+ Reply to Thread
Page 71 of 216 FirstFirst ... 21616263646566676869707172737475767778798081121171 ... LastLast
Like Tree277Likes

Thread: True Blood (HBO)

Re: True Blood (HBO)

Another spoiler bit from the Facebook group...

Click to see Spoiler:
    From the finale...who said it?

1: "You could be my social, physical, or intellectual inferior, but your chances are equal to mine. It's the perfect antidote to this world, where things such as superiority and inferiority do matter."

2: "Just get me in close with that bitch and I will take her down like a house of cards."

3: "I wanted to thank you for trusting me with your life. That couldn't have been easy."

Just a little something to keep us busy until Sunday.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

There's a really terrific interview with Alan Ball here: Alan Ball of True Blood: The TV Squad Interview - full transcript - TV Squad

He discusses his reasons for not following the plot of the books exactly, the process of creating the show and some sneak peaks at season three (beware to those who want to stay spoiler-free!).

One of my favorite parts of the interview:
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Will she [Maryann]be in season three?

Maryann is not going to be in season three.

Also, we'll be seeing Alcide (although AB doesn't mention him by name), Debbie Pelt and Franklin Mott. Plus, it looks like Bill will disappear, although who knows if AB will follow Book 3 as closely as many of us would like in that area.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Thanks so much Critical!!!!! I really enjoyed it.

Personally, I disliked the wig on Eric in first season, and was so glad AB gave him the shorter look for season 2.

Loved the comment by Alan regarding casting:
    "I'd read six books of Charlaine's that made it pretty clear who the characters were. For me, what's most important is finding the person who can inhabit that role spiritually, personality wise, and who fulfills the essence of the character, as opposed to whether they're a complete match for how the character is described in the books."
    (I think you did a fantastic job on casting Alan!)

The article reminded me of characters I had forgotten about that appear in season 3. Might have to reread Club Dead before season 3 starts.
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

I thought that article was very encouraging for fans of the books. No, he may not stick exactly to the books, but I think he's seen that the fans aren't happy when he goes FAR from them either. He seemed surprised by the fans' reactions to the Maryann storyline, but I don't know why he would be. That storyline takes the focus away from the main characters and that's never good. The maenad storyline was very small in the book and it's taken over much of season 2. The thing that makes me happy is that it's clear that AB is a fan of the books.

I hated the wig too. Even though Eric has long, flowing hair in the books, the short 'do is much sexier on Alex. I think AB has done a great job (for the most part) casting the show, even though most don't look like the characters are described by Charlaine.

I don't know how you can read JUST book 3. I'll have to read the entire series again at least once before book 10 comes out!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I'm not sure why he was surprised by the lack of love for the Maryann storyline either. I'm sure she is a great actress but he took what was a simple plot device to get us from point A to point B and made it into something bigger than it should have been. I don't mind him tweeking the storylines here and there to make for good TV but changing entire outcomes is what I have a problem with.

I think his casting embraced "who can inhabit that role spiritually, personality wise, and who fulfills the essence of the character" as they emerge and develop all through the books. Not just the way a character appears in the beginning. He grabbed their developed essence. I already see touches of Jason in the last book emerging onscreen. He went through a lot of development in the books and at times, I disliked him very much and was annoyed Sookie was stuck with such a loser for a brother. But, toward the end of that last book - he was different and I could see a bit of the lovable Jason there from TB.

Perhaps, though it was me softening because I enjoy TB Jason so much......

I don't mind Alan changing the outcomes.... I love Lafayette not dying! He was one of my favorite characters in book one, (was always kind and sympathetic to Sookie) so I was disappointed when he was killed off in the book. I think Alan tries to keep the (books 1-9)development of Sookie though her experiences intact, and stretches the details of life around her. It is like an alternate version, and I enjoy the twists. Sort of like a chance for life do-overs. Besides that, I also enjoy a fresh element of surprise that Alan brings out for my enjoyment.
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

PWS
    FORT Fogey

I note he says he read 6 books....I hope he's read the later ones since!

Quote Originally Posted by PWS;3699225;
    I note he says he read 6 books....I hope he's read the later ones since!
    I think he said he'd read six before he started the first season of the show. I'd be surprised if he hasn't read the others since then.

Kiz

For the Alexander Skarsgard fans ...

...There are thousands, maybe millions, of women out there who are smitten with Alex (as I like to call him). He also charms the pants off men, like his costar Nelsan Ellis. "He's very humble, extremely talented, and so freaking Mount Olympus good-looking that sometimes I just want to be him," says Ellis, who plays another True Blood fan favorite, Lafayette, a gay, cross-dressing, short-order cook. "But, I want to say, 'Brother, please don't stand next to me.' " In that case, Alex, could you stand next to me instead?

Skarsgard's take on Eric is a little bit Gordon Gekko from Wall Street (he's so mean) mixed with a little Mr. Darcy (he's so misunderstood). His character lurked in the shadows in season one—"I was a glorified extra," he says—but he's quickly become a pivotal part of the show. Eric is the hunk trying to woo away Sookie (Paquin) from her vampiric main squeeze (Stephen Moyer), in a love triangle inspired by the Charlaine Harris books, that could get extra heated in the show's season finale this weekend. As True Blood has become HBO's biggest hit since The Sopranos, averaging about 5 million viewers a week, Skarsgard is the vampire of the hour. Paquin might have won the Golden Globe, but Skarsgard won over the blogosphere. "The real truth is, I was in Europe when season two started, and I had no idea how big the thing had gotten," Skarsgard says. "I landed in L.A., went to Comic-Con and it was absolutely crazy."...
    As a bonus, there's a nice video interview with Ryan Kwanten (Jason).

Alexander Skarsgard: 'True Blood's Hottest Vampire | Newsweek Culture | Newsweek.com
    You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style. ~Humbert

Kiz

EW interview with Kristin Bauer, Pam. Minor spoilers throughout the article. Some great behind the scenes info too.

Click to see Spoiler:
    SPOILER ALERT! Pam will not get to avenge those great Betsey Johnson pumps she ruined tracking the creature that turned out to be meanad Maryann in Sunday night’s season finale of “True Blood” (HBO, 9 p.m. ET).

Pam won’t even be in the episode because apparently, vampires don’t know how to close a bar for the night. It’s a wrong that can only be righted by Kristin Bauer...

Q&A: ‘True Blood’s’ Pam on meeting her maker- msnbc.com
    You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style. ~Humbert

+ Reply to Thread