+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 128 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181959109 ... LastLast
Like Tree264Likes

Thread: Castle on ABC

Re: Castle on ABC

This show has some great writing. It is funny, has wit, pokes fun as it's self and does not pound into us that justice must be served regardless who it hurts unlike Law and Order and Medium ad nausea. I truly like how the grandfather defended himself during the interview and that they left that open ended.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I really didn't intend to watch or like this show. The commercials made the main character look like a conceited sexist jerk, something I can't tolerate. That, plus the fact that there's way too many cop dramas on already.
    Then I watched it simply because the TV was already on after Dancing With the Stars & I was too lazy to push the button to change the channel (really).

Surprisingly, I really like this show. The main character can be a smart-alec sexist jerk at times, but has another side to him & is quite intuitive & smart. Plus he knows when to turn off the act & get real.
    I also like his family & his interaction with them. It shows that other side of him.

The stories are interesting & have a good mystery solving line to them (as any self respecting Miss Scarlet would know).

Thumbs Up!!

I love this show just as I had originally thought I would. The writing is sharp, intelligent, and witty. The ensemble cast is great, which for me is a major element in making a tv show a treat. The female lead is a talented actress and a great match for Nathan Fillion's Castle.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

FORT Fogey

As a writer myself I fully identify with every aspect of Castle's character.

There are a lot of writers' in-jokes--like the flow chart. I wish I had time to look at it more closely.

What I don't like about the show--and I like almost everything about it--is when they let Castle do cop things--like asking questions of a suspect or witness. It's like fingernails on a chalkboard because it always pulls me out of the story and reminds me of the really negative legal ramifications of letting a non-sworn person do anything like that.

Any evidence they gathered after something like that would be considered fruit of the poisonous tree--and would most likely get thrown out of court.

Other than that I love the show and try not to miss it.
    Last edited by steppemaster; 04-07-2009 at 02:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by steppemaster;3405571;
    As a writer myself I fully identify with every aspect of Castle's character.

There are a lot of writers' in-jokes--like the flow chart. I wish I had time to look at it more closely.

What I don't like about the show--and I like almost everything about it--is when they let Castle do cop things--like asking questions of a suspect or witness. It's like fingernails on a chalkboard because it always pulls me out of the story and reminds me of the really negative legal ramifications of letting a non-sworn person do anything like that.

Any evidence they gathered after something like that would be considered fruit of the poisonous tree--and would most likely get thrown out of court.

My husband says the same thing.

We both enjoy the show. I think the chemistry between the two main leads is definitely there, which is really important. Kind of like Booth and Bones' chemistry in Bones, in order for a show with this premise to work, there has to be a certain sexual chemistry between the 2 leads.

I enjoy the sly snarkiness of the Castle character, with the initial hardness of Beckett's character.

Last night was one of my favorites. LOVED her expressions during the visit to Castle's home from the initial freaky opening of the door to her realization that his writing style and the detective style of organization are very similiar.

I liked getting some of her back story. Although I think she is going to be livid when she finds out that Castle got her mom's file. I think he will try to solve her mom's case and find her killer. I think she is going to have a battle of morals on that one.

Can't wait for more episodes!

Still LOVING this show! I've seen all three shows and they're all strong. I do agree with steppemaster that the only weak point is having Castle ask questions of the suspect. That bothers me too. They need to set some boundaries for him. Maybe then they could have him doing something clever to get his questions asked.

I hope the reviews are good for this show. Great casting!

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by steppemaster;3405571;

I have to agree with everyone else on this as far as the "realisticness" of Castle asking questions of suspects. But,I keep reminding myself that it's TV, not real life, and Castle taking part in the interrogations is one of the many things that make this show what it is.

My favorite quote of Castle's so far is "I'm a wise a$$, not a jacka$$".

Quote Originally Posted by herdfan84;3407070;
    I have to agree with everyone else on this as far as the "realisticness" of Castle asking questions of suspects. But,I keep reminding myself that it's TV, not real life, and Castle taking part in the interrogations is one of the many things that make this show what it is.

My favorite quote of Castle's so far is "I'm a wise a$$, not a jacka$$".
    I'm in agreement. This is fiction and mystery fiction at that. When we look at all the British detectives, both older and modern, or stories like Perry Mason, The Thin Man, Maltese Falcon, Nero Wolfe, etc., etc., I'll choose good storytelling over realism anytime.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

I'm on board with not caring that Castle oversteps his bounds during interrogation, and other police business. Sure I notice it, but I just as quickly dismiss it. After all, it's just television. We're allowed some poetic license to further the entertainment. Otherwise, Michael Moore and Oliver Stone would never be allowed to make another movie.

I'm totally onboard with the poetic license being granted to entertainment. If they can show CSI's who actually question, etc. their suspects, instead of leaving the job to a policeman, then Castle should be allowed this concession, too.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

+ Reply to Thread