+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kings on NBC

Re: Kings on NBC

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;3401433;
    I'm extremely confused and have gone back and watched a couple of times. Why does the king want to kill the soldier??
    Oh, for the same reasons that Saul wanted to kill David (their biblical counterparts)!

BTW, the literary parallels are interesting -- even as far as some of the characters' lines.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

So I took the end of the last episode to mean he wouldn't be visiting his son or girlfriend anymore. Did I catch that right?
    Yup, with donuts!!

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;3401537;
    Thanks Duxxy. Does the Queen know about the mistress?
    With this Queen? I would be shocked if she didn't know. She's one of the more interesting characters on the show, IMO.
    For those who are wondering, my name is spelt "Denes House," but it's pronounced "Throatwobbler Mangrove."
    My blog; My online art gallery
    "WORSHIP...is the most appropriate response that can be made to resurrection" - Eugene Peterson

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;3401627;
    So I took the end of the last episode to mean he wouldn't be visiting his son or girlfriend anymore. Did I catch that right?
    Yeppers. His adulterous relationship was the sacrifice he believed God required in order to save his son.
    For those who are wondering, my name is spelt "Denes House," but it's pronounced "Throatwobbler Mangrove."
    "WORSHIP...is the most appropriate response that can be made to resurrection" - Eugene Peterson

Got it. I feel like I finally understand most of the show. I'm not usually this bad at figuring things out. This is a good show and I'm curious to see what happens with the son. He is hurting inside due to his sexuality and the fact that he cannot just be himself.
    Yup, with donuts!!

I'm not religious nor a bible-thumper at all -- but for purely literary reasons, I recommend reading the accounts of Saul/David/Jonathan in the bible (Kings, some of Psalms) in order to get a better understanding of the biblical/literary allusions in Kings. Sort of like reading Homer's Odyssey before watching Oh Brother, Where Art Thou? -- it makes a lot more sense, adds depth, and is more interesting.

Good recommendation, Ellen. On the other hand, reading the source material highlights a fact that has been bugging me more and more each week. In this show, David is pretty much a wuss. No? He's the puppy-dog-eyed protagonist, but he really does nothing in each episode. He reacts, soulfully, to everything, but never takes action. He has no boldness, little courage, and certainly displays less and less military prowess. What he can do - and do expertly - is have moist eyes.

Whatever else you want to say about the Bible's David, he was a man of action. He did stuff. He affected the course of history. So far, I see nothing in David Shepherd to indicate that he's that kind of man.

Whatever else you want to say about the Bible's David, he was a man of action. He did stuff. He affected the course of history. So far, I see nothing in David Shepherd to indicate that he's that kind of man.
    I know what you mean. I wonder if that's going to change as his character grows up and evolves -- that is, if Kings isn't cancelled before that happens.

Aw, man -- has Kings been cancelled already? It wasn't on tonight because of The Implants and Duct Tape Show The Miss USA Pageant. A quick glance at TV Guide shows no Kings on April 26 nor May 3.

Has anyone here heard any buzz on the subject?

I'm bored with it anyway. With the success of Rome and The Tudors I don't know why they bothered to modernize the story. With Rome's departure I'm sure there's room for another period drama.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast