+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree656Likes

Thread: Glee

re: GLEE

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet;4089369;
    But with that said, something that really bothers me is the whole Objectifying Women thing. ... The worst thing is that so many of the women go along with it.
    Actually, I think the worst thing is that so many women spend so much time critiquing other women's physical appearance, including all those women who have accomplished great things in their life. If you see a picture of a bespectacled, library-bun sporting physicist on the cover of, say, Time magazine, there will be comments all over the net about how she should get bangs, get contacts, pluck her eyebrows. I've read many a conversation about how "heavy" some of the dancers on Dancing with the Stars are. Really? Heavy? And you will never see a picture of a celebrity of some sort without a barrage of comments on (a) how skinny she is; (b) how much celullite she has; (c) how big her ass looks in that dress; or (d) how crappy her style is. Once women can learn to accept other women how they are, without making such an issue of their physical appearance, those in the public eye may not be so desperate to prove how attractive they are.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet;4089369;
    I aggree with this sentiment. I see no reason why adults well into their 20's should be treated like they did something shocking or bad by doing a photo shoot in minimal clothing (but still covered).
    But with that said, something that really bothers me is the whole Objectifying Women thing. It really burns me that the moment a woman does something noteworthy, whether a TV show, an Oscar movie performance, wins a Nobel Prize, becomes an astronaut, rules a country, becomes a race-car driver, saves people from a burning building, or any other accomplishment where her skill gets her to a noteworthy place, the first thing the men do is try to demean, objectify & "put her in her place" by trying to get her to strip off all of her clothes & parade around naked. :nono
    Heaven forbid that a woman be acknowledged & appreciated for her accomplishments in life.
    The worst thing is that so many of the women go along with it.
    Reminds me of one of my favorite YouTube clips -- Tracey Ullman pays tribute to Meryl Streep at her AFI Lifetime Achievement Gala. Tracey shares her sardonic thoughts about what kinds of roles are out there for women who aren't Meryl Streep at around 2:20, but the whole clip is hilarious:

YouTube - Tracey Ullman Calls Meryl Streep "The Cream Of The Crop"
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." – Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

It's on!!

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Fox and my cable provider are still feuding. No Glee tonight for me. I've yet to watch last week's episode on Hulu.

Loved the show tonight and I'm not really a Rocky Horror fanatic, just a big ol' Gleek!

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion

I've never been able to sit through an episode of Glee. This may change tonight. Looking forward to it.

OK, don't kill me -- but for me that was kind of a mess of an episode, and a letdown.

The stories were kind of lame and clumsily told -- Sam has an eating disorder, but it's funny? Finn is fat? And the motivations behind whatever it was that Sue and Will were doing were all over the place. And they gave Kurt about 2 lines in the whole show, which is a big mistake. Also, Mercedes as Frank was a cop-out, and did nothing for me.

Why do a Rocky Horror episode if the moral is, don't do Rocky Horror as a high school show, or better yet pay for the rights and do it, just not for an audience?

Forme this was more like a perverse Afterschool Special than a Glee episode...it was kind of a waste of all that hype.
    Last edited by MFWalkoff; 10-27-2010 at 12:18 AM.
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

I love that Emma performed "Touch-A, Touch-A, Touch Me" since that was the song Jayma sang when she auditioned for the show.

I loved Becky as Sue: "Now get me some chocolate before I cut you."
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;4091637;
    I loved Becky as Sue: "Now get me some chocolate before I cut you."
    Thank you! I was going to add that but I forgot -- Becky as Sue was my favorite part of the show!
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff;4091635;
    OK, don't kill me -- but for me that was kind of a mess of an episode, and a letdown.

The stories were kind of lame and clumsily told -- Sam has an eating disorder, but it's funny? Finn is fat? And the motivations behind whatever it was that Sue and Will were doing were all over the place. And they gave Kurt about 2 lines in the whole show, which is a big mistake. Also, Mercedes as Frank was a cop-out, and did nothing for me.

Why do a Rocky Horror episode if the moral is, don't do Rocky Horror as a high school show, or better yet pay for the rights and do it, just not for an audience?

Forme this was more like a perverse Afterschool Special than a Glee episode...it was kind of a waste of all that hype.
    I'm not going to kill you, I'm going to completely agree with you. This is the very first episode that I can honestly say I didn't enjoy. It was a waste of an hour of my life that I'll never get back. Although seeing a shirtless Shuster was a highlight.

I also thought that Quinn sounded the best she ever has and Kurt was amazing in character. Loved him. What little we saw of him.

Now, lets sit back and watch for the fallout. Uproar over the girls posing in their underwear for GQ and now the boys were prancing around the show in theirs. I wonder how many parents are going to be outraged by that. Not nearly as many is my guess.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didn’t hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

+ Reply to Thread