last scene with Becky. Last night was an excellent show (cried like a baby!) and I'm actually back to looking forward to the next episode
    "With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world."
    Desiderata

"I lost my dignity on a slippery wiener."

Quote Originally Posted by Katydyd View Post
    I'm kind of hopeful...that was the closest to the "old Sue" we've seen in a loooong time. I loved her last scene with Becky. Last night was an excellent show (cried like a baby!) and I'm actually back to looking forward to the next episode
    Same here. Glee has been so strange this season--either I really enjoy the episode (Sue's sister, the wedding) and it reminds me why I love this series or I feel like it is fluff....

I think the keys are:
    -more kids, less crap with Will and his wife and his girlfriend
    -more Sue, her character just adds a great element that is so fresh and unexpected
    -less songs (just to do songs):select the songs based on the plot
    -underdog theme
    -comedy (sometimes I honestly laugh out loud...eg-many of jesse st. james's lines, such as how vocal adrenaline prepares and handles setbacks.
    -relationships amongst the kids--highlight them being a team
    -make us feel (really feel--glee has made me cry with joy or sadness many times!) for the characters

+ Reply to Thread