The Warblers may have lost at regionals this week on Glee, but it looks like a certain songbird is coming home. When asked at the Paleyfest panel how he's handled being away from his costars this season, Chris Colfer let slip perhaps the evening's biggest spoiler.
"I'm excited to be back," Colfer said, indicating that his character, Kurt, will somehow rejoin McKinley's New Directions. And he may not be going alone.
"As long as these two are a couple, they'll continue to mix worlds [between New Directions and the Warblers]," series creator Ryan Murphy says of Kurt and new boyfriend Blaine. "Until season 3 where I think Blaine might have to try out for New Directions."
But even with their two brightest stars defecting to the competition, Murphy promises that the Warblers will be present in Glee's future. "The Warblers have to perform at the prom," he says. Fans of the all-male troupe can also look forward to an upcoming Warblers album.
Here are some of Paleyfest's other revelations for the future of Glee:
• Sue Sylvester's Legion of Doom: The displaced Cheerios coach recruits some of New Directions' most passionate antagonists – McKinley's previous glee club coach, Sandy Ryerson, Vocal Adrenaline's new coach Dustin Goolsby and Will's scheming ex-wife Terri Schuester – to join her evil group. "We've got a little trifecta," says Jane Lynch. "They're my trifecta of evil."
• Glee's muses return: Both Gwyneth Paltrow and Kristin Chenoweth will be back. Says Murphy of Chenoweth's April Rhodes, "Her all-white version of The Wiz was a huge bomb, so she's doing a one-woman show called Crossroads and she tries to get [Will] involved in that." Chenoweth will also sing an original song (written by Ian Brennan) titled "It's 10 a.m. and I'm Drunk."
Meanwhile, Paltrow's Holly Holiday returns this season to "continue her love affair with [Will]," says Murphy, who calls both actresses "the muses of the show." Charice, who appeared in one episode earlier this season, will also return as a member of Vocal Adrenaline.
• Love bites: The Quinn-Finn-Rachel love triangle will be a major plot point through the end of the season. And though he admits the show's writers are currently undecided on how Santana and Brittany's relationship will be resolved, Murphy promises it will come up again. "I don't think it's something that you can sort of flat out begin and end in two episodes," he says. Amber Riley's Mercedes may even score a love interest of her own. Murphy has kept her in mind while shooting The Glee Project, the Oxygen reality show in which contestants compete for a role on the series. "One of the things that was in the back of my mind was: How can that guy be with Amber?" Murphy says.
• Upcoming themes: In addition to an episode inspired by Lady Gaga's "Born This Way," the show's creators would like to do an episode in which the cast sings every line of dialogue. They're also planning an episode as a tribute to Fleetwood Mac's album Rumors.
• The road show: The second Glee tour will be larger in scale than the first, but the story and themes of the production will be similar. "It's going to be the same idea that they start off as underdogs and are built towards winning," says Murphy. About 80 percent of the numbers in the show will be to from the second season. The other 20 percent is composed of songs from season one that didn't make it into last summer's tour, including Cory Monteith's rendition of "Jesse's Girl."