+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree313Likes

Thread: Castle on ABC

Re: Castle on ABC

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock View Post
    Well, I can say that I wasn't surprised what happened, but HOW it happened well... that was a bit of a surprise:

Kate is fired from the FBI, and now probably will go back to being a New York cop. That I expected, but not because she protects a woman from being a patsy for the CIA. I did like that her Washington co-worker respected it and actually could tell she regretted saying what she had to say

Why I like it? - This show actually knows what works and instead of keeping it going for too long - like Red John and "The Mentalist" they do a few episodes, have a good conclusion to it and move on.

In fact, I think that the dragging on of "Red John" is what has HURT "The Mentalist," and I still think the show after this season is up in the air.

I will say I loved the interaction between Kate and the rest of the New York Police Department. It was funny and touching at the same time. The reactions to Castle too were quite funny and typical of said cast then and now.

My only irritation is with Alexis' boyfriend. There is annoying and overkill on the annoying. I think the guy is playing the role a smidge over the top.
    funny how you bring up RJ but forget that Castle has the same thing with Beckett's mom.

And Beckett, as much as anyone knows that they don't always get the desired outcome, so for her to go behind the backs of the CIA/FBI and be an anonymous tipster is way out of character, even for her ---like Castle said - that's something HE would do, not her.
    “No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible.” George Chakiris

Believe nothing that you hear and only half of what you see. :nono

Quote Originally Posted by anders332 View Post
    funny how you bring up RJ but forget that Castle has the same thing with Beckett's mom.

And Beckett, as much as anyone knows that they don't always get the desired outcome, so for her to go behind the backs of the CIA/FBI and be an anonymous tipster is way out of character, even for her ---like Castle said - that's something HE would do, not her.
    I used to watch The Mentalist & loved it, but quit because of Red John. The RJ episodes put a giant cold wet blanket on an otherwise great, original, & fun series.

The somebody-killed-her-mother storyline does the same thing with Castle. The entire feel & nature of the show is changed, & not for the better. The difference is that those episodes are few & far between.

As to Beckett & leaking the info, I got the feeling that she didn't give a darn about the outcome to her & if she lost her job, so be it.
    Beckett has always been a "do what's right" kind of detective, rather than the "do what you're told & don't ask questions" type. It's been pointed out repeatedly that her new job went against that. Her conflict in this has been made apparent.

I kind of like the fact that Castle got a DC apartment so they could be together, & that they showed that before she lost her job. It added some stability to their relationship, that he'd do that.
    Florimel and Katydyd like this.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

There was a time when Castle was overloaded with The Rachel Beckett s/l and I was glad to see them reduce that part. As for RJ - I know a lot of folks gave up on the show because of it, but I haven't and I won't - it's likely in its last season and this season has been all about RJ and who that might be, and we're now down to only 6 people it could be.

anyway - I digress, it was the X3K killer that Castle had a hard time with because he got away and weren't able to 'end' the case, and it was Beckett who had to tell him they don't always get to 'win'. Her job, whether it is with the NYPD or FBI is always about that, so it was OOC for her to go against the CIA. She's put her ass on the line to catch a perp when he/she was catchable, but never untouchable.
    “No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible.” George Chakiris

You are right, but there have been maybe two seasons where this was a major plot but with The Mentalist it feels like EVERY season. In fact, on the latter almost every story has a title referring to red.

Well that and Kate's mom and her murder wasn't super browbeaten into us - at least to me.

As far as the tip... I think it's a way of showing how Castle has rubbed off on her. Either that or subconsciously she was hating her decision to go to Washington and self sabotaged. It was out of character... but again didn't bother me too much.

In fact, it could very well be a character development we'll see more of soon, which would add a nice breath of fresh air to the series during a season idea that could seriously make or break the show's chances for a season.

It bothered me because they used it as a device to get her back in NY - when we all knew it was going to happen. I would rather she have decided she wanted out.

As far as I'm aware, Castle has a pretty solid audience and isn't in danger of getting cancelled anytime soon - and changing the dynamic at the beginning of this season and throwing in Lisa Edelstein was a downer for me -- especially knowing it was only going to be temporary.
    Punkin likes this.

It bothered me because they used it as a device to get her back in NY - when we all knew it was going to happen. I would rather she have decided she wanted out.

As far as I'm aware, Castle has a pretty solid audience and isn't in danger of getting cancelled anytime soon - and changing the dynamic at the beginning of this season and throwing in Lisa Edelstein was a downer for me -- especially knowing it was only going to be temporary.
    In a way, based on Kate's body language, I could TELL she wanted out - at least in thought. But her love of the job also kept it in a conflict UNTIL she saw what the CIA was doing to the young lady.

What I DO think they did was handle it wrong - I will concede that, but just based on what I was seeing, it was subtle on how they were handling it.

