+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Southland

Southland

I just saw the preview for this as I was watching the second-to-last ER. Starts Thursday April 9. I don't like cop shows, but I loved The O.C., and this one stars the guy who played Ryan!! I guess I'll have to give it a look!

Re: SouthLAnd

It looks like a good show. I'll be watching. Kind of reminds me of Third Watch - which i still miss.

FORT Regular

Maybe because of the finale of ER and that this show is from John Wells, but it kinda reminds me of ER. With the OC guy as a John Carter type wide-eyed rookie partnered with Bull from Band of Brothers as a Peter Benton like veteran tough cop. Well, at least what I gathered from the trailers.

I saw the first episode on demand and it is a very good show.
    Yup, with donuts!!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

So far, so good!

OK, so I thought that the cop with the wife who kept calling him and freaking out was removing himself from his marriage, but I guess not?

Must admit that I've seen a few weak spots in this premiere. Hope that will be the exception and not the rule. I'm willing to give it another chance or two.

Didn't make much sense to me that the cop played by Regina King went to investigate the missing little girl alone, got hit on the head and knocked out, and awoke to continue going about her job, taking a gun out of the hand of the bad guy with no problem.
    Last edited by prhoshay; 04-10-2009 at 12:01 AM.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Hating finales since 2006 finalefan's Avatar

Is it just me or did it seem like maybe there were too many different plot lines going on for a premiere? I dunno, there was a lot going on, and the dialogue in the precinct scenes a couple of times was too fast-paced for me. Typically, if I'm familiar with a show, neither of those things bother me and in fact I like it.

I'll say the same thing I said last night about The Unusuals -- I'll give both them a few episodes before I decide which one I'll follow, if either of them. I certainly don't need to pick up two brand new cop shows, even if they are quite a bit different from one another.

I will pay one compliment to the writers, though. They did a good job of making me wonder about the backstory of some of these characters.
    Don't bore us, get to the chorus. - M. Campbell

FORT Fogey

They really caught the flavor of being on patrol.

Good job.

FORT Fogey

This article has a tlot of good b ackground info about the series including info about the creators of the show.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/09/ar...ref=television

Here's an excerpt--

"Published: April 8, 2009
    LOS ANGELES — With the doors of “ER” finally closed, NBC is wasting no time in promoting what it hopes will be the perfect replacement for its 10 p.m. Thursday time slot, the longtime home of boundary-breaking dramas including “Hill Street Blues,” “L.A. Law” and “Miami Vice.”

“Southland,” which begins a seven-episode first season on Thursday night, comes with a sterling pedigree, created by two of the executive producers of “ER.” By focusing on the relationships among members of the Los Angeles Police Department rather than solely on their case-solving skills, it stands apart from the police procedurals that crowd prime time these days, evoking seminal NBC series like “Adam-12” and “Police Woman.”

So it seems that the stars are aligned for “Southland” — except that, come fall, NBC will no longer have a 10 p.m. Thursday slot for dramas, no matter how good they might be. Instead that time on every weeknight will be given over to Jay Leno’s new prime-time talk show.

Assuming that “Southland” survives to return for a second season, its ability to play at 8 or 9 p.m. will be key to NBC’s hopes of rising out of fourth place in the network ratings wars. "

There's a lot more info in the article.

I watched it because I don't have cable and the other options for shows in that time slot were just not entertaining to me last night.

Anyhow, I found the pace to be much slower than I really like. I'll probably watch it for now but it wasn't my favorite thing ever to watch .

Quote Originally Posted by finalefan;3409634;
    Is it just me or did it seem like maybe there were too many different plot lines going on for a premiere?
    I will pay one compliment to the writers, though. They did a good job of making me wonder about the backstory of some of these characters.
    I guess I thought the intent was to give us a glimpse of all the main characters that they will be developing as the show progresses. I wouldn't rave about this premiere, but I think it has potential so I will give it a chance.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast