+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree652Likes

Thread: Glee

re: GLEE

There's a little scene in Fame where they go to see RHPS and Doris gets up on stage with everyone. It's the best representation of the RH craziness that I've seen. I'll bet that bootleg video was great!

I hope Ryan Murphy gets the message from the crummy reviews that the audience and the critics aren't fans of these theme episodes. IMO, the only theme episode that was really good was the Madonna one. Most of the time, it just feels like they're trying too hard to fit a theme into the regular framework of the show.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;4092542;

I hope Ryan Murphy gets the message from the crummy reviews that the audience and the critics aren't fans of these theme episodes. IMO, the only theme episode that was really good was the Madonna one. Most of the time, it just feels like they're trying too hard to fit a theme into the regular framework of the show.
    I came into this thread planning to say the exact same thing!!! You read my mind! This episode (and the Britney Spears one) were so boring and seemed so forced and silly.

Well I thought it was fine, then again I don't have huge expectations when it comes to this show. Not after about the mid-way point of the second half of the 1st season when I became dis-enchanted with it, now I just watch for the singing.

However. Somebody posted that the critics will pan it? And they were right. The LA Times were pretty scathing in their review and said it was like a Halloween vampire that had no teeth and had caramel stuck in it's fangs. They said the main problem was they tried to be sexy without being too sexy and wound up completely missing the mark.

MTV and AE (After Ellen) also panned the episode and MTV blames the whole Shue mess on how crappy it came off.

I guess I'm in the minority here and I'm perfectly fine with that, I like theme shows and really despise when they get too preachy and after-school special on me.

MTV hinted at some casting shake ups. Any ideas? What's going on?
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;4092517;
    It was definitely NOT Rocky Horror with the censorship of key lyrics of key songs -- as anyone who had ever attended any of the screenings and participated in any of the interactions of those lyrics. Glee is becoming the High School Musical it initially parodied.

Actually, it's probably easier to follow and appreciate if you've never seen RHPS, because you'll just see all the fluff and cuteness, and never miss the spirit of the RHPS culture -- which I'm sure the Glee writers and producers counted on.
    I have to disagree. I've never seen RHPS and I was confused. There were a lot of characters to keep track of and some made no sense (who was this Eddie character? And the Rocky character - is he supposed to be a monster? In gold lame shorts? And when Emma was singing that Touch Me song - what character was she supposed to be? Speaking of Emma's song, I didn't get why Will had to practice with her as his character had one line in that song - he couldn't remember it?). Mostly I found the episode boring. I only really liked the last song.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

I may be one of the few who did like the show.. I have seen RHPS and felt that even with the changes.. it still had the essance of the movie there. I LOVED that both Both Barry Bostwick (Brad) and Meatloaf (Eddie) had a small part in the show.

I dont mind the theam shows as long as its not about Brit Brit, that held nothing for me.. maybe given my age since i LOVED the Madonna one.

I take Glee with a grain of salt.. i have no high expectations, i just like that it makes me laugh and i can't help singing along half the time with the songs. Its not Fame.. but at least its not Cop Rock.
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

Quote Originally Posted by CCL;4092632;
    I have to disagree. I've never seen RHPS and I was confused. There were a lot of characters to keep track of and some made no sense (who was this Eddie character? And the Rocky character - is he supposed to be a monster? In gold lame shorts? And when Emma was singing that Touch Me song - what character was she supposed to be? Speaking of Emma's song, I didn't get why Will had to practice with her as his character had one line in that song - he couldn't remember it?). Mostly I found the episode boring. I only really liked the last song.
    I've loved this movie ever since it came out.I actually watched it last night right after Glee. A quick explantion but I don't know your age so I will keep this PG: ROCKY is a creature created by Dr Frak-N-Furter as a "boyfriend". You have to remember this movie is from 1975 so gold lame was the height of fashion especially with Studio 54 which was very popular at that time.

Emma was singing as the character Janet in the Touch Me song. Oh boy...in the movie Janet has never gone further with a guy than a kiss. Touch Me was referring to doing more (alot) more with a guy than a kiss. With Glee, Will is really into Emma so hence, nope I won't go there.

Eddie, could never 100% figure him out, was a delivery boy who I "think" gave Rocky part of his brain.

Time Warp is the entire essence of what RHPS is about. This song is pretty much sung in the beginning of the movie rather than the finale. Glee had Brad sing part of that song however in the movie it was mostly Riff Raff who sang the lead.
    Last edited by PA Snow Bunny; 10-28-2010 at 02:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000;4092573;
    MTV hinted at some casting shake ups. Any ideas? What's going on?

hmmm...Id like to know about this too. Like I said before, I think the show would improve leaps and bounds if they went back to the tried and true method of focusing on the kids and only featuring shuester when he is battling sue.

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by PA Snow Bunny;4092869;
    I've loved this movie ever since it came out.I actually watched it last night right after Glee. A quick explantion but I don't know your age so I will keep this PG: ROCKY is a creature created by Dr Frak-N-Furter as a "boyfriend". You have to remember this movie is from 1975 so gold lame was the height of fashion especially with Studio 54 which was very popular at that time.

Emma was singing as the character Janet in the Touch Me song. Oh boy...in the movie Janet has never gone further with a guy than a kiss. Touch Me was referring to doing more (alot) more with a guy than a kiss. With Glee, Will is really into Emma so hence, nope I won't go there.

Eddie, could never 100% figure him out, was a delivery boy who I "think" gave Rocky part of his brain.

Time Warp is the entire essence of what RHPS is about. This song is pretty much sung in the beginning of the movie rather than the finale. Glee had Brad sing part of that song however in the movie it was mostly Riff Raff who sang the lead.
    Thank you.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PA Snow Bunny;4092869;

Yes, he did 'donate' part of his brain. He was also Columbia's former boyfriend. AND Dr. Scott's nephew.
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

I didnt *love* the show this week. It was okay but not great. When Sue gave mini-me the bullhorn, did she tell her to go out and "yell at some fags!?""" Or did she use the word "fan"? I know that the show pushes the envelope sometimes, but very surprised that it sounded like she used the word fag.

As far as letting younger kids watch the show, I have a 6 and 7.5 year old as well and I have let them watch some episodes. the only one I deleted without even considering letting them watch it was the Britney episode. I just thought the musical numbers were not appropriate at all!!! My kids love listening to the music in the car as well and the CDs have a good job of exposing them to more than just current pop music.

+ Reply to Thread