+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Late Nite with Jimmy Fallon

Late Nite with Jimmy Fallon

Early "first night only" verdict?

It sucked.

I'm aware that Conan sucked on his first night (heck, his first year) too, but even still... something about Fallon just SCREAMED "trying too hard".

The Roots were great though.

One big thing Fallon can do right away? Fire that really lame announcer. Second? Stop playing with Twitter (I've read a few blogs and posts around the net from people who were in the live audience yesterday and they say he was peering down and typing like mad on his iPhone during every break, and even during the musical performance) and pay more attention to your live audience.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion

Re: Late Nite with Jimmy Fallon

Hey Krom!

I agree. I missed Monday's show, but Tuesday's was so sad. I've always loved Jimmy - but I don't think he can carry an entire show. I mean even Tina Fey couldn't even pull it off - and she can do just about anything. Sorry Jimmy. I give him about a week.

FORT Fogey

I took one look at the ad and when they showed the first guest would be some old actor guy I knew I didn't really need to see the show.

FORT Fogey

I was never a fan of Fallon on SNL. He was good in some group things....

.but by himself he fell flat ( sort of like Norm MacD hosting an award show...BOOO)

This was not good at all. To ask DiNiro questions required only one word answers ( all that DeNiro was willing/able to give) was poor planning. You did know that your first guest was not a loquacious man, Jimmy??

Quote Originally Posted by steppemaster;3367034;
    I took one look at the ad and when they showed the first guest would be some old actor guy I knew I didn't really need to see the show.
    Yeah! Who's this "De Niro" anyway! Where were the REAL stars? The Jonas Brothers!

The guests aren't Fallon's problem. His problem is that he sucks. He's over his head big time. Maybe years from now we might look back at him on lets say his 5th Anniversary and laugh at how foolishly pessimistic we were... but... I just don't think so. Craig Ferguson, as a comparison, had me hooked almost immediately. Jimmy Kimmel I've never loved, but I DO have to admit that he had a viable formula almost from Day 1, and while it didn't suit my personal taste, it WAS properly polished. And I REMEMBER Conan's debut--it didn't suck NEARLY as much as historical retellings claim, because Conan was already a Class A writer.

Fallon? Not so much. Tina Fey always made Weekend Update, not him.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

The Roots were awesome!

I agree that this was not the best late night I have ever seen, but I do think that he is trying to make it his own. Its going to take awhile but I am not giving up on him yet .

This is my first night to watch it and we're only a few minutes in. First off it was just weird when it wasn't Conan's intro music that started to play. Now Jimmy is doing his monologue and he's got some funny material but he seems so nervous and won't take his eyes away from the teleprompter.
    "You better watch your mouth sunshine."-Daryl Dixon

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Krom;3367596;
    Yeah! Who's this "De Niro" anyway! Where were the REAL stars? The Jonas Brothers!

The guests aren't Fallon's problem. His problem is that he sucks. He's over his head big time. Maybe years from now we might look back at him on lets say his 5th Anniversary and laugh at how foolishly pessimistic we were... but... I just don't think so. Craig Ferguson, as a comparison, had me hooked almost immediately. Jimmy Kimmel I've never loved, but I DO have to admit that he had a viable formula almost from Day 1, and while it didn't suit my personal taste, it WAS properly polished. And I REMEMBER Conan's debut--it didn't suck NEARLY as much as historical retellings claim, because Conan was already a Class A writer.

Fallon? Not so much. Tina Fey always made Weekend Update, not him.

De Niro--yeah--that old guy.

I have never understood why he is thought to be a "great actor." I've never seen him doing anything great in any movie I've seen him in.

And if Fallon wants to appeal to a younger audience--why have such an old guy on?

Just IMO of course.

Quote Originally Posted by CantGetNuf;3369273;
    This is my first night to watch it and we're only a few minutes in. First off it was just weird when it wasn't Conan's intro music that started to play. Now Jimmy is doing his monologue and he's got some funny material but he seems so nervous and won't take his eyes away from the teleprompter.
    I saw a bit of the previous night's show and found him to be awkward and nervous. I am willing to cut him some slack - it cannot be easy stepping into Conan's shoes and I hope he finds his rhythm soon.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

FORT Regular

Good Lawd, is he bad. I think Pat Sajak was better a hundred years ago. Fallon doesn't even get a second watch.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast