+ Reply to Thread
Page 84 of 216 FirstFirst ... 34747576777879808182838485868788899091929394134184 ... LastLast
Like Tree277Likes

Thread: True Blood (HBO)

Re: True Blood (HBO)

Season three begins in June 2010, (sorry I do not know the exact date), but we do have some time before then; and it will probably start on a Sunday, thereby narrowing the date to June: 6, 13, 20 or 27.

Alan Ball did an interview several months ago and explained that although the show is based on the books, it’s not a literal adaptation of it.
    “I think a book and a television show are two different mediums. I’m doing what I think is the best way to turn that story into a television show. Also, if I just stuck to the books, there would be no surprises. You could go pick up the books anywhere and know exactly what was coming. So personally, I don’t see any benefit of making a carbon copy of the books for TV.”
    With respect to artistic license, he said:
    “At the beginning of each season, we go through the books, pick out the points we really love, and pick out the points we think would make a great cliffhanger moment at the end of an episode. Then we start to wrap the other characters in… Then sometimes we’ll look at something that happens in the book, and we’ll say, “Maybe it might work better if we just change this.”
    Example: Bill staking Longfellow in the series instead of Eric in the book. As a result, we got a great Jessica storyline to follow.

Can't wait to see what they have in store for Season Three!
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

The name of episode one of season 3 is
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Pack of Wolves
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Kiz

oooh..thanks, Bearcata. Can't wait!
    You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style. ~Humbert

I have mixed feelings for this show since I've read some of Alan Ball's comments regarding season 3. Since Stephen Moyer and Anna are a real life couple that are not in favor of Eric action, I think we won't be seeing much...... if anything, I think Alan will be making Eric more of an antagonist. I have a feeling he will be made to look the opposite of book Eric. It is strange, because in the books the one thing Eric had going was his genuine interest, and constant attention to Sookie. I doubt that we will see that play out, but who knows...I would love to be wrong on that.
    Alan thinks that for every person wanting to see Eric/Sookie happy ever after, there are just as many (or more) wanting the true love story between Bill/Sookie to continue. He doesn't put much concern over Bill's little secret as to why he went to Bon Temps in the first place, and I think that will be low played.

My problem is that I find real life Stephen Moyer more attractive then "Bill", and just can't warm up to Bill or the way he is portrayed and looks. It doesn't help that Eric is HOT! But, making him more bad boy, and denying the side of Eric that has always been so charming to me, may be more then I can handle.

I still have it programmed on my DVR, but my enthusiasm is not as high this season. Still the third book was/is a fascinating one for me - so after it gets going I may be able to put aside my personal feelings and just enjoy it all play out.
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

Quote Originally Posted by Mike'sgirl;3849285;
    I have mixed feelings for this show since I've read some of Alan Ball's comments regarding season 3. Since Stephen Moyer and Anna are a real life couple that are not in favor of Eric action, I think we won't be seeing much...... if anything, I think Alan will be making Eric more of an antagonist. I have a feeling he will be made to look the opposite of book Eric. It is strange, because in the books the one thing Eric had going was his genuine interest, and constant attention to Sookie. I doubt that we will see that play out, but who knows...I would love to be wrong on that.
    Alan thinks that for every person wanting to see Eric/Sookie happy ever after, there are just as many (or more) wanting the true love story between Bill/Sookie to continue. He doesn't put much concern over Bill's little secret as to why he went to Bon Temps in the first place, and I think that will be low played.

My problem is that I find real life Stephen Moyer more attractive then "Bill", and just can't warm up to Bill or the way he is portrayed and looks. It doesn't help that Eric is HOT! But, making him more bad boy, and denying the side of Eric that has always been so charming to me, may be more then I can handle.

I still have it programmed on my DVR, but my enthusiasm is not as high this season. Still the third book was/is a fascinating one for me - so after it gets going I may be able to put aside my personal feelings and just enjoy it all play out.
    Since when have two actors who just happen to a couple on a show have the power to take it over and write stories. Alan is the boss, it's his show. Changing the books that much for the sake of a dewy eyed couple is unprofessional and a huge disservice to the fans of True Blood, and the fans of the book.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;3849384;
    Since when have two actors who just happen to a couple on a show have the power to take it over and write stories. Alan is the boss, it's his show. Changing the books that much for the sake of a dewy eyed couple is unprofessional and a huge disservice to the fans of True Blood, and the fans of the book.
    I agree, but he has the rights to he show and has mentioned several times he has no obligation to follow the books. He does seem to like the various intriguing plots, but does not have to follow the personal story line.

Here are some of the spoilers I've seen recently on season three and Eric:
    Click to see Spoiler:
    The Viking vamp was missing for the most part of the second season finale but Alan Ball tells Entertainment Weekly there's a reason why and assures fans that Eric will be a prominent character in season 3. And once he resurfaces, he'll be making lots of sexy time with tremendously hot and bold Yvetta, Fangtasia's new Czechoslovakian dancer. [Update] Natasha Alam has been cast as Eric's new love toy.

It has also been revealed that part of Eric's storyline this season involves a revenge plot.

Ever since Queen Sophie-Anne graced the second season of True Blood, Bill and Sookie fans have been haunted with a theory from the Charlaine Harris books that would certainly destroy their favorite vampire-human couple: that Bill is working for the Queen and he came to Bon Temps to seduce Sookie with ulterior motives. It's certainly an issue that would divide True Blood fans as this will push Sookie right into the arms of Eric, and while series creator Alan Ball hasn't really followed the novels to the letter, he isn't completely shutting out the idea either.

"It's certainly something that I found really compelling in the books," Ball told Entertainment Weekly's Michael Ausiello of Bill's deep dark secret. "I was like, 'Wow.' But I can't really tell you what I'm going to do story-wise. So much of the appeal of the show depends on the element of surprise."

"I try to stay out of how the fans are responding to the show," he added. "I have to tell the story that I think is the most interesting story. Certainly, the main ingredient in drama is conflict and revelations. For every person who loves Bill and wants him and Sookie to just be in love always, there's another person who's like, 'I'm sick of Bill. He's such a wuss. I like Eric. He's dangerous.' Especially when you're working on a show like this with the kind of palette and the colors you use; you want it to be continually surprising and shocking. Not for the sake of being shocking, but that's part of the fun."

As for Moyer and Pacquin - I read last year how difficult it was for Stephen to watch Anna do those scenes and he was pushing for as few of them as possible. The fact that Stephen and Anna have a close relationship with Alan must have some influence. Also, Alan is NOT one to listen to fans, or work scripts around fan favor - he puts his creativity first and I appreciate and respect that. He is a genius with his shows, so it remains to be seen how closely he will follow the Sookie/Eric romance. I am not feeling a strong inclination, but as I said - I hope I am wrong!!!
    Christopher Reeve

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Jeesh---"difficult for him to watch"? He's an actor, for crying out loud, and so is she! What the heck, is he 16? He can't handle what every spouse/significant other of an actor has to handle? Zero sympathy. Especially if that is a reason the show veers far from the books. I, too, feel that Eric's continual interest in Sookie is one of his more endearing traits...otherwise he's just a goodlooking bully of other vamps.
    Anna should put her foot down. Does he want her never to play a love scene again? He'll ruin her career.

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

Mike's Girl, Bearcata, and PWS, I'm right there with you all! IF they cut Eric's storyline with Sookie b/c S.M. can't handle the scenes then I say they find themselves a new Bill! I could take or leave S.M. -- he's too wimpy looking for me. Give me hot and steamy A.S. any day!! And, sorry, Eric having a relationship with one of his dancers won't cut it for me (it might lessen it though-LOL!) The sexual tension between Eric & Sookie is palpable...they'd be crazy not to capitalize on it.

IF Ball wants to have some surprises, then have Bill turn out even more evil and more involved with the Queen than C.H. had him. But don't touch Eric and his storyline!!

Oh, and I can't wait to see the first episode based on its title--I LOVE Alcide too!!
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

Alan is a free thinker and enjoys mixing it up, I am sure the show will be entertaining regardless.
    But I remember way back when the show started, reading a comment that AB made, and he said that he would probably veer away from the books by the 4 season. I thought hmmmm, wasn't that when they really started getting good, heating up between Sookie and Eric? Darn!

I loved it when Eric paved Sookie's driveway, just because it was a mess and he knew she didn't have the money to pay for it. He surprised her with it. On TB, Sookie negotiated the money so that she could pay for it herself. The point is, they took a sweet, romantic gesture away from Eric, and continue to make him more and more of a bad boy. They tone down his charm.

I just hope that Charlaine Harris doesn't get any ideas, and change her stories to fit in more with TB... I love where the books are currently headed!
    Christopher Reeve

I checked out of the show after season 1. I enjoy the books a lot and only watched the show because of the books. But I have no intention of watching season 2 or subsequent seasons because of reading about the episodes here and elsewhere. The show as a stand alone entity doesn't interest me. I enjoy the story line in the books and don't need an entirely different fan fic version of the books to watch on tv.

+ Reply to Thread