+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 40 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Dollhouse on Fox

Re: Dollhouse on Fox

Quote Originally Posted by PWS;3320423;
    Wow, is this getting panned in the reviews...both Elisha as an actress and Josh as storyline creater---because he starts in the middle as it were and you don't get "Act 1" until the 2nd show, so the reviewer feels viewers will be confused and turned off and not watch more. On the other hand my guess is JW fans know how he works and will have faith (get it? ) that things will clarify...and there are lot of those fans...tho maybe not enough to maintain a show on Fox.
    The reviewers and the network people don't seem to understand that those who like Josh's work understand and appreciate his method of storytelling. They do not need everything spelled out for them as in a first-grade primer although the reviewers and executives probably do. They did the same thing with Firefly -- made them show the early episodes out of the order JW had in mind so as not to confuse the poor viewer. Thankfully, the DVD set shows them as he meant them to be seen.

Perhaps the series will be good; perhaps it won't. I do know that I don't want critics telling me ahead of time whether or not I should like it. Nor do I like them trying to kill off a scripted show before it even airs its first episode.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

I watched it last night and liked it. It may not ever be my favorite show, but I'm willing to give it a chance. I agree that Eliza may not be Meryl Streep, but she did okay and the story line was interesting. I kind of like the way Joss introduces a storyline. I like to have to keep guessing. The actress who played Fred in Angel is on this show too, playing a doctor, I think.

I doubt if the show will last. It seems like the critics are against it already and some won't give it a chance after hearing the bad reviews. I guess time will tell.

CCL

I thought it was rather meh myself. Hopefully it gets better in future.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

I LOVED it. I hope the network gives it time to develop all of the interesting story lines that Joss clearly wants to weave. I think it's going to have lots of fun complexity to it.

After hearing some of the reviews, I thought Eliza might not be up to the variety of acting it requires, but so far, I think she's doing a good job.
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit;3321720;
    I watched it last night and liked it. It may not ever be my favorite show, but I'm willing to give it a chance. I agree that Eliza may not be Meryl Streep, but she did okay and the story line was interesting. I kind of like the way Joss introduces a storyline. I like to have to keep guessing. The actress who played Fred in Angel is on this show too, playing a doctor, I think.

I doubt if the show will last. It seems like the critics are against it already and some won't give it a chance after hearing the bad reviews. I guess time will tell.
    I thought I recognized her! She certainly looks different--not so painfully thin, and with an actual haircut as opposed to the "distracted scientist who just lets her hair grow" look she had on Angel--prettier, but less distinctive--but still, I suddenly got a flash, it's Fred! And I would have sworn I wouldn't even have remembered the character's name by now. Even her voice is a little different. And she's clearly got a backstory, the way she flinches from Echo. Everytime I caught a glimpse of her I kept trying to see if it really was Fred, or just someone who looked like her from certain angles, but wasn't positive. Meant to imdb her, so thanks for saving me the time!
    I have to say the reviewer I mentioned above is a moron, or thinks TV viewers are. It wasn't that hard to follow, and clearly is being set up so that you gain info the longer you watch--but you have enough to figure out what's going on for the moment---especially if you've read all the hype about the "dolls'" brains being wiped and new personalities implanted. I think I would have gotten it even if I hadn't read that, but with that info it was perfectly clear.
    Also, although you wouldn't know it from the previews, clearly at the end we see that not all the "dolls" are women---in the final shot when they are put to bed, as it were, there are 3 women and 2 men. So that takes away a bit from the sicko sex slave images the show otherwise conjures up. I regret to say that I fear if this technology did really exist that would be FIRST illegal use it was put to, not whatever they are doing with it now.
    I thought Elisha was good enough...changed personalities well enough (a little unbelievable at first as the strict Miss Penn, but I got used to it)...and hopefully she'll get better with practice. Found the ads with Summer funny but weird...does kind of point up our obsession with robot women! Also odd to see Summer smile since she never does on Terminator!
    One question...who was the guy she was having the 3 day weekend with at the start? He seemed to know about her doll life I thought. Was he also one of the controllers? I didn't pay enough attention to his looks.

I really like the show too..and the reviewers are morons if they can't figure out the basics of this show. And Eliza has the 'blank' face down to a 'T'... its perfect!

Quote Originally Posted by PWS;3322061;
    Also, although you wouldn't know it from the previews, clearly at the end we see that not all the "dolls" are women---in the final shot when they are put to bed, as it were, there are 3 women and 2 men. So that takes away a bit from the sicko sex slave images the show otherwise conjures up.
    I still think it's sick. The first thing we see is her mission as a "perfect date" where she sleeps with the guy, which makes the "actives" expensive hos, and then the substance of the main plot is child rape. I wanted to like this out of respect for Buffy and Firefly, but the subject matter was overly offensive.

I did like it and did not find it offensive at all. While I've never been much of an Eliza Dushku fan, I thought she did a good job. I see all sorts of story-telling possibilities in this premise. I'll be watching.

Another reason I hope this lasts is that I'm getting an impression from the latest Numb3rs episodes that they are heading towards a series finale. Since that was the only show I watch on Friday nights until Dollhouse, I hope at least one of them stays around, preferably both.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel;3322273;
    I did like it and did not find it offensive at all. While I've never been much of an Eliza Dushku fan, I thought she did a good job. I see all sorts of story-telling possibilities in this premise. I'll be watching.

Another reason I hope this lasts is that I'm getting an impression from the latest Numb3rs episodes that they are heading towards a series finale. Since that was the only show I watch on Friday nights until Dollhouse, I hope at least one of them stays around, preferably both.
    I like the fact that there could be endless stories featuring the use of "dolls"; although with this economy I wonder the number of wealthy individuals that afford them.
    I enjoyed the first episode, it didn't capture my attention the way that Lost first did, but I agree - for a Friday night with limited possibilities, this will be entertaining enough.
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

I was not that impressed. I thought the premise of the Dollhouse was to use the actives for important missions not as the perfect prostitute. The implication is that the actives are being lied to before they agree to becoming part of the Dollhouse. The second part of the story was more interesting. But I again was not that impressed with the FBI agents roll in this. On a sidebar I never notice that the one doctor was Fred. I will pay more attention next time.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

+ Reply to Thread