On the plus... at least it's a minor quibble on the resolution than what could've been...

I mean - they could've had it where Kate decided she couldn't live without Castle and ran up to him with flowers and romantic music jump into his arms and then stick out her tongue at the FBI and then quit saying "Castle is the love of my life and you banana brains have no idea on what compassion is" ....

They may have done better making it a full season of her in Washington but that was a gamble. I think back when "The Greatest American Hero" was filmed they seriously - but briefly - considered having it where they did move to Washington D.C. and have Bill and Ralph use the suit there. Fortunately that was dropped.

I wasn't surprised and was pleased about how they handled the DC job. The show gave respect to the feminist viewers who believe a woman should never give up a career for a man and they showed Castle as willing to change where he lives to support her. Then they showed her as neither willing nor able to live with the requirements of her new job. I don't think she is upset at the loss of her F.B.I. job or, if she is, she won't be for very long. NYC is where she belongs with her family, friends, and colleagues. She has a reasonably free hand there to do her job and maintain her values. So, well done, Castle writers!

As for Pi, I don't like that character. What I feel is that he is either there as a vehicle to stretch Alexis or as a plot device with a story of his own. He may wind up doing something spectacular that will bring Martha and Rick around, or he might do something dreadful to turn Alexis off, in which case he won't be around the entire season. I sure wouldn't eat his food. I'd like to see Alexis have a number of boyfriends as she matures.

What I would do with Pi if I were writing the show would be to have some of his activities in foreign countries be a vehicle to bring back Rick's dad for a story arc. But that's just me. I loved James Brolin in that role and I could see some funny scenes between him and Martha.
    nanarama likes this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    I wasn't surprised and was pleased about how they handled the DC job. The show gave respect to the feminist viewers who believe a woman should never give up a career for a man and they showed Castle as willing to change where he lives to support her. Then they showed her as neither willing nor able to live with the requirements of her new job. I don't think she is upset at the loss of her F.B.I. job or, if she is, she won't be for very long. NYC is where she belongs with her family, friends, and colleagues. She has a reasonably free hand there to do her job and maintain her values. So, well done, Castle writers!

As for Pi, I don't like that character. What I feel is that he is either there as a vehicle to stretch Alexis or as a plot device with a story of his own. He may wind up doing something spectacular that will bring Martha and Rick around, or he might do something dreadful to turn Alexis off, in which case he won't be around the entire season. I sure wouldn't eat his food. I'd like to see Alexis have a number of boyfriends as she matures.

What I would do with Pi if I were writing the show would be to have some of his activities in foreign countries be a vehicle to bring back Rick's dad for a story arc. But that's just me. I loved James Brolin in that role and I could see some funny scenes between him and Martha.
    I don't like his character at all, seems more like a cover a throw away cover like one of the dumb dorky boyfriends one of the girls on the Cosby always brought home to their dad. Besides that I am a strong proponent of a child/adult child living on their own for at least 6 months, no roomies, no live in boyfriends or girlfriends, just being by yourself, paying your own bills and supporting your self. I think it is an invaluable life lesson. 'Sides I would be furious if my daughter brought a stranger into my house and I was supporting him.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock View Post
    In a way, based on Kate's body language, I could TELL she wanted out - at least in thought. But her love of the job also kept it in a conflict UNTIL she saw what the CIA was doing to the young lady.

What I DO think they did was handle it wrong - I will concede that, but just based on what I was seeing, it was subtle on how they were handling it.

On the plus... at least it's a minor quibble on the resolution than what could've been...

I mean - they could've had it where Kate decided she couldn't live without Castle and ran up to him with flowers and romantic music jump into his arms and then stick out her tongue at the FBI and then quit saying "Castle is the love of my life and you banana brains have no idea on what compassion is" ....

They may have done better making it a full season of her in Washington but that was a gamble. I think back when "The Greatest American Hero" was filmed they seriously - but briefly - considered having it where they did move to Washington D.C. and have Bill and Ralph use the suit there. Fortunately that was dropped.
    I agree that at least they did it in a way that was believeable, rather than the hokey idea of her leaving the FBI for Richard.

I wanted her back in NY - but I thought they'd have her there a little longer. I would've thought they'd have her there until Christmas, but it does make it harder and harder to incorporate Richard, the captain, Lainie, Ryan & Esposito.

I agree that at least they did it in a way that was believeable, rather than the hokey idea of her leaving the FBI for Richard.

I wanted her back in NY - but I thought they'd have her there a little longer. I would've thought they'd have her there until Christmas, but it does make it harder and harder to incorporate Richard, the captain, Lainie, Ryan & Esposito.
    Bit confused as wasn't she a federal agent as she worked for the Attorney General's Office ... FBI agents have to do their 20 week training down at Quantico, VA. Kate was in DC and working immediately not going to the Academy.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

+ Reply to Thread