+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: The Unusuals on ABC--Amber Tamblyn

Re: The Unusuals on ABC--Amber Tamblyn

Count me as a Hill Street Blues fan. I still remember the night it first came on. And yeah, this show does have that feel, but more overtly slapstick.
    "How do you know the chosen ones? No greater love hath a man than he lay down his life for his friend. Not for millions, not for glory, not for fame... for one person. In the dark. Where no one will ever know or see." - Sebastion, Babylon 5

Hmmm. The grit of Hill Street Blues with the supernatural mysteries of Lost. I really liked it and have set it up as a series record. I do agree that it was slapstick heavy handed in at least two sections - the hot dog guy and the little old ladies. The mysteries are intriguing, though. Why did the shot gun pellets go around the guy with the brain tumor and why did the subway train stop within an inch of him? That goes beyond quirky to supernatural. Another question - why were there what looked like two huge bags of cocaine in the dead guy's locker? The dead guy who was redeemed when his good works were disclosed. Did "Amber" burn the locker items as directed? Also - beyond quirky and into the supernatural (or not) was the copy machine spitting out true or lie on an imprint of a hand. Huh? Was this part of their normal interrogation set up with pre-printed copies in the machine ready to spit when turned on?

Redemption was also found when the cat murderer was covered in catnip then locked in a van while cats were let loose on him. Wow...why are shows becoming more spiritual - or is it just me seeing all this stuff as spiritual? I'm looking forward to future episodes: will brain tumor guy continue to get saved from death? Will 42 guy survive with or without his vest? Will the partner ever learn how to cook? Will Amber collect clues about each party and store them up or report them while looking for corruption? Has the devout Christian with the shady past truly repented? So many layers to this thing, it is giving me a headache - hope it isn't a brain tumor.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I finally got around to watching it and I totally loved it! I can't compare it to Hill Street Blues as I was a little too young to really follow that show when it was on but my older brother loved that show and I always loved the theme song

I have just a couple of thoughts from watching the show:

I was totally when they were interrogating the cat guy with the copy machine!

I love Chris Sarandon but I was a little disappointed. I was hoping Old Rusty would be her Dad on the show.

One of the things I really love about Amber, other than her ability to deliver dialogue in such a unique way, is that she is slender but she isn't stick thin like a lot of women in Hollywood. She looks like a real woman with curves and just has a great body in general and she's not afraid to show it off.
    Favorite Dr Oliverisms

"We were about to have sex not move out of the state"

"Shh. Okay, stop. Just let me"

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies;3410209;
    So many layers to this thing, it is giving me a headache - hope it isn't a brain tumor.

I'm not really sure I'm on board with this whole supernatural/spiritual thing, but I loved the way it was handled on Joan of Arcadia, so, if it's not too overboard, I guess I can accept it here.

Memory's not that great, but I though there were more drugs in the locker than just the cocaine. The drugs and the money seemed pretty normal for a crocked cop, and his partner seemed to take them in stride.

Definitely thought the 'lie detector' was a setup. They only printed paper when the answer printed on the paper would fit the interrogation question.

As I said, I can probably live with the supernatural/spiritual thing, but they've got to be more subtle with the humor for me to embrace this show. Still, if Amber Tamblyn is in it, I'm happy.

FORT Fan

I'm looking forward to future episodes: will brain tumor guy continue to get saved from death? Will 42 guy survive with or without his vest? Will the partner ever learn how to cook? Will Amber collect clues about each party and store them up or report them while looking for corruption? Has the devout Christian with the shady past truly repented? So many layers to this thing, it is giving me a headache - hope it isn't a brain tumor.
    I was reading the last part of your post and I could totally hear announcer guy saying all those things in a promo for the show.
    I've got that new "I'm a single girl swag"

Also - beyond quirky and into the supernatural (or not) was the copy machine spitting out true or lie on an imprint of a hand. Huh? Was this part of their normal interrogation set up with pre-printed copies in the machine ready to spit when turned on?
    I could be wrong, but I thought when he pressed one button it printed out "true" over his hand and when he pushed another button it printed out "lie". Quirky interrogation techniques made it light-hearted for me.
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

I really enjoyed the first show and am looking forward to the next one. The humor appealed to me as even Shakespeare and Dickens knew that humor adds to dramatic tension. All of my favorite dramatic shows over the years have incorporated a strong comedic element. I also surmise that in such a stressful work place as that, humor is absolutely necessary to their well being and emotional health.

As for the near misses, I wondered if they were perhaps imagined as a result of the brain tumor. Did he really jump in front of that train or does he merely think he did. Myabe he started to and was pulled back in time, but doesn't realize it, or maybe I'm just imaging thing myself.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel;3410662;
    I really enjoyed the first show and am looking forward to the next one. The humor appealed to me as even Shakespeare and Dickens knew that humor adds to dramatic tension. All of my favorite dramatic shows over the years have incorporated a strong comedic element. I also surmise that in such a stressful work place as that, humor is absolutely necessary to their well being and emotional health.

As for the near misses, I wondered if they were perhaps imagined as a result of the brain tumor. Did he really jump in front of that train or does he merely think he did. Myabe he started to and was pulled back in time, but doesn't realize it, or maybe I'm just imaging thing myself.
    He definitely did as his partner questioned him about it.
    Favorite Dr Oliverisms

"We were about to have sex not move out of the state"

"Shh. Okay, stop. Just let me"

It's hard to add new one hour shows to my list of shows but I really liked this. I'll give it another go. It was quirky and interesting.
    Have you done your Green deed for the day?

Quote Originally Posted by stacerace;3410860;
    He definitely did as his partner questioned him about it.
    I just wanted to add to this, his partner played by Harold Perrineau (Michael on Lost) was angry with him because his father and grandfater both died at 42 - the age that he just turned, (probably why he always wears his bullet proof vest) so he told him he had enough stress in his life, and for him to cut it out while he is with him.
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

+ Reply to Thread