+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Kings on NBC

Re: Kings on NBC

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;3418652;
    Aw, man -- has Kings been cancelled already? It wasn't on tonight because of The Implants and Duct Tape Show The Miss USA Pageant. A quick glance at TV Guide shows no Kings on April 26 nor May 3.

Has anyone here heard any buzz on the subject?
    According to my TVGuide it's now on Saturdays at 8PM starting on 4/25.

It was on this past Saturday evening. I ran across it while flipping channels but my husband doesn't like it so I didn't take the time to see if it was a new episode.
    Yup, with donuts!!

Oh, shoot, I missed it!!

Quote Originally Posted by Coco46;3418934;
    Oh, shoot, I missed it!!
    [sarcasm]How very nice of NBC to let us know![/sarcasm] Is Donald Wildemon & Co. pressuring NBC to have Kings go the way of Book of Daniel?
    Oh well -- I'm glad I asked. I missed the April 18 ep, but I'll set my DVD recorder for the 25th. Thanky muchy!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I'm still waiting on Deadwood to come back! Couldn't get into this one, but I didn't try until the second or third episode.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

i tuned in to the premiere and first couple of regular episodes with great enthusiasm. 1) LOVE ian mcshane...would watch him read the phone book and b) was intrigued to see how the transference of a biblical story in modern times would play out. i consider myself to be a rather enthusiastic 'fan' and i was pretty much checked out before the third episode. nbc shoving into the death knell saturday night timeslot was a bad sign.

a lot of potential there...but i never really 'felt' it. wanted to, really.

will still pay to see ian mcshane read the phone book, tho...

Quote Originally Posted by BeckyQOC;3421164;
    . . . 1) LOVE ian mcshane...would watch him read the phone book . . . will still pay to see ian mcshane read the phone book, tho...
    Amen to that!

'Kings': NBC exiles show to summer

Apr 22, 2009, 09:16 AM | by Jeff Labrecque

Categories: Television

NBC's midseason drama Kings has been exiled to summer. The Hollywood Reporter confirmed that the low-rated drama, which was recently shifted to Saturday night after failing to find an audience on Sundays, had been pulled from the current schedule altogether. The show, starring Ian McShane, will return on June 13 and complete its run on July 25.

Starting this Saturday, NBC will air reruns of Law & Order: SVU, Southland, and Law & Order.
    'Kings': NBC exiles show to summer | TV, movie and music news | Television | EW.com

So I just finished watching all of the remaining episodes of this series. No wonder it tanked. It was a larger than life story filled with larger than life characters and disjointed dialogue set in present time. Perhaps if this were a period drama such as Tudors or Rome it would have faired better. Also it would have had to be on HBO or some other cable station - it was just too tame and not nearly interesting enough to capture and hold an audience's attention. This one deserved the axe.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Quote Originally Posted by Duxxy;3623251;
    . . . Also it would have had to be on HBO or some other cable station - it was just too tame and not nearly interesting enough to capture and hold an audience's attention. . .
    I think having to work within the confines of network censorship was what killed this show -- not so much the setting. I watched the show mainly for Ian McShane, as I loved him in Deadwood; shoot, he could read the label on a Cheerios box, and I'd listen, riveted.

Had Kings been on either Showtime or HBO -- hell, even FX -- without all of the puritanical restrictions, the writers could have really done something with the topic and made it truly must-see. Had The Sopranos, Deadwood, Rome, etc. been on NBC, they'd have had the same boring fate.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123