+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree528Likes

Thread: Castle on ABC

  1. #1221
    Read The Clue Bearcata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Edge of the Beltway
    Posts
    20,384

    Re: Castle on ABC

    I think it is really sloppy writing if all of us viewers are figuratively scratching our heads trying to figure out what the heck happened. BAAAAAD WRITERS!
    Miss_Griss likes this.
    No goat killers on my island.

  2. #1222
    FORT Fogey Florimel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    7,145

    Re: Castle on ABC

    I'm sure we haven't seen the last of this story line, which is the kind that will pop up a couple of times a season and carry forward.

    I hope the writers continue to do exactly what they've been doing for the past several years, which is to give me entertaining stories about characters I love. The characters always come first for me anyway. If I don't feel them, it doesn't matter how good or bad the stories are. If I love the characters, I can easily suspend my reality for the sake of the story.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

    http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

  3. #1223
    Read The Clue Bearcata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Edge of the Beltway
    Posts
    20,384

    Re: Castle on ABC

    I can suspend my reality for the sake of the story and do many times considering the various genres I read and watch. My main beef with the most recently aired episode is that there must be internal logic to the story consistent with the world that story is residing in. This particular episode was not so good and popped me out of that world into "real life". That is a sign of not good story telling. Overall I find the show fun, campy and a blast to watch.
    No goat killers on my island.

  4. #1224
    FORT Fogey Jaceegirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,225

    Re: Castle on ABC

    Quote Originally Posted by mushybrain View Post
    First to the bold: I don't remember Beckett interviewing Elena. Maybe I missed that.

    And here is my take (with a great willingness to suspend my disbelief) on how everything went down.

    I don't know if Elena knew about Beckett's relationship with the Senator or not. But Vulcan Simmons, who is obviously tied to the Senator, did. After Simmons gave the order to have Beckett killed, either he notified the Senator (Lazarus) that Beckett was involved, or the Senator found out some other way (from any number of his evil underlings). When the Senator found out Beckett was going to be killed, he gave the order to spare her.

    Details are sketchy on how Elena fits in because the writers want us to wonder and speculate about it, along with all kinds of other things. All we know is that Lazarus sent her.

    Of course, Elena getting there in the nick of time to save Beckett is every bit as implausible as Beckett having time to stage an assassination using ketchup and beet juice! But I am willing to overlook those nonsensical things because I love the characters and their interactions.
    I just watched this show last night and enjoyed it. I didn't care for the torture of Beckett constantly being put underneath the water because something like that just terrifies me. I guess I like this show because it is always a bit different and can be almost comical one week and then as this episode showed was obviously very serious in nature.

    As far I remember Beckett never did interview Elena. Didn't the guy Fowler come to the police dept. asking for everything to be hush hush) show Beckett and her boss the interview when Elena had come to them looking for protection? As far as he knew Elena was just a drug courier. That is how I am remembering it. Beckett was chosen because of being able to speak Russian and also because she looked like Elena. I also remember Fowler saying that Elena had never been seen by anyone and that all communications had been handled by text. I remember Beckett's boss saying that she didn't have to take the assignment, but Beckett said she could handle it. Everything had to be kept quiet and she was not allowed to say anything to anyone.

    I agree details were sketchy, but my feeling was that this was something that could be coming up for a future episode. The Senator has all his campaign money still being supplied and the debt he owed Beckett is now even.

    Even if this episode didn't seem like all ends were tied up in a bow and neatly finished it is why I like Castle. You never know what you are going to get each week. Someone mentioned earlier in this thread how predictable some shows had become like Criminal Minds and House. Criminal Minds at one time was a show that I loved, but now it seems way to predictable. There is no more mystery to it.

    I just love the chemistry between not only Beckett and Castle, but I like all the other interactions between all of the characters on the show.

  5. #1225
    FORT Fogey Miss_Griss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    4,494

    Re: Castle on ABC

    Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    It was that Vice Chief who thought/said she was a drug courier, he never said she was an assassin, she never said she was an assassin, why lie to Beckett about it in the interview. The plot screams setup.

    'Sides if that Vice cop knew sElena was an assassin and didn't tell Beckett and the others he basically set up Beckett to be killed.
    Of course they didn't know that she was an assassin. I just said it that way, because after watching the show we all know that and it was shorter than "the assassin who they thought was a drug courier," but re-reading my post, I can see that actually might have helped.

