+ Reply to Thread
Page 95 of 161 FirstFirst ... 45858687888990919293949596979899100101102103104105145 ... LastLast
Like Tree528Likes

Thread: Castle on ABC

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Re: Castle on ABC

OK, I just happened to watch a tape of The Office with Angela's "Senator" in it, and then watched tonight's Castle with the bad guy politician who killed Beckett's mom on it... same actor? Hard transition from humorous bad guy to serious bad guy...

Why oh why won't thy resolve the storyline involving Beckett's mother's killer and let it go? I cannot be the only person who is tired of it.

Quote Originally Posted by nanarama View Post
    Why oh why won't thy resolve the storyline involving Beckett's mother's killer and let it go? I cannot be the only person who is tired of it.
    They have at least mostly resolved this one - the fact that the chief knows the issue will factor in some and with luck there is ONE more story connected here.

I DO - like you - wish that they'd finish it up though - I really do NOT want this to become ABC's version of the "Red John" storyline in "The Mentalist" - used so much I can't watch the series anymore. There is a reason why "Mentalist" is on Sunday - and it's not that it's a popular timeslot.

The only glaring thing I noticed was that this is one of the rare times we haven't seen even Susan Sullivan (who plays Castle's mom) in the episode. (at least that I caught). Not that it bothered me - it is better to not have her in a storyline if it detracts from the story, but it is a surprise.

Next week's looks to be more in the norm of the series - still light hearted and fun in the middle of seriousness. The more traditional fun Castle story that has made the series a success.

I don't mind the mother s/l or the RJ s/l on the Mentalist - it kind of makes it a cross between and episodic and a serial. I find the serial episodes smattered amongst the stand alone episodes provide a more realistic look rather than always having cases being wrapped up in 45 minutes. With this show in particular I like the lighthearted campiness, but then I like that they do go more hardcore and tackle something harder hitting. Beckett having to protect the life of the man responsible for her mother's death showed Beckett's struggle, strength and conviction - it gives her more depth

I didn't miss Susan until you mentioned it - she and the daughter tend to bring that gooey, lightheartedness that would've stuck out like a sore thumb in this episode.
    “No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible.” George Chakiris

Believe nothing that you hear and only half of what you see. :nono

Maybe then I'm the only one then who is tired of that story line. When they bring up the murder of Kate's mom, I tend to tune out and only half watch that episode. Personally, I enjoy the show for the light-hearted banter and the campy plots. A little bit of depth on occasion is okay for me, but overall I liked to keep it fun. The show has excellent actors and it's nice to see their range, but the "mom's murder plot" has passed it's expiration date - for me, at least.

I adore "Castle," and I, too, think it's time to wrap up the Beckett's mother story. On the other hand, they only use it a couple of times per season now and I can live with that. On the third hand, assuming there is such a thing, we've seen a bit of some of the other characters' back stories, and I'd enjoy seeing more of that. I trust the writers; they have managed to make me feel more positive about the captain, something I didn't think was possible. What still grates is their calling her "Sir." I hate when female executives are called that; it just sounds ridiculous to me. Either call her ma'am or devise a gender neutral term of respect.
    Duxxy likes this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by nanarama View Post
    You're not. I absolutely dread the Somebody-Killed-Her-Mother episodes. They completely ignore everything that makes Castle unique & fun to watch.

I'm one of the ones who finally totally stopped watching The Mentalist because of the Red John episodes. The show was also unique & fun to watch except for Red John.

With both shows, these episodes are like throwing a cold wet blanket on the enjoyment. They're just plain downers. I don't watch Castle for a downer.
    nanarama likes this.
    "Success is getting what you want; Happiness is wanting what you get."

CCL

Add me to the chorus regarding Beckett's mother. It reminds me of Crossing Jordan - I didn't care who killed her mother either. I prefer that the "mystery" of the week be the focus with the other elements, such as personal lives and stories, being attendant to the main storyline.
    SpringMaiden27 and nanarama like this.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    I adore "Castle," and I, too, think it's time to wrap up the Beckett's mother story. On the other hand, they only use it a couple of times per season now and I can live with that. On the third hand, assuming there is such a thing, we've seen a bit of some of the other characters' back stories, and I'd enjoy seeing more of that. I trust the writers; they have managed to make me feel more positive about the captain, something I didn't think was possible. What still grates is their calling her "Sir." I hate when female executives are called that; it just sounds ridiculous to me. Either call her ma'am or devise a gender neutral term of respect.
    I think in the case of the show, the Captain insisted on her being called that. It isn't out there though to have people call anyone in an emergency service job to call someone sir from what I've experienced. I don't know if it's ease in saying it or Ma'am can get muddled into "Mmmm" which is dismissive or in the case of paramedics be confused as someone feeling ill or about to pass out.

Good News - Castle is adding one new episode to the roster for this season (for a total of 24)- and it's looking good for Season 6, even though there has been a slight ratings decrease of late.
    “No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible.” George Chakiris

Believe nothing that you hear and only half of what you see. :nono

+ Reply to Thread