+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree656Likes

Thread: Glee

re: GLEE

I loved the Rent song on that episode. It was the only one on the episode I really liked (I'll always like the Idina version best though).

I'm not super enthusiastic about original Glee music. But now I'm just flipping through this show anyways. The story lines just aren't keeping me engaged.

FORT Fanatic

I just caught onto Glee and I LOVE IT!!! I just bought season 1 on dvd and I have all the soundtracks. Kurt is my favorite...I want him back at New Directions. I also love Will and Brittney. Can't wait for the next episode.

I just watched this week's episode again and really, what is the point of Lauren? Are we supposed to like her simply because she's overweight? She can't sing, she is rude to pretty much everyone and she seems to think glee club sucks and isn't shy about saying so. Santana is a bitch, but she can sing. Same with Rachel - she's socially inept, but she's amazingly talented.

Why exactly are we supposed to root for Lauren? I mean, Sue is awful most of the time, but then they redeem her through the relationship with her sister or those scenes at the children's cancer ward.

I really hope Kurt comes back to school and Lauren just goes away unless they're going to turn her into less of a caricature. So many characters on this show could be one-dimensional, but they're not. I can only hope that changes, because right now, she's taking screen time away from other characters that I like a whole lot better.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I didn't like Brittney going "mean girl" on Rachel at the end of the show. It seemed out of character.

Speaking of Rachel, Lea's getting awfully thin.
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

I don't know what it is but I am not into Glee that much this season I feel like they are missing something and I don't know what it is. Not really liking the song choices either normally I am running to itunes to buy one or two....so far none of their songs have motivated me to do that.

I love Sue's character but like someone said, it's a bit unrealistic, she would of been fired and sued (literally) a long time ago, I hope they get away from that with her...I think it's a bit over the top, love her quick one liners, and rants and raves, but the physical abuse is not even funny. There is enough of abuse going on in the world we don't need to see to it on a "family" type show.

Quote Originally Posted by dreamonia View Post
    I don't know what it is but I am not into Glee that much this season I feel like they are missing something and I don't know what it is. Not really liking the song choices either normally I am running to itunes to buy one or two....so far none of their songs have motivated me to do that.

I love Sue's character but like someone said, it's a bit unrealistic, she would of been fired and sued (literally) a long time ago, I hope they get away from that with her...I think it's a bit over the top, love her quick one liners, and rants and raves, but the physical abuse is not even funny. There is enough of abuse going on in the world we don't need to see to it on a "family" type show.
    I think what is missing is good writing. Having watched earlier episodes one day and comparing them to episodes now the solid writing is missing. There were good, edgy episodes before. If I had caught Glee in the earlier days I would have been hooked for sure. Catching it later like I did I can take or leave it and I'll definitely leave it if they start doing their own songs instead of covers. At this point I like to see what covers they're doing. I have no interest in them doing their own songs, especially without solid writing like they had before.

Quote Originally Posted by causingchaos View Post
    I think what is missing is good writing. Having watched earlier episodes one day and comparing them to episodes now the solid writing is missing. There were good, edgy episodes before. If I had caught Glee in the earlier days I would have been hooked for sure. Catching it later like I did I can take or leave it and I'll definitely leave it if they start doing their own songs instead of covers. At this point I like to see what covers they're doing. I have no interest in them doing their own songs, especially without solid writing like they had before.

I agree: Glee was much better at the beginning before it was made into a family show -- and "reined in" the cutting-edge satirical writing talents of Ryan Murphy (Nip/Tuck).
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Glad to know I'm not the only one who's not enjoying it very much anymore.
    It used to be a great way to showcase those kids in high school were overlooked, made fun of, downtrodden, etc. and, while giving them a "voice", carry a message of tolerance to the audience.
    Now, with characters like Lauren, and over the top storylines, it just seems to defeat its purpose, at least for this viewer.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Glee became what it was parodying to me. Slightly raunchier but it is slowly but surely becoming "that." What I liked in the earlier episodes is that the dialog flowed quicker, the songs appeared to mostly serve some purpose, the stories were edgier and attacked some serious topics (geared more toward adults and later teens vs. pre-teens). Honestly the only real moment that I can remember recently that really confronted something head on is when Kurt's dad confronted Finn in the basement but then I haven't been watching really regularly either.

Quote Originally Posted by causingchaos View Post
    I remember vividly reading that Ryan Murphy doesn't really care about continuity or plot. Also, that the show is now being written for the children (7 year olds sticks out in my mind). Which is greatly disappointing.

+ Reply to Thread