+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree652Likes

Thread: Glee

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion

re: GLEE

I was also let down. I expected so much more.

Aww, I thought the episode was great and fun. See, I took the various plot points differently. Mercedes was given her part because she has the voice to pull it off. Do you really see any of the male's on this show able to pull that singing off? No. So they had to come up with a plot device (with Puck off the show for whatever reason) that would justify giving that role to somebody who can sing.

Couldn't give it to Kurt because he's already in a role and killing it and Finn could not pull off the singing, new blondie could but they have him playing the part of the eye candy.

Also in all the listing of the things people liked about this episode, I'm shocked nobody mentioned Uncle Jesse singing! That right there made the entire show for me. More of him singing and less of Will acting like a jerk (and yes, I do agree with the rest of you that Will's behavior on this episode was downright disgusting and stalker-ish).

Emma sings! I thought that scene was cute and Brittany/Santana giggling and watching made me smile (except for Wills part in it, he's gone over to creepy stalker man for me).

I guess I just saw this episode as light, fantasy, fun and didn't try and read more into it than was there. It is Rocky Horror and their send up to Halloween after all. I barely even paid attention to the bits beyond the singing (and I'm glad I didn't after reading everybody's comments lol).
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastmom;4091414;
    Fox and my cable provider are still feuding. No Glee tonight for me. I've yet to watch last week's episode on Hulu.
    There was no episode last week.

I haven't seen this week's episode yet. I've never seen The Rocky Horror Picture show. Is the episode difficult to follow/not as interesting for someone who has never seen the movie?
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

I think I posted in spoiler tags upthread that I read an interview with John Stamos and apparently, he was supposed to play Frankenfurter, but the network got weird about it. He would have been awesome! ITA that Puck would have been good too. Mercedes in the part was just ridiculous.

The best thing about RHPS is that it's so subversive, so I guess I shouldn't have expected so much. After all, this is Fox we're talking about.

The change from "petting" to "sweating" annoyed me too. What was the point?

There were parts of the show that I liked, but I agree that it felt choppy and unfinished. When this show is good, it's REALLY good, but when it's not, well...it's really not.

It was kind of lame to have Shu "practice" that song with Emma, but I still love that Jayma got to sing, especially since she apparently loves RH.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

It was OK; certainly not great, IMO.
    I still don't get why they had to put a woman in Tim Curry's role. She sounded more Jennifer Holliday / Jennifer Hudson than Frank -n- Furter-esque. Totally changed th spirit of the role and the show for me.
    And, RHPS is probably one of my all time favorites. I've also tossed a lot of toast and rice through the years.
    I did love the appearance of Barry Bostwick and Meatloaf. Too funny.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000;4092057;
    Also in all the listing of the things people liked about this episode, I'm shocked nobody mentioned Uncle Jesse singing!
    I did. I had a silly, stupid permagrin on my face the entire time he sang. I think he looks fantastic! And sounded great too.
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

Quote Originally Posted by cantstopwatchin;4092328;
    I did. I had a silly, stupid permagrin on my face the entire time he sang. I think he looks fantastic! And sounded great too.
    "Have mercy!" Least that was what I was thinking when he first appeared in that black leather get up (or at least it looked like black leather).

I really enjoyed hearing some of the others singing, Emma, Quinn ones we don't normally get to hear. Quinn has a lovely voice, kind of a disconnect with how sexy it sounds and the character she plays.
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

It was definitely NOT Rocky Horror with the censorship of key lyrics of key songs -- as anyone who had ever attended any of the screenings and participated in any of the interactions of those lyrics. Glee is becoming the High School Musical it initially parodied.

I haven't seen this week's episode yet. I've never seen The Rocky Horror Picture show. Is the episode difficult to follow/not as interesting for someone who has never seen the movie?
    Actually, it's probably easier to follow and appreciate if you've never seen RHPS, because you'll just see all the fluff and cuteness, and never miss the spirit of the RHPS culture -- which I'm sure the Glee writers and producers counted on.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;4092517;
    Actually, it's probably easier to follow and appreciate if you've never seen RHPS, because you'll just see all the fluff and cuteness, and never miss the spirit of the RHPS culture -- which I'm sure the Glee writers and producers counted on.
    You're probably right, Ellen. Another case where ignorance is bliss.

Also, for those who haven't seen RH, don't rent the DVD. Watching at home in your living room doesn't cut it. In order to really have the RH experience, you have to see it in a full theater of RH fanatics in full costume....with water guns, umbrellas and toast! If you watch it at home, you may think "WTH is the big deal?"
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;4092536;
    You're probably right, Ellen. Another case where ignorance is bliss.

Also, for those who haven't seen RH, don't rent the DVD. Watching at home in your living room doesn't cut it. In order to really have the RH experience, you have to see it in a full theater of RH fanatics in full costume....with water guns, umbrellas and toast! If you watch it at home, you may think "WTH is the big deal?"
    The first time I saw RHPS, it was a bootleg vhs copy my cousin's friend made. I think it was around 1980-81. I was still in high school. I thought it was hysterical and just had to go see it in the theater. Of course, since it was recorded in a theater, you could see the antics of the audience, which was not as elaborate as they later became. They threw toast etc, but there wasn't the costumes and dancing and everything they do now. Still a hoot.

+ Reply to Thread