+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency

Is anyone watching this besides me? I finally got around to watching the 2-hour pilot and was surprisingly drawn in. I didn't expect to like this show, thinking it was going to be somewhat intense and heavy. This show will make you laugh, at other times it will give you a lump in your throat. The characters are likeable. This is the No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency because this is the FIRST ladies' detective agency in Botswana, Africa. Jill Scott does an excellent job as the lady detective, Mma Ramotswe; Anika Noni Rose plays "Mma Makutsi", her secretary who is working for free until the agency can make a profit. Mma Makutsi is not a detective, but does find herself helping out on cases, here and there (slyly snapping pictures, trying to track down a lost dog so that the agency can make some money, etc.) and, of course, there is a gay hairdresser who befriends Mma Ramotswe when she first arrives in town to set up her office. It gives you a beautiful glimpse of a scenic country, and a different culture that we (in the USA) don't see everyday, but we also see that people all over the world have the same problems and concerns. I would recommend that you check out this show on Sunday nights on HBO. I am hooked! Hope I'm not the only one!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Re: The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency

If you haven't already, read the book series! I don't know how closely the series is based on the books, so they might be spoilers.
    Count your blessings!

I'm glad you said that because I am not one for spoilers. I'm in that same spot with the Sookie Stackhouse series (HBO's True Blood), and it's killing me since I really like to read. Did you read the whole series and enjoy it?
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I didn't even realize this was a series. I thought it was a true life account of detective agencies run by women. I'll check it out since Big Love is over and I need something to justify having HBO for!
    Yup, with donuts!!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3404150;
    I'm glad you said that because I am not one for spoilers. I'm in that same spot with the Sookie Stackhouse series (HBO's True Blood), and it's killing me since I really like to read. Did you read the whole series and enjoy it?
    You can probably start reading the Sookie series, Alan is starting to veer away from the books more and more. I don't remember where I recently read this - but he has added a lot more new material to season 2 with only partial story plots included from the books.

He has the rights to completely change any storyline he wants in the True Blood series, so what happens in the books is not a given.

As for The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency - thank you for starting this thread! Although I missed the pilot, I was able to record the 2nd episode and have the pilot scheduled via HBO On Demand! Thanks for the heads up!
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

Just know that it can take a bit to get used to the accents. Thank goodness for closed captions. And I love how when somebody comes to the door, or appears to visit you, they shout, "Koko!" which, in my mind, means "Knock, knock!"

FORT Regular

The books are far superior to the HBO series. The movie characters are not comparable to the book characters which really bothers me. When I read the book series I pictured Whoopee Goldberg as the lady detective. I the book the character is older and more "traditionally figured" than the actress playing the part. MY recommendation is to read the books and leave the HBO series to non readers. lol

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3404137;
    Is anyone watching this besides me? I am hooked! Hope I'm not the only one!
    You are definitely not alone. I love the way Jill Scott plays Precious: She can go from flirty to flinty in a split second. And even though he plays a very bad man & doesn't show up enough, Colin Sampson is a beauty. Plus we get CCH Pounder for an episode. Great casting, gentle story telling, beautiful country.

IMO, the television series stands on its own vis a vis the books. Different media, different ways to tell the stories.

I dearly adore the little boy, Wellington.

+ Reply to Thread