    Sorry if I confused things in otherwise agreeing with what you said.
    Seeking form amidst the void.

    But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

  6. #1226
    CCL
    CCL is offline
    Climbing Solsbury Hill CCL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Here and there
    Posts
    8,956

    Re: Castle on ABC

    It's kind of funny because I didn't find the episode at all confusing but others did. . It wasn't my favourite episode (anything that even remotely touches on the Beckett mother saga is not for me, and I generally like the "lighter" episodes) but it was fine. I guess it got people talking and that has to be a positive.
    Last edited by CCL; 03-08-2014 at 10:43 PM.
    Florimel likes this.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

  7. #1227
    FORT Fogey Miss Scarlet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    5,520

    Re: Castle on ABC

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaceegirl View Post
    I just watched this show last night and enjoyed it. I didn't care for the torture of Beckett constantly being put underneath the water because something like that just terrifies me. I guess I like this show because it is always a bit different and can be almost comical one week and then as this episode showed was obviously very serious in nature.

    As far I remember Beckett never did interview Elena. Didn't the guy Fowler come to the police dept. asking for everything to be hush hush) show Beckett and her boss the interview when Elena had come to them looking for protection? As far as he knew Elena was just a drug courier. That is how I am remembering it. Beckett was chosen because of being able to speak Russian and also because she looked like Elena. I also remember Fowler saying that Elena had never been seen by anyone and that all communications had been handled by text. I remember Beckett's boss saying that she didn't have to take the assignment, but Beckett said she could handle it. Everything had to be kept quiet and she was not allowed to say anything to anyone.

    I agree details were sketchy, but my feeling was that this was something that could be coming up for a future episode. The Senator has all his campaign money still being supplied and the debt he owed Beckett is now even.

    Even if this episode didn't seem like all ends were tied up in a bow and neatly finished it is why I like Castle. You never know what you are going to get each week. Someone mentioned earlier in this thread how predictable some shows had become like Criminal Minds and House. Criminal Minds at one time was a show that I loved, but now it seems way to predictable. There is no more mystery to it.

    I just love the chemistry between not only Beckett and Castle, but I like all the other interactions between all of the characters on the show.
    I remember the bolded part exactly the way you do.
    I also felt it was made rather clear that the Senator was the real Lazarus. The other guy was just a frontman.
    Florimel likes this.
    "Success is getting what you want; Happiness is wanting what you get."

  8. #1228
    FORT Fogey anders332's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    12,746

    Re: Castle on ABC

    Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    I think it is really sloppy writing if all of us viewers are figuratively scratching our heads trying to figure out what the heck happened. BAAAAAD WRITERS!
    funny - it made sense to me....I don't understand what was unclear...???
    Florimel likes this.
    “No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible.” George Chakiris

    Believe nothing that you hear and only half of what you see. :nono

  9. #1229
    FORT Fogey anders332's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    12,746

    Re: Castle on ABC

    Quote Originally Posted by CCL View Post
    The Lazarus guy was not the top dog of the operation- Bracken was. He undoubtedly reported to Bracken about the security breach and who it was (Beckett) and what he planned to do to her (kill her). Bracken then called in the assassin to save Beckett. Why didn't Bracken not just have Lazarus call off the kill? Maybe he didn't want him to know, maybe it would show he (Bracken) had a weakness that could be exploited, maybe Lazarus has a big mouth ...who knows. Bracken probably wanted to keep his being behind the saving of Beckett quiet and just let one person (the assassin) know how Beckett was freed.
    simple - Bracken wanted Beckett to know he saved her ass - he didnt' do this out of the goodness of his heart, he was sending her a message that the next time (and there will be a next time) he will take her out. Beckett said that when she saved his ass that he responded by saying 'now I owe you one' - and as she said, this levels the playing field and all bets are off. Of course Bracken will end up the loser (prolly dead) and Beckett will finally have the person responsible for her mother's death brought to justice.
    Florimel likes this.
    “No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible.” George Chakiris

    Believe nothing that you hear and only half of what you see. :nono

  10. #1230
    Read The Clue Bearcata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Edge of the Beltway
    Posts
    20,384

    Re: Castle on ABC

    Quote Originally Posted by anders332 View Post
    funny - it made sense to me....I don't understand what was unclear...???
    That's the point, it is unclear. If this many folks are posting and trying to figure out what happened? what went where? who is who? etc ... it's poor storytelling.
    No goat killers on my island.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.