+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: The Unusuals on ABC--Amber Tamblyn

FORT Fogey

Re: The Unusuals on ABC--Amber Tamblyn

I ended up watching the movie on ABC last night--I needed something innucuous as background for a task I was doing--and so I saw a lot of ads during the two hours of the movie.

In the midst of all the ads for the Unusuals and for Dancing With the Stars I also saw--but only once--an ad for yet another show that was supposed to be starting on ABC on Monday nights. I'd never heard of the show before (and sorry but I can't even remember what it was) and it wasn't the Bob Saget show--for which they ran tons of ads last night.

The feeling I am getting is that they had an alternative schedule worked out for Monday nights but something happened and now they keep running these "mistake ads" that should have been yanked.

It's really odd--I've never seen ABC in this much disarray before.
    I surely would love to hear the story of what has been going on behind the scenes there.

At least the numerous ads for The Unusuals all said "Wednesday night."

FORT Fogey

This ios from the TV critic at the Washington Post--

washingtonpost.com - nation, world, technology and Washington area news and headlines

"Basic story: Detective Casey Shraeger (Amber Tamblyn) is walking the streets of New York as an undercover hooker when she's whisked away for a new assignment in the homicide division. She's paired with Detective Jason Walsh (Jeremy Renner), whose partner was murdered the night before. She joins NYPD's Second Precinct, where the eccentricities of her colleagues begin to unfold: one detective (Harold Perrineau) always wears his bulletproof vest; his partner (Adam Goldberg) has started taking dangerously crazy risks; and another (Kai Lennox) talks about himself in the third person as he shamelessly self-promotes. Everybody in the department has secrets, it seems -- including newbie Casey, and the murdered cop.

What it faces: "The Unusuals" is up against two formidable crime dramas also set in the Big Apple: "Law & Order" on NBC and "CSI: NY" on CBS.

What you'll love: The characters are quirky and quick to quip -- everything is fair game. And voice-overs from the dispatcher add additional light moments, such as: "Be on the lookout for a man in a hot-dog costume last seen running west on Houston Street. Suspect may or may not be wielding a samurai sword."

What you won't: Fans of the "Dragnet" school of police work who just want the facts may find the series too frivolous.

Bottom line: "The Unusuals" walks a fine line between being a cop comedy and a police drama. Viewers will have to decide whether it's an acceptable balance or just too unusual. "

Quote Originally Posted by steppemaster;3403400;
    I ended up watching the movie on ABC last night--I needed something innucuous as background for a task I was doing--and so I saw a lot of ads during the two hours of the movie.

In the midst of all the ads for the Unusuals and for Dancing With the Stars I also saw--but only once--an ad for yet another show that was supposed to be starting on ABC on Monday nights. I'd never heard of the show before (and sorry but I can't even remember what it was) and it wasn't the Bob Saget show--for which they ran tons of ads last night.

The feeling I am getting is that they had an alternative schedule worked out for Monday nights but something happened and now they keep running these "mistake ads" that should have been yanked.

It's really odd--I've never seen ABC in this much disarray before.
    I surely would love to hear the story of what has been going on behind the scenes there.

At least the numerous ads for The Unusuals all said "Wednesday night."
    What movie? Was there a movie introducing the show or are you talking about a movie that is totally unrelated?
    Favorite Dr Oliverisms

"We were about to have sex not move out of the state"

"Shh. Okay, stop. Just let me"

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by stacerace;3403939;
    What movie? Was there a movie introducing the show or are you talking about a movie that is totally unrelated?

Sorry--my bad. Just meant the movie that ABC ran on Saturday night--Dennis Quaid in "Yours, Mine and Ours."

I mentioned it as context for why I saw so many ABC ads in one night.

No problem. I was just afraid I had missed a lead in to the series
    Favorite Dr Oliverisms

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel;3402468;
    I've been waiting for this one and hope it's as good as I'd like it to be. I like Amber Tamblyn (and her father who I hope will make some guest appearances as he did in Joan of Arcadia). It looks to be a mixture of action, unusual story lines, and some humor, a combination that with good acting and writing can make for a very entertaining show.
    Looking forward to this one (I like cop shows. I like quirky shows. This sounds like a good mix.), but not as much as the other new cop show this week (Southland - seems more intense). Joe Mantegna (aka Papa Girardi) is on CBS' Criminal Minds, so I doubt if he'll be dropping by ... but one can hope.

Quote Originally Posted by teetoo;3404521;
    Looking forward to this one (I like cop shows. I like quirky shows. This sounds like a good mix.), but not as much as the other new cop show this week (Southland - seems more intense). Joe Mantegna (aka Papa Girardi) is on CBS' Criminal Minds, so I doubt if he'll be dropping by ... but one can hope.
    I love Papa Girardi too but I think Florimel was actually talking about Amber's father IRL Russ Tamblyn. I totally love him I had the biggest crush on him when I was a little girl because I didn't understand that the movies I saw him in when he was a teenager were old movies and that he was really my parents' age Seven Brides for Seven Brothers is one of mine and my sister's favorite musicals of all time so we begged our high school music teacher to do that for our school play.. My sister played Milly (she was a senior) and I was going to play Alice (I was a freshman) until a senior girl (who was mad that she got passed over for my sister for the part of Milly ) threw an all out temper tantrum so she played Alice instead and I got stuck playing Dorcus' little sister (which I ended up having fun with anyway) My pigtails were hilarious and I stole the show with my hysterical delivery of my 1 stupid line Sorry for rambling since that was way OT...
    Favorite Dr Oliverisms

oh, and Riff in West Side Story. Russ was one of my favorites also.

stacerace is right on target. I was talking about Russ Tamblyn, who did do a guest appearance or two on Joan of Arcardia. That barn raising dance in Seven Brides for Seven Brothers was arguably the best ensemble movie dance ever. Among the brothers, two ballet stars, (Jacques D'Amboise and Marc Platt), 1 ballet/jazz/movie dancer (Matt Mattox) two movie/broadway dancers (Russ Tamblyn and Tommy Rall). The only two non-dancer brothers were star Howard Keel who gave us handsome and his amazing baritone, and Jeff Richards, another one with looks and a fomer baseball player.

My top three movie ensemble dances:
    1. Barn dance in Seven Brides
    2. Gene Kelley's street ballet in An American in Paris
    3. Dream ballet in Oklahoma (danced by James Mitchell who plays Palmer Cortlandt on All My Children).
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel;3404565;
    stacerace is right on target. I was talking about Russ Tamblyn, who did do a guest appearance or two on Joan of Arcardia. That barn raising dance in Seven Brides for Seven Brothers was arguably the best ensemble movie dance ever. Among the brothers, two ballet stars, (Jacques D'Amboise and Marc Platt), 1 ballet/jazz/movie dancer (Matt Mattox) two movie/broadway dancers (Russ Tamblyn and Tommy Rall). The only two non-dancer brothers were star Howard Keel who gave us handsome and his amazing baritone, and Jeff Richards, another one with looks and a fomer baseball player.

My top three movie ensemble dances:
    1. Barn dance in Seven Brides
    2. Gene Kelley's street ballet in An American in Paris
    3. Dream ballet in Oklahoma (danced by James Mitchell who plays Palmer Cortlandt on All My Children).
    Totally agree.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

+ Reply to Thread