+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: The Unusuals on ABC--Amber Tamblyn

Re: The Unusuals on ABC--Amber Tamblyn

I think there are other LOST watchers that watched this show tonight. Did anyone else catch the reference to the LOST numbers when Harold Perrineau (Michael from LOST) kept talking about the number 42? Remember...4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42 were the LOST number, and it just so happened, his character dad died at 42, he was turning 42, etc. A coincidence?

FORT Fogey

Jette--LOL!

I didn't catch that. I mean I caught that the number was important to him--but I forgot that 42 was part of that "Hugo number sequence."

We're going to have to watch the writers of The Unusuals very closely if they're going to do things like that.

i watched, the show was meh to me

and i don't like the way it's shot it... parts of it look like a half hour sitcom (comedy), then they shoot it like it's a serious police drama

i probably won't be watching... i been bitter since they cancelled Invasion some years back in that post-Lost time slot

whatsherface did look good in the hooker gear though

Quote Originally Posted by jette66;3408516;
    I think there are other LOST watchers that watched this show tonight. Did anyone else catch the reference to the LOST numbers when Harold Perrineau (Michael from LOST) kept talking about the number 42? Remember...4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42 were the LOST number, and it just so happened, his character dad died at 42, he was turning 42, etc. A coincidence?
    you have Lost Derangement Syndrome

you will automatically try to tie everything w/ all things Lost

god help you if any of the characters on any future episodes are every named Jack, John, Ben , Kate, etc

Quote Originally Posted by AsIs;3408464;
    I guess I like that it is a little dirty. So the weighty issues don't bother me. I think they will add a layer and give Amber more to work with.
    I enjoyed it as well, it has quirky characters, not the typical cop show feel, and it has Amber! There is humor (enjoyed scanning the guys hand with "true" or "lie" coming out of the scanner), so not the Criminal Minds intense (I appreciate the break from the heavy stuff) and a mysterious feel to it.

I have set the DVR to record, and hope it continues to entice me.
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

FORT Fan

Glad to find more fans of Amber. I've been following her since her days on GH and I absolutely loved Joan of Arcadia.

Anyway, I thought the show was pretty good. I liked that it was different. It's a nice change of pace from everything else that's on right now. For the most part, I enjoyed all of the characters. I'll definitely keep up with the show. Don't know how the ratings were but I'm hoping the show is given time to grow. Didn't know how I would feel about seeing Amber as a cop but with the type of cop she's playing, I buy it, and I liked her partner as well.
    I've got that new "I'm a single girl swag"

Quote Originally Posted by jette66;3408516;
    I sure did catch that and had even caught it in some of the promos that ran for show. I just may start looking for any of the other numbers to show up.

I'm liking this show and its characters. I got a real kick, and surprise, finding that Casey comes from real money and her reaction to it. Joanna Gleason is an actress I've always liked and I think her supporting character of Casey's mother will add a lot to the show.

Good ensemble cast.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AsIs;3408421;
    Uncle David, it looks very much like a ensemble and that she is probably the lead of the ensemble. I LOVE this show! If the rest of the eps are as good as the first I will be a happy camper!
    Amber: "Really?!? Sweety!?! That's what you're goin' with? That's bold!"

They've given Amber some great lines, and she knows how to deliver them. I'll keep watching if for no other reason than to see her.

I liked the art direction, the transition shots, as well as the overall look of the show. I also love the little dispatch snippets they play during scene transitions. However, I'd like the show to tone down the cheesy humor a bit.

Back in the 80s there was a show titled Hill Street Blues. I was a huge fan of the show. This show reminds me of that show, except a lot of the humor is too cheesy. Or, perhaps it's just the delivery of the humor that's cheesy. If they would stay with the subtle humor and rely more on the drama side this could be a great show. Here's just one example of what I mean...

Hill Street Blues was always bringing in, or already having in the scene, some character that made you smile. Like people dressed in weird clothing, or just odd looking. It was always subtle, and you often had to be paying close attention in order to catch it. In The Unusuals they try to do the same thing, but they're heavy handed about it. For instance, the two little old ladies dressed identically as Little Orphan Annie. Having them in the background being questioned would have been funny, trotting them through the beginning of the scene was just slapstick.

I site Amber and her partner as a great example of what I'd like to see from the whole cast. Ultimately, I love the writing, but I feel the direction leaves a lot to be desired. I hope they eventually find their bearings.

Just a note about when the 'Christian' detective was watching TV in the break room. The character we see on the television is from Hill Street Blues. I love these little Easter Eggs in a show, and this show has a number of them.

MRD

I missed this premiere. I hope I can catch it online. Does anyone know?

LOVED Hill Street Blues. I distinctly remember one episode where they were undercover in a butcher shop and an old lady comes in and Belker is waiting on her and she keeps asking him to get whole chickens out and she keeps spreading the legs of the chicken and smelling it and he gets so disgusted with her that he says: "Hey lady, can you pass that test?". I thought I would fall out of my chair laughing. And I always remember that scene when having to deal with a whole raw chicken.

Be careful out there.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3409549;
    I missed this premiere. I hope I can catch it online. Does anyone know?

LOVED Hill Street Blues. I distinctly remember one episode where they were undercover in a butcher shop and an old lady comes in and Belker is waiting on her and she keeps asking him to get whole chickens out and she keeps spreading the legs of the chicken and smelling it and he gets so disgusted with her that he says: "Hey lady, can you pass that test?". I thought I would fall out of my chair laughing. And I always remember that scene when having to deal with a whole raw chicken.

Be careful out there.
    It is listed on abc as one of the shows you can watch free episodes.
    I was also an old Hill Street Blues fan and NYPD Blues.
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

+ Reply to Thread