+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 216 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161757107 ... LastLast
Like Tree277Likes

Thread: True Blood (HBO)

Re: True Blood (HBO)

Glad I came in to read this thread. Mr. Melitta and I have been watching this show and really like it. I kept asking hubby, "what is up with the dog?" Especially after seeing the painting in Sam's office. Mr. Melitta told me what he thought about the dog and from what ya'll are saying, he guessed right.
    Play by the rules, you will miss all the fun!
    Toby Keith, Jacky Don Tucker

I like the way they have enlarged the roles of Tara and her cousin LaFayette in the series. In the first book, Tara did not have the significant role they are portraying for her in the series; the close friendship between Tara and Sookie is renewed in book 1, but actually grows in each book after. In Dead Until Dark
    Click to see Spoiler:
    even though they were close friends in childhood, I got the impression they had drifted apart slightly as adults; while Arlene was Sookie's closest friend in Book 1, she and Sookie seem to be not as close in this first season of the TB series.

Alan Ball has distilled the relationships & character developments portrayed in the books so that the essence of the characters is apparent to us right from the start - which I like very much. But, he is also slightly changing some storylines, because I do not remember that whole Tara/Sam thing ever taking place, but it could be just a lapse of memory on my part. Anyone recently read Book 1? I don't mind it, but it might interfere with later character/plot resolutions.

IMO this is a very clear, crisp, powerful portrayal of the first book in the Sookie series....... makes me really want to watch 8 more seasons of True Blood! Or, reread the 8 current books in the series.
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

I just picked up the first book of the series and cannot wait to start reading! This show must be very popular because almost all of the paperback issues of the first book were sold out. I nearly had to pay $24 for the hard cover!
    Yup, with donuts!!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I was almost caught up on the HBO episodes......and I managed to, somehow, erase episode 5, so I'm in a holding pattern until Thursday night when they mini-marathon episodes 4, 5, and 6. Pluck My Eyeballs Out For Doing Something So Stupid!!!

The last thing I saw that made my eyes bug out......Sam going into the dead woman's apartment and sniffing and rolling around in her bed sheets!!! FREAK!!! He reminded me of my cat rolling around in the dirty clothes from the laundry basket.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Does Bill know
    Click to see Spoiler:
    who the dog is? Last night the dog
    came up while he was standing outside of Sookie's house drinking his blood and he just glanced down at him and went back to staring at the house.
    Last edited by buglover; 10-13-2008 at 12:42 PM.
    Yup, with donuts!!

Who is John Galt?

I have never read the books, but love the show. While I like Sam, he's not for Sookie. Bill is her perfect match. Of course, him being a Vampire is a real problem. But their chemistry together is volatile and they are more alike - both are gentle souls caught in a circumstance not of their making, but both are trying to come to grips with who and what they are, so they can relate to one another better than they can with others. I've heard the rumor that the characters have moved their romantic relationship from reel life to real life. Neither are confirming nor denying.

This week's episode was definitely the best yet. The tragedy of Gran's murder, Sookie's anger at the funeral, mixed with all that sex! Plus, we finally got to see Bill and Sookie consummate their relationship. Oh my! I wouldn't be surprised to hear that they're dating IRL: they definitely have chemistry!

I wanted to smack every one of those people at the funeral who were looking and Sookie and blaming her. There's no way a vampire killed those people. Like Bill told the police, a vamp would have drained them dry. I kept looking at the people around town and trying to figure out which one of them is the murderer.

The scene where Sookie sat at the kitchen table eating her grandmother's pecan pie and crying was so powerful. You could just imagine the things she was thinking. It was so poignant. I cried right along with her.

I'm not sure if Bill knows that
    Click to see Spoiler:
    the dog isn't just a dog. I got the feeling that he did.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I've not seen the most recent episode, because I refuse to watch it until I see #5, but that dog is definitely "telepathically" tied into somebody.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I agree about the scene with the pie! That was the first time I have found "Sookie"'s acting to be believable. Not only was it that, it was MOVING. I cried big time

I had to wonder if I would have cried so hard if our Mia hadn't just died last month.
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetNerd;3217038;
    I agree about the scene with the pie! That was the first time I have found "Sookie"'s acting to be believable. Not only was it that, it was MOVING. I cried big time

I had to wonder if I would have cried so hard if our Mia hadn't just died last month.
    My grandmother died over 20 years ago and the scene had me bawling. I could imagine her thinking about her grandmother baking the pie and how she would never taste her grandmother's cooking again as she sat in the kitchen where her grandmother had probably cooked her hundreds of meals before. The pie was still fresh and yet her grandmother was gone. I imagined Sookie blaming herself and feeling that ache of losing the only real mother she ever had. Damn, there I go making myself cry again!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread