+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 47 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast
Like Tree177Likes

Thread: The Mentalist

FORT Fogey

Re: The Mentalist

I apologize in advance for being so negative about the show this season--it was one of my top five faves last year.

I am a writer and ehre is what's wrong--as demonstrated by this week's show--is that there is a new/different writer who has no idea what made last year's shows special.

If you noticed this week there were a lot of silences and gaps between dialogue? Like when the killer was confessing--he woul sayaa sentence--and then pause....and then another sentence and then pause....this happened all during the show.

That slows the show down--the writer has no idea how to write the kind of snappy and humorous dialogue we saw in last week's repeat from last year. (And I suspect there was about half the lines of dialogue for this week's episode than there were for any of last year's eps.)

Also--this year the characters are all the same--they don't each have the clever quirks that the original writers utilized to make us look forward to seeing each of the characters.

If you listen to them talk you realize that each one could trade dialogue with any of the others (for the most part) and it wouldn't make any difference.

And--finally--poor Jane is being given NOTHING to do that has anything to do with his special skills/talents!

I feel so bad about how this show has changed. I don't know who the writers were last year--but they are obviously not the ones doing the scripts this year. (I suspect that the original writer(s) asked for more money per show for this year because of the show's success and they've been replaced with cheaper and hack-type writers)

And I suspect that the producer is new too. And they're ruining my fave show.

Bleeeh.

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Dancer;3740581;
    I apologize in advance for being so negative about the show this season--it was one of my top five faves last year.

I am a writer and ehre is what's wrong--as demonstrated by this week's show--is that there is a new/different writer who has no idea what made last year's shows special.

If you noticed this week there were a lot of silences and gaps between dialogue? Like when the killer was confessing--he woul sayaa sentence--and then pause....and then another sentence and then pause....this happened all during the show.

That slows the show down--the writer has no idea how to write the kind of snappy and humorous dialogue we saw in last week's repeat from last year. (And I suspect there was about half the lines of dialogue for this week's episode than there were for any of last year's eps.)

Also--this year the characters are all the same--they don't each have the clever quirks that the original writers utilized to make us look forward to seeing each of the characters.

If you listen to them talk you realize that each one could trade dialogue with any of the others (for the most part) and it wouldn't make any difference.

And--finally--poor Jane is being given NOTHING to do that has anything to do with his special skills/talents!

I feel so bad about how this show has changed. I don't know who the writers were last year--but they are obviously not the ones doing the scripts this year. (I suspect that the original writer(s) asked for more money per show for this year because of the show's success and they've been replaced with cheaper and hack-type writers)

And I suspect that the producer is new too. And they're ruining my fave show.

Bleeeh.
    I agree with everything you say. Didn't know why I thought this year was not as good as last, but now I see why. Good obervation!
    I only have a kitchen because it came with the house.

Did I hear this correctly in the preview for next week...did Lisbon's Captain say he's lost three people? I have heard/read one of the main characters is suppose to die (and thought it was going to be Grace tonight), but I haven't heard/read anything about three characters dieing and/or leaving. Yikes!!!

I just googled it to see what would pop up. Basically, The Mentalist will add another agent (Beth Scott will be the character's name) in 2010, but there's no confirmation that someone will leave to provide the opening, but does offer it as a suggestion.

Last night's show was ok.

Cho = Ernie.....LOL
    “No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible.” George Chakiris

Believe nothing that you hear and only half of what you see. :nono

I read in TV guide one of the major characters we "know and love" will die. Why??? If it really is someone we love, why kill them off? Of the top five, the only one I wouldn't terribly miss is, sad to say, Lisbon. And I don't see them letting her go. I love Cho, and Rigby and Van Pelt are adorable together. My 16 year old (who sometimes is freakishly on target about stuff) was watching with me the night Rigby and Van Pelt first kissed. He rarely watches, and had no clue someone is supposed to get killed off. He saw them kiss and said "Well, one of them is gonna die" His Spidey sense better be off on this one Bosco could certainly go though....but would they class him as someone we know and love?
    "With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world."
    Desiderata

"I lost my dignity on a slippery wiener."

It makes sense to me that if
    Click to see Spoiler:
    someone will die in the November 19th episode, that it would be either Van Pelt or Rigsby (hence the romance build up) and of the two - I could easily live without Van Pelt.

I don't feel that Van Pelt has ever really fit in with the group, yes, I am fond of her...... but her character which is meant to be a bit quirky, (I guess) to play off of Jane's "belief's" is a bit lifeless to me. She doesn't have a wide range of emotions...... IMO
    Katydyd I agree with your astute son.
    "My heart is, and always will be, yours." – Sense and Sensibility

Quote Originally Posted by Mike'sgirl;3749718;
    It makes sense to me that if
    Click to see Spoiler:
    someone will die in the November 19th episode, that it would be either Van Pelt or Rigsby (hence the romance build up) and of the two - I could easily live without Van Pelt.

I don't feel that Van Pelt has ever really fit in with the group, yes, I am fond of her...... but her character which is meant to be a bit quirky, (I guess) to play off of Jane's "belief's" is a bit lifeless to me. She doesn't have a wide range of emotions...... IMO
    Katydyd I agree with your astute son.
    Same here. I believe we will finally see/hear
    Click to see Spoiler:
    an admittance of love from VP to rigsby and she will kick it soon thereafter. I bet thats why she hasn't said those magical words yet, cause when she does (and we go "ohhh") that will trigger the big emotional scene where rigsby finally gets what he wants only to have it taken away.

I think you are right on in your character analysis...VP is supposed to be the quirky challenger to jane...but she just kinda comes off as stiff and one-dimensional.

In the previews, there were dead cops in the hallway of what looked like it could be a hospital, and the bloody smiley-face in a hospital room, so I immediately thought Red John got to Van Pelt recuping after being shot. Hope not, there's no one I want to be off'd.

Still LOVE this show. Starting to really like the new other leader. And the Burt and Ernie reference was great!
    "Quotes on the internet may not be accurate." - Abraham Lincoln

I agree with you folks about
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Van Pelt being the goner - to hook them up this early in the series means one of them has to leave and i'd rather see VP leave than Rigsby. Funny thing is I was thinking about who could replace her and came up empty handed, and decided if they killed off Lisbon (which they won't do) I'd love to see them replace her with Sarah Shahi (from the recently cancelled Life)
    “No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible.” George Chakiris

Believe nothing that you hear and only half of what you see. :nono

awww. I hope not. I like VP.
    No Rain - No Rainbows - Nextel commercial

+ Reply to Thread