+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kings on NBC

Kings on NBC

Has anyone heard about this new show? I just found it and learned that it will have its 2-hour premiere this Sunday night.

The concept sounds interesting. From executive producer Michael Green (NBC’s "Heroes") comes a riveting new drama about a modern day monarchy. "Kings" is a contemporary re-telling of the timeless tale of David and Goliath. This series is an epic story of greed and power, war and romance, forbidden loves and secret alliances -- and a young hero who rises to power in a modern-day kingdom.

It stars Ian MacShane, which is enough for me to take a look.

Kings TV Show | Videos, Photos, Cast Bios & Character Profiles | NBC Official Site
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

Re: Kings on NBC

My DvR is already set!
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

I've seen the promos on NBC and will definitely record the premiere episode.

I thought the premiere episode was interesting, and worth checking out.

As a Christian, my major concern going in to it was the portrayal of God, and of the faith of the characters. I'd give the show a solid "meh" on that score.

Right off the bat, one of the primary characteristics of David in the Bible is his strong faith in God. That's not even hinted at in this show yet, though a lot of other characters talk about God all the time.

I did like King Silas' Godstuff. That was well portrayed, his ambivalence toward God, his willingness to chuck God under the bus as soon as God doesn't do what he wants. Very Bible-accurate.

I thought Rev. Samuels was great.

The portrayal of God's presence as a butterfly or flock of butterflies was interesting. Artistically, it was beautiful, and set up an interesting contrast between the living creature itself and the portrayal of the butterfly on the nation's flag - cold, logo-ish, sterile. But if I'm looking for help in my time of need, if I need strength and protection, I'm not going to look to a butterfly. It's an odd choice for an animal to symbolize God. We'll see if they broaden that out in some way later on.
    For those who are wondering, my name is spelt "Denes House," but it's pronounced "Throatwobbler Mangrove."
    My blog; My online art gallery
    "WORSHIP...is the most appropriate response that can be made to resurrection" - Eugene Peterson

I have the opposite point of view since the religion issue is usually a turnoff for me, but this was a well-written and well-acted show that kept my attention throughout.

Ian McShane never fails to give an outstanding performance. I loved him in Deadwood and in the British series, Lovejoy. I didn't see a weak link in any of the performances.

Unfortunately, the show had dismal ratings, so I have my doubts as to how long it will last. I hope word of mouth will inspire people to watch.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Maybe like you, a lot of people may have been turned off by the David and Goliath reference. I enjoyed the show and didn't really see this as overly religious, although it would not have bothered me one way or the other. Since I find the premise interesting, this show probably won't last!

I like the fact that the religious stuff isn't overdone and that the analogy of the David story is treated from a literary rather than dogmatic viewpoint. I watched it initially for the very articulate Ian McShane, whom I loved in Deadwood.

I didn't know about the whole "David and Goliath" aspect until I went to IMDb to look up some of the actors -- and then could see the parallels with some of the characters' names. "David Shepherd" -- okay, that's pretty straightforward. And the king's son, Jack -- obviously "Jonathan," Saul's gay son and best friend/lover of David. (So I wonder if David Shepherd will turn out to be gay or bisexual, like his biblical counterpart?)

Anyway -- love the writing, love the acting, love the production quality. So how long 'til it gets cancelled in favor of some insipid reality show or yet another Law and Order? (I hope not, but am not holding my breath . . .)
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

I'm extremely confused and have gone back and watched a couple of times. Why does the king want to kill the soldier??
    Yup, with donuts!!

Actually he has a few reasons to want him dead.
    1. David's affect on and attraction to the princess.
    2. David's popularity
    3. David's 'teflon' personality - everything seems to come up roses for him.
    4. the King saw the butterflies wreath David's head - the King's own 'sign' from God that he was destined and to be king. The King is threatened so he's going to eliminate the competition.
    Last edited by Duxxy; 04-02-2009 at 02:40 PM.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Thanks Duxxy. Does the Queen know about the mistress?
    Yup, with donuts!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast