+ Reply to Thread
Page 53 of 134 FirstFirst ... 3434445464748495051525354555657585960616263103 ... LastLast
Like Tree305Likes

Thread: Castle on ABC

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Re: Castle on ABC

Quote Originally Posted by JavaJo;4079681;
    Except? On the show, Beckett does have a crush, or something like it, on Castle. I think it stems from way back before she even met him because she has all the books and is an avid fan.
    Yes, true, but on the show I have the impression she's attracted at least as much to his personality as to the physical side, while in the book it's more like the "flutter" one reads about in bodice slashers when the heroine first sees the (usually inappropriate for her status/class) hero. Maybe it just seems different because the book is first person from Nikki's perspective, while the show only can show the outside of people, and if anything is from Castle's perspective.
    Read a little more...there's a poker group and grande dame actress mother for Rook. No daughter yet, and given he's a globe trotting journalist maybe there won't be one. The interaction with Alexis by both Beckett and Castle is one of my favorite parts of the show.

Quote Originally Posted by PWS;4079663;
    Started the first Nikki Heat book. She's written much like the Beckett character on the show, except she's portrayed as having a crush on the writer who is shadowing her on the job (a crush she's fighting)...which, if you know the show, is clearly something Castle might write. There is not a lot description of her physically so far, other than her long fingers. Her language is a little cruder than on the show, but otherwise . The assistant detectives are a Hispanic and European American team (no Grace equivalent so far) as on the show. AND the writer, while now a journalist not a mystery writer, is named Rook, not Castle .
    I'm not sure I would consider it a great detective story without the tie in, but it's definitely readable so far, and with the tie in, fun.
    Rook instead of Castle! I love that and wonder how many non-chess players get it.

That's just the kind of word play that endears an author to me, somewhat like Roger Zelazny naming a court jester character Droppa MaPantz in the Chronicles of Amber
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by PWS;4079884;
    Yes, true, but on the show I have the impression she's attracted at least as much to his personality as to the physical side, while in the book it's more like the "flutter" one reads about in bodice slashers when the heroine first sees the (usually inappropriate for her status/class) hero. Maybe it just seems different because the book is first person from Nikki's perspective, while the show only can show the outside of people, and if anything is from Castle's perspective.
    Read a little more...there's a poker group and grande dame actress mother for Rook. No daughter yet, and given he's a globe trotting journalist maybe there won't be one. The interaction with Alexis by both Beckett and Castle is one of my favorite parts of the show.
    And I would say that Castle doesn't know she has a crush on him. The book is written by the writer - so while Castle may want her to have a crush on him, and would write it like that - and while we the audience know she does, HE doesn't know that.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by KatesMom;4079958;
    And I would say that Castle doesn't know she has a crush on him. The book is written by the writer - so while Castle may want her to have a crush on him, and would write it like that - and while we the audience know she does, HE doesn't know that.
    Yes, I agree---gets very complicated when there are so many different make believe people/writers involved!
    Just read the famous sex scene--the one Castle caught Beckett reading in the toilet...at least I assume that's it. I don't know---sex during a black out durng a heat wave doesn't do it for me....slimy sex is how I look at it...but I know it does do it for some. A black out during a blizzard is more my thing!
    The other difference that I notice between Beckett and Nikki is that Nikki is unbelievably good at karate/kung fu type fighting. I mean Beckett is good, but Nikki is in the realm of kung fu movies.

Quote Originally Posted by PWS;4079969;
    I don't know---sex during a black out durng a heat wave doesn't do it for me....
    LOL that made me laugh so hard! My mind went back to August 2003 when half of both of our countries went dark and 9 months later there was a huge baby boom. There isn't much else to do during a blackout.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Duxxy;4080486;
    LOL that made me laugh so hard! My mind went back to August 2003 when half of both of our countries went dark and 9 months later there was a huge baby boom. There isn't much else to do during a blackout.
    Yeah, apparently every blackout, hot or cold, it happens...really, people can't find the condoms by candlelight?
    Finished the first book...in the Acknowledgements at the end "Castle" thanks his mother and Alexis for their support! Then goes on to thank a bunch of others... some of whom must be real people, but probably some are also names from the show that I've forgotten.
    Started the 2nd book.... Now the Hispanic detective is divorced and pursuing Nikki's best friend, the female ME. And everyone is mad at Rook because his article was all about Nikki, not the team, and had way too much personal info about her for her to feel comfortable--plus she is mad that the team didn't get credit, and it makes things awkward with the team--shades of the beginning of this season.

Speaking of the steamy scene in the first Nikki Heat book, there's a video from this year's Comic Con of Nathan and Stana doing a hilarious reading of the pages leading up to the non PG-13 part of that book. I think it's probably still on YouTube and is definitely worth the search.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

PWS
    FORT Fogey

That sounds like fun! So far not so much explicit sex in the 2nd book...(or in the rest of the first)...more a steamy kiss and lots of heated discussion, then it's the next morning.
    The 2nd book is seeming somewhat better as a mystery so far. Not that the first was bad.

Okay, I found the video. When I watched it a few months ago, it was part of a longer video of the entire panel discussion. This is just the few minutes of them reading the book: YouTube - Comic-Con 2010 - Castle Panel - Nathan Fillion Reads a page of a Rick Castle Book
    Stana's funny in it, but Nathan is completely hilarious. The whole panel discussion is actually pretty funny (and is still up on YouTube.) You really can see the genuine affection between the cast.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

PWS
    FORT Fogey

What a ham! Really funny.

+ Reply to Thread