+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 46 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
Like Tree135Likes

Thread: The Mentalist

Re: The Mentalist

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie5632;3204601;
    I liked the premiere and the premise. I've never seen Psyche, so can't compare it. I am a fan of how they didn't focus in on what he saw, rather give the 'big picture' and let us see if we caught it too. Sure, we don't know things like Red John would have a chapter in that book, but in the beginning sequence it was interesting to look at the photos and see what we could get out of them before he told us.
    I like that as well. Have always enjoyed Monk because I liked resolving the crime on my own. I knew it was the doctor as soon as I saw him but I new that only from the show writer's/dramatic perspective, the show allows me to think it out as well. Granted I miss a lot, but it does make me focus more on details.

I have set my DVR to record it, we'll see if it stays - but I like all of the actors in it and can see how they make a good team.
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Finally had a chance to watch the first 15 min. when they did the rerun last night--had missed them the first time. Now it may be because my cable is giving me a very fuzzy picture on CBS these days, but I don't see how anyone could pick up what the clues are that the hero is using for the most part. For example...he says the dead guy is gay because he has a pedicure, but did they ever show us his feet? And did he ever say, in the show, that he guessed that because of the pedicure? I saw that explanation in the ads for the show (the one with the bruise on the abused wife, the lipstick on the collar of the cheating husband), but I don't think I saw it in the show. He just seemed to walk by the body and say, he's gay. And are we supposed to think he knew that the dad killed the daughter he'd been abusing and that the mom suspected it because of how uncomfortable the daughter and mom looked in various pictures? Were there other hints I missed? I either need a better picture (e.g., couldn't make out book titles) and/or a more spelled out explanation!

Quote Originally Posted by PWS;3206604;
    He just seemed to walk by the body and say, he's gay. And are we supposed to think he knew that the dad killed the daughter he'd been abusing and that the mom suspected it because of how uncomfortable the daughter and mom looked in various pictures? Were there other hints I missed? I either need a better picture (e.g., couldn't make out book titles) and/or a more spelled out explanation!
    I think he noticed the feet because they were exposed, not under the sheet. And then his partner (the doc) confirmed that he was in fact gay.

The husband and wife were giving a press conference around the time that the girl's body was carried out and the teen neighbor was being arrested. The body language of the father was the first hint that something was amiss. He held his wife's hand or arm and she backed away. Then he was forcibly holding onto her shoulder. She also had a look on her face as if to say, "Let go of me you creep!" It wasn't until he went into the house (and helped himself to making a sandwich!!!) that he noticed the pictures hanging up that indicated all was not well in that family.

I did get to watch it last night and I'll definitely be watching this one. I love that they don't throw the answers right at you, but rather let you discern what the character is getting.

I was only slightly familiar with Simon Baker's work, but I suspect he'll be on my list of actors to watch. Like Michael Emerson and Michael C Hall, he has the knack of making you sympathize with a basically unlikeable character. I've also like Robin Tunney's work in several things and it seems she and Simon will have very good acting chemistry between them.

That the doctor did it was pretty clear to me, too, but a large part of that was due to the part being played by Zeljko Ivanek. An guest actor of that calibre is going to be very important to the story.

Good show, so far. I'm eagerly looking forward to more.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

I caught the rerun of this show and wish I could watch it but I'm not home during it's regular time. But I found his mentalist stuff believable. People who do this sort of stuff in real life notice small changes in body language and environmental cues that most people don't. Chris Angel and many other magicians (and some "psychics") use this the same methods.

Quote Originally Posted by causingchaos;3206725;
    I caught the rerun of this show and wish I could watch it but I'm not home during it's regular time. But I found his mentalist stuff believable. People who do this sort of stuff in real life notice small changes in body language and environmental cues that most people don't. Chris Angel and many other magicians (and some "psychics") use this the same methods.
    I'm not sure if they'll do it for the whole season, but CBS has the premiere up on their site. Maybe it's just for the first episode, but you might want to check it out next week, just in case.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

CBS is good about putting their shows online. That's how I regularly watch a couple shows. I'll probably check it out when I have time.

Mullet/Summer Enthusiast AshleyPSU's Avatar

I love Simon Baker but I didn't care for the first episode of the show. I'm going to try it again this week though and see what happens!
    Wake up and be awesome

I stayed up past my bedtime to watch last night. Love Simon Baker, but the storylines aren't that compelling. I'll try finding it online another time because I need my sleep.
    Count your blessings!

FORT Fanatic

i gave it another go...didnt care for the episode/storyline also...WTF was that secret boyfriend split personality thing...thug out gangsta than next thing you know he was almost preaching about why was she with him good girl/bad boy thing then something about her disrespecting him and thats how blood was found on his truck. and i so figured out who the killers were....was so obvious who it was when they kept saying they were at the restaurant during that time...

but the only thing that kept me from changing stations was his damn smile. Hot Damn! that smile....
    not my frickin fault. fine, my fault, i always get blamed anyways.

+ Reply to Thread