+ Reply to Thread
Page 74 of 216 FirstFirst ... 24646566676869707172737475767778798081828384124174 ... LastLast
Like Tree277Likes

Thread: True Blood (HBO)

Re: True Blood (HBO)

If Sookie doesn't evolve past this relationship with Bill there will really be no reason for me to continue watching the show. It's not that people so much love Sookie/Eric they love her evolution as a woman and Eric was an important part of that. After the great betrayal Bill becomes an after thought in the books and she goes on and through various relationships and life changing events.

Like I said like 100 times before here. I can understand changing parts of the story to make it more conducive to TV. I get that. I even get changing some of the more minor story lines (Lafayette etc.). But to change major story lines is just not my thing. More than anything it demonstrates a marked lack of creativity to not be able to come up with original character so he's just ripping off some characters and using them in his own story while ripping off bits and pieces of a story he finds interesting which I don't think is that great. And I know that's kind of a harsh representation and that Charlaine basically said fine and dandy to this whole thing but that's just how I feel about it. And as for her putting her stamp of approval on whatever he does, no writer who writes the sort of stories she does will ever turn down any TV or movie deal regardless of what happens to the story. It's self preservation.

I also know that Alan is a creative person so I'm more disappointed in him not doing something with it instead of taking the easy way out.

I'm glad Alan is at the helm here, he is creativity personified.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

I'd believe he was creativity personified if he wasn't basically ripping off some elses characters and just using them however he wants to. If he wanted to do a vampire show and not have a book as a guide he should have used that creativity and made one up.

Quote Originally Posted by causingchaos;3702349;
    I'd believe he was creativity personified if he wasn't basically ripping off some elses characters and just using them however he wants to. If he wanted to do a vampire show and not have a book as a guide he should have used that creativity and made one up.
    He is not ripping Charlaine Harris's characters off. Alan Bell bought the rights to Charlaine's characters and to portray them in another medium. He is bringing life to other secondary characters and is expanding the world of the "Southern Vampire". Without Alan Bell's creativity this show would not be the hit it is. More people are reading Charlaine's books now then before the show.

There has been and always will be a big discrepancy between a story portrayed on film vs the written word. On film we are seeing a particular person's vision of the story while reading a book we see the story in our mind's eye through our experiences of the world. I am sure my version of Sookie's world does not look like your version of Sookie's world. The best way to enjoy both the books and film is to just let go and enjoy the ride.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I'm sure there are differences in the worlds. And as I stated before I have no problems with him taking some liberties with secondary story lines and less plot issues like Maryann. Whatever. I don't care but when he will blatantly blow off in an interview blow off major story lines that change the outcome of the story he is essentially just ripping off/using someone else characters to fill in some random story line he has in his head. I respect him less as an artist for doing that than if he would have just created his own characters to live out whatever plot is in his head.

I would respect him more if he injected his creativity into the minor story lines as he has done in the past season and change the perspective but not major plot lines. That's a big difference to me.

Anyone can buy someone elses characters and you'll be hard pressed to find an author that won't sell them, but it doesn't mean I respect the people that do that or tout them as some creative genius. I see it as taking an very easy way out which requires little work adn comes with a built in audience who he risks alienating should he move forward with changing major plots and story lines.

Quote Originally Posted by causingchaos;3702477;
    I'm sure there are differences in the worlds. And as I stated before I have no problems with him taking some liberties with secondary story lines and less plot issues like Maryann. Whatever. I don't care but when he will blatantly blow off in an interview blow off major story lines that change the outcome of the story he is essentially just ripping off/using someone else characters to fill in some random story line he has in his head. I respect him less as an artist for doing that than if he would have just created his own characters to live out whatever plot is in his head.

I would respect him more if he injected his creativity into the minor story lines as he has done in the past season and change the perspective but not major plot lines. That's a big difference to me.

Anyone can buy someone elses characters and you'll be hard pressed to find an author that won't sell them, but it doesn't mean I respect the people that do that or tout them as some creative genius. I see it as taking an very easy way out which requires little work adn comes with a built in audience who he risks alienating should he move forward with changing major plots and story lines.
    Translating a story from the written word to film is incredibly hard. Jean Auel's Clan of the Cave Bear is a sheer disaster as a film and a beautiful book. The most recent version of C S Forester's Horatio Hornblower starting Ioan Gruffudd as Horatio Hornblower was brilliant, bringing the books and period to life. I have also read the books the first two Die Hard movies are based on and what is amazing is that the films are better.

While I had read and listened to some of the "The Southern Vampire" books before True Blood aired, curiosity about the series compelled me to finish the book series to see what the buzz was about the TV series. Initially, I had a similar reaction as you comparing the two mediums and why was Alan not doing what was in the books. But I stopped doing that because it was driving me nuts. Watching the series has made me a bigger fan of the books. I enjoy both and think that my experience in Charlaine Harris's world is richer because of it.
    Last edited by Bearcata; 09-15-2009 at 10:45 PM.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;3702682;
    Translating a story from the written word to film is incredibly hard. Jean Auel's Clan of the Cave Bear is a sheer disaster as a film and a beautiful book. The most recent version of C S Forester's Horatio Hornblower starting Ioan Gruffudd as Horatio Hornblower was brilliant, bringing the books and period to life. I have also read the books the first two Die Hard movies are based on and what is amazing is that the films are better.

