+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 209 123456789101151101 ... LastLast
Like Tree213Likes

Thread: True Blood (HBO)

True Blood (HBO)

Thanks to a Japanese scientist's invention of synthetic blood, vampires have progressed from legendary monsters to fellow citizens overnight. And while humans have been safely removed from the menu, many remain apprehensive about these creatures "coming out of the coffin." Religious leaders and government officials around the world have chosen their sides, but in the small Louisiana town of Bon Temps, the jury is still out.

Local waitress Sookie Stackhouse (Anna Paquin), however, knows how it feels to be an outcast. "Cursed" with the ability to listen in on people's thoughts, she's also open-minded about the integration of vampires — particularly when it comes to Bill Compton (Stephen Moyer), a handsome 173-year-old living up the road. But as Sookie is drawn into a series of mysteries surrounding Bill's arrival in Bon Temps, that tolerance will be put to the test.

A sexy, scary new drama from 'Six Feet Under' creator Alan Ball, 'True Blood' delves into the meticulously-crafted world of novelist Charlaine Harris. Described by the Emmy®-winning Ball as "popcorn for smart people" and featuring a colorful cast of local misfits, 'True Blood' promises an intense ride.
    HBO: True Blood: About

I'm really excited about this one! Ever since Rome ended, I've been waiting for the next HBO series I can get addicted to. I think this is it! I saw a preview of the show today and didn't even recognize Anna Paquin at first. She really has grown up.

Anyone else going to be watching?
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

CCL

Re: True Blood (HBO)

Yes, me. Mike'sgirl and I have talked about this in the book adaptation thread in the Books forum. I haven't read the books myself but I think the series looks good/interesting. And I do like Anna Paquin. For Canadians, the show will be airing Sundays at 9 on TMN starting September 7.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

I'll definitely be watching. I've had Rome withdrawals, too, and have been waiting on this series to start ever since I saw the preview for it.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

Count me in!!! I really enjoyed the series (Sookie especially) and am wondering whether they will take the concept and run with it; or if they will mostly follow the first book "Dead Until Dark"?

Either way I am looking forward to it!

ETA: I just checked some of the preview/promo clips and it does appear to follow the first book - yay!
    Last edited by Mike'sgirl; 09-02-2008 at 12:21 AM.
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

Since I don't have HBO will there be downloads available??

I have listened to 2 of her Sookie books and they are not bad, it helps that the reader does a really subtle southern accent. Hope the show does well. It does seem as if the cable networks are trying to find niche audiences that will be incredibly loyal if they (the producers) do a series well unlike the networks who canceled Angel (which still had the legs for at least another year or two) and Invasion and lets not forget my favorite show to bash, Surface.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I'll be watching. I've kept my HBO going in hopes that Big Love would return but it hasn't. Boxing is not on very often anymore so this will help me justify having the darn pay channel!
    Yup, with donuts!!

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;3186794;
    I'll be watching. I've kept my HBO going in hopes that Big Love would return but it hasn't. Boxing is not on very often anymore so this will help me justify having the darn pay channel!
    We were thinking of dropping HBO or Starz since we rarely end up watching either much but when I heard about True Blood - I decided to keep it.

Bearcata - I don't know if it will be available for download but if I see or hear anything I will PM you.
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

Who is John Galt?

I am looking forward to this one. I love vampires and have watched every series they've had on TV - The Kindred, Blood Ties, etc. Hope this one makes it - most don't.

Does any one know what happened to Blood Ties? Is the series over?

CCL

^ According to imdb, Blood Ties has been cancelled.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

FORT Regular

I love the books, but we don't currently have HBO. I've actually considered adding HBO to our cable package just for this show. I have decided to wait and see the reviews of it and see how long it lasts before I go ahead and get HBO.

+ Reply to Thread