+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree656Likes

Thread: Glee

FORT Fanatic

re: GLEE

I thought I was the only person who liked the song Afternoon Delight. I also agree that I don't like the direction the show is taking. Bring Kurt back to New Directions already. More music and less "after school issue - let's talk about sex" episodes.

I agree with many of you who are over Gwyneth and want her off Glee like yesterday.

Something is a bit different this season and I cant put my finger on it...but, I think it has something to do with less focus on the kids and Sue. Really, the first season was so successful because we liked the kids and Sue was hilarious. For this to work we have to see the kids and Sue...not Will, a zillion guest-stars, Gwenyth Paltrow (again), and a bunch of scenes not pertinent to the main characters. And, as much as I love Blaine and the Warblers, I think cutting to them and trying to include a storyline is ridiculous--they wasted a bunch of time in a warehouse last night just to have a backdrop for a song?

Ryan Murphy has always said that the stars of the show are the teachers, not the kids. Eventually, if the show continues to do well, the "kids" will cycle out and be replaced. For me, the show is about Will and the kids, with a little bit of Sue thrown in. This week, I didn't even miss Sue. There has been too much of her in recent episodes and she's gotten too mean and violent. She's better in small doses.

I'm actually excited about the original songs. Max Martin is a great song writer who's written a bunch a really terrific pop hits. I have high hopes
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Ryan Murphy has always said that the stars of the show are the teachers, not the kids. Eventually, if the show continues to do well, the "kids" will cycle out and be replaced. For me, the show is about Will and the kids, with a little bit of Sue thrown in. This week, I didn't even miss Sue. There has been too much of her in recent episodes and she's gotten too mean and violent. She's better in small doses.

I'm actually excited about the original songs. Max Martin is a great song writer who's written a bunch a really terrific pop hits. I have high hopes
    ITA about Sue. She was mean-spirited but in a funny way in Season 1. Now she's just mean and I don't like it.

Sue's just gotten downright evil recently, the fun is gone from her character for the most part.

Re: the Santana and Brittany thing - has this been going on a while or what? I must have missed a few shows.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd View Post
    Sue's just gotten downright evil recently, the fun is gone from her character for the most part.

Re: the Santana and Brittany thing - has this been going on a while or what? I must have missed a few shows.
    It's been going on awhile. I remember a few episodes where they discuss hooking up or do hook up or whatever.

I liked Landslide in the context it was presented in. I also liked Kurt and his dad that was an excellent scene.

I probably won't be watching next week because I have zero interest in their own music. And really this season I've flipped away form the show more than once and not watched at all and didn't miss it.

What I noticed is that writing this season just hasn't been on point like the early episodes were.

I guess I'm in the minority here, but I like Gweyneth and have enjoyed her character on the show.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd View Post
    EXACTLY! I think that is why many of us are struggling with these episodes because they are missing that magic from season 1. And I know that Mr. Murphy has said Glee is about the teachers but I think that is a recipe for disaster and not what Season 1 was about at all. I watch for these kids and their great chemistry as an ensemble cast and the songs they perform. It is a comedy that pushes boundaries and throws in some good life lessons (every now and then-for those precious moments). Glee wasn't afraid to be different, there was nothing else like it: it almost made fun of itself and that was okay. And, at the begining, it had funny Sue that added in an extra element (that won her a few awards). I just feel like it is slipping--and that makes me sad

Season 1 did have more storylines focused on the teachers, especially Will and all the drama with Terri, as well as with Emma and Ken Tanaka. IMO, one of the best moments of the first season was the scene where Will finds Terri's pregnancy pad. There was a nice split between the personal lives and then the lives at school and that's all gone. Where Will used to have "adult" problems, he now goes out drinking and pines over guest stars.

The reason "Afternoon Delight" was so great is that it was like season 1 - a bit innocent, slightly inappropriate and funny as hell.

I think the problem is that the show's writers are trying too hard. They're trying to blow the audience away and it's just not working. It's like writers who are wildly successful and then become self-conscious and their writing becomes almost a parody of their previous work. Anne Rice is a great example. I think the storytelling this season hasn't flowed well and is filled with too many "big moments" that aren't serving the plot long-term. They seem to come up with these moments and then figure out how to connect them, rather than coming up with the story and then fitting the musical numbers into that framework.

If anyone's interested, the original songs are here: 'Glee': Hear the new original songs, 'Loser Like Me' and 'Get It Right' | The Music Mix | EW.com
    I actually like them. Max Martin has written or co-written TONS of pop hits including stuff for Britney, Kelly Clarkson, Katy Perry (frankly, the best songs those three have ever done), Pink and Adam Lambert. I don't want the show to be only about original songs - I love all the covers and seeing how they put their own spin on them - but I like that they're mixing it up.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit View Post
    I guess I'm in the minority here, but I like Gweyneth and have enjoyed her character on the show.
    I agree. I thought last night's episode was great and think Gwyneth's been great. I wouldn't mind her as regular character. I like the chemistry between her and Will and how she interacts with the kids.

+ Reply to Thread