While I had read and listened to some of the "The Southern Vampire" books before True Blood aired, curiosity about the series compelled me to finish the book series to see what the buzz was about the TV series. Initially, I had a similar reaction as you comparing the two mediums and why was Alan not doing what was in the books. But I stopped doing that because it was driving me nuts. Watching the series has made me a bigger fan of the books. I enjoy both and think that my experience in Charlaine Harris's world is richer because of it.
    The Wizard of Oz is a perfect example of how one can take an amazing book and change major things yet still keep the magic of the original book. Major elements were changed in making it a film, like changing the silver slippers to the now classic ruby color. I will admit, I saw the movie before I ever read the book and still, I am just as huge of a fan of the book as I am the movie.

Bercata is right. Charlane Harris sold the rights and gave her blessing to Alan Ball. What would be the point in making a television series exactly the same as the books? What kind of shock and surprise would you be in for then?

Re: True Blood (HBO) - Possible Spoiler

From Ausiello:

In what would be a boon to Sookie-Eric fans, True Blood boss Alan Ball isnt ruling out incorporating a major (and controversial) plot point from the books that, up to now, has only been hinted at in the series (spoiler alert):
    Click to see Spoiler:
    That Bill came to Bon Temps and seduced Sookie with the ulterior motive of getting her to work for Queen Sophie-Anne.

Its certainly something that I found really compelling in the books, says Ball of Bills deep dark secret. I was like, Wow. But I cant really tell you what Im going to do story-wise. So much of the appeal of the show depends on the element of surprise.

Bill-Sookie shippers are no doubt hoping Ball opts not to go there. In addition to driving a stake through the heart of their favorite couple, it could push Sookie into the arms of Eric.

I try to stay out of how the fans are responding to the show, says Ball. I have to tell the story that I think is the most interesting story. Certainly, the main ingredient in drama is conflict and revelations. For every person who loves Bill and wants him and Sookie to just be in love always, theres another person whos like, Im sick of Bill. Hes such a wuss. I like Eric. Hes dangerous. Especially when youre working on a show like this with the kind of palette and the colors you use; you want it to be continually surprising and shocking. Not for the sake of being shocking, but thats part of the fun.

Kiz

Quote Originally Posted by Max Smart;3703967;
    From Ausiello:

In what would be a boon to Sookie-Eric fans, True Blood boss Alan Ball isnt ruling out incorporating a major (and controversial) plot point from the books that, up to now, has only been hinted at in the series (spoiler alert):
    Click to see Spoiler:
    That Bill came to Bon Temps and seduced Sookie with the ulterior motive of getting her to work for Queen Sophie-Anne.

Its certainly something that I found really compelling in the books, says Ball of Bills deep dark secret. I was like, Wow. But I cant really tell you what Im going to do story-wise. So much of the appeal of the show depends on the element of surprise.

Bill-Sookie shippers are no doubt hoping Ball opts not to go there. In addition to driving a stake through the heart of their favorite couple, it could push Sookie into the arms of Eric.

I try to stay out of how the fans are responding to the show, says Ball. I have to tell the story that I think is the most interesting story. Certainly, the main ingredient in drama is conflict and revelations. For every person who loves Bill and wants him and Sookie to just be in love always, theres another person whos like, Im sick of Bill. Hes such a wuss. I like Eric. Hes dangerous. Especially when youre working on a show like this with the kind of palette and the colors you use; you want it to be continually surprising and shocking. Not for the sake of being shocking, but thats part of the fun.

I love Bill and Sookie together, but your spoiler (above) part of the book storyline is something I hope is incorporated into the series.

A major obstacle in a relationship that is overcome can show whether there was something of substance in the first place plus it makes for good drama. I think it would be cool to see that addressed, and as a Bill/Sookie "worshiper" (lol), I'd love to see them get past it, of course. However, on the show, Bill has proposed to Sookie, and his love for her is palpable, so I don't know that it would have as great of impact as it did in the books.
    You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style. ~Humbert

Quote Originally Posted by Kiz;3703983;
    I love Bill and Sookie together, but your spoiler (above) part of the book storyline is something I hope is incorporated into the series.

A major obstacle in a relationship that is overcome can show whether there was something of substance in the first place plus it makes for good drama. I think it would be cool to see that addressed, and as a Bill/Sookie "worshiper" (lol), I'd love to see them get past it, of course. However, on the show, Bill has proposed to Sookie, and his love for her is palpable, so I don't know that it would have as great of impact as it did in the books.
    I was kinda hoping that Alan Ball would consider incorporating said storyline. Part of what makes a great romance is the trials and tribulations it goes through. Its part of fictional romance IMHO. I am a total Sookie/Bill worshipper in the context of the tv series but things need shaken up a little bit more.

+ Reply to Thread