+ Reply to Thread
Page 58 of 216 FirstFirst ... 8484950515253545556575859606162636465666768108158 ... LastLast
Like Tree277Likes

Thread: True Blood (HBO)

Re: True Blood (HBO)

Quote Originally Posted by JavaJo;3672639;
    I don't mind Pam being older on the show than she is in the books. Her personality doesn't mesh with her being a teenager in the book. I always pictured her as older, even though I know she isn't. And sophisticated and I'm not sure a teenage actress could really pull that one off. There are too many teenage vamps in the book, so I dont' mind Alan's change. Queen Sophie and her sidekick are teenagers, as well. I have showtime, but not HBO, but I've read all the books and watched the first season. I depend on the net to keep me updated on what's going on...lol. So, thanks guys!
    That's kind of what I meant. For me, Kristin Bauer looks like I imagined Pam would look. Now, do I think they are styling Pam the way I imagined? No! The Pam on the show is way too "80's rocker chick." Like I said upthread, I want the pastel twin sets/penny loafer wearing Pam! She's one of my favorite characters in the book and I love her friendship with Sookie. I hope AB brings that out more as the show progresses.

Really, I can hardly think of a character in the book whose TV show counterpart is exactly the same. Maybe Arlene.

There's something that kind of bothered me about the last episode. In the book, Bill takes off after the humans following the shooting (bombing in the show) without a backward glance. On the show, Eric tells Bill to go. Big difference. In the book, we get the first taste of Bill's wandering tendencies, while Eric is the one who sticks around. Sorry, just the nitpicking of an Eric fan
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3672692;
    There's something that kind of bothered me about the last episode. In the book, Bill takes off after the humans following the shooting (bombing in the show) without a backward glance. On the show, Eric tells Bill to go. Big difference. In the book, we get the first taste of Bill's wandering tendencies, while Eric is the one who sticks around. Sorry, just the nitpicking of an Eric fan
    Yup, HUGE difference. And from the books, it seems like Bill was gone for a decent length of time, not just minutes like it appeared in the show.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3672692;
    That's kind of what I meant. For me, Kristin Bauer looks like I imagined Pam would look. Now, do I think they are styling Pam the way I imagined? No! The Pam on the show is way too "80's rocker chick." Like I said upthread, I want the pastel twin sets/penny loafer wearing Pam! She's one of my favorite characters in the book and I love her friendship with Sookie. I hope AB brings that out more as the show progresses.
    No, I agree. I love Pam in the books and her style. I think Kristin has the demeanor right, though. In my opinion, she nails it. They just need to fix her wardrobe..lol. And you can all add me to the Eric love train.

Kiz

I love the True Blood Hoyt. The book Hoyt is more *eh*. He's such a sweetie pie and cute as a button to boot.
    You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style. ~Humbert

Quote Originally Posted by liz_momof2;3672936;
    Yup, HUGE difference. And from the books, it seems like Bill was gone for a decent length of time, not just minutes like it appeared in the show.
    Really in books after the big secret gets out Bill really isn't that big of a character anymore. They're going to have to dramatically change story lines to keep him as a big character which seems to be the intention... So I don't know. I'm a little disappointed in that. I don't care about changes to make it flow a little better but jacking with entire plots and outcomes kind of bothers me. I mean why even bother attempting to base it on the books at that point?

Quote Originally Posted by causingchaos;3673386;
    Really in books after the big secret gets out Bill really isn't that big of a character anymore. They're going to have to dramatically change story lines to keep him as a big character which seems to be the intention... So I don't know. I'm a little disappointed in that. I don't care about changes to make it flow a little better but jacking with entire plots and outcomes kind of bothers me. I mean why even bother attempting to base it on the books at that point?
    Me too. If it changes that much, it would merely be loosely based with some of the same characters.

Quote Originally Posted by JavaJo;3673090;
    No, I agree. I love Pam in the books and her style. I think Kristin has the demeanor right, though. In my opinion, she nails it. They just need to fix her wardrobe..lol. And you can all add me to the Eric love train.
    It's the same for me, my image of book Pam is very different from TB Pam; however her portrayal is spot on (IMO). I also can't wait for Pam and Sookie to be good friends. I don't remember when it started in the books but I look forward to seeing it on TB.

For me, Sam and Arlene are very much as I imagined them. But, as a whole I think casting did a great job, and I don't mind restructuring some of the books visuals on these characters. Bill (TB) is not as handsome as my impression of book Bill, but Eric is great!!! (Although I do think that Stephen Moyer is handsome, just not as TB Bill.) I have no idea why that is, but his natural appearance is much more attractive to me.
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

Quote Originally Posted by Mike'sgirl;3673508;
    For me, Sam and Arlene are very much as I imagined them. But, as a whole I think casting did a great job, and I don't mind restructuring some of the books visuals on these characters. Bill (TB) is not as handsome as my impression of book Bill, but Eric is great!!! (Although I do think that Stephen Moyer is handsome, just not as TB Bill.) I have no idea why that is, but his natural appearance is much more attractive to me.
    I feel the same way about Stephen vs. Bill. Maybe it's the makeup and that awful hair. Plus, Stephen has that cute British accent

In the books, Sam is a strawberry blond and she always talks about his blond lashes and wild, curly hair. I love Sam Trammel, but he's not who I pictured when I read the book. Really though, I find Sam Trammel much better looking than the description of him in the book, so I'm not going to complain!

Although none of the actors completely match their characters as written, I think AB has done a great job casting the show. Seriously, any man who brings me Alex Skarsgard every week is okay by me!

I agree that Hoyt on the show is much more appealing. Really though, AB has much more freedom to give so many of the books' supporting characters more life on the show, since we're not just seeing Sookie's perspective, as we do in the books. I loved the line last week when Mrs. Fortenberry said something like "But you're my son." and Hoyt said "I'm not yours mama, I'm mine."

FYI - HBO has a new clip from Sunday's episode up on their site. There's also a link to it on the official Facebook.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

HBO has released the official synopsis for the season finale:
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Bon Temps reaches a fever pitch as Maryann prepares for her ultimate bestial sacrifice, conscripting Sookie to be Maid of Honor at the bloody nuptials. Meanwhile, Sophie-Anne warns Eric to keep the lid on Billís inquisitiveness; Jason leads Andy into the heroic abyss; and Hoyt struggles with Maxineís endless stream of insults. Deliberating on what may be his final move to save Sookie and the town, Sam places his trust, and his life, in a most unlikely ally.

I'm hoping that
    Click to see Spoiler:
    the unlikely ally Sam turns to is Eric! I was really hoping the finale wouldn't have so much to do with MaryAnn. With any luck, she'll be dealt with for good and we won't have to suffer through more of that storyline next season!

Less than 2 hours until the next episode. I'll admit it - I'm obsessed

Okay, that episode was WAY too short and there wasn't nearly enough Eric in it, although that first scene was HOT!

I loved all the stuff with Sam, Andy and Jason. Jason as "God" on top of the car was hilarious! Of course he doesn't know what "smite" means. Andy giving Jason "horns" after Terry questions whether it's really God....

Second sexiest character on True Blood: Jason's arms Good Lord, I've missed seeing him with less clothing on! That was another reason to hate the FoTS storyline!

Well, based on the previews, it looks like I was right and
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Sam does team up with Eric! LOVED the red jumpsuit Pam is wearing. I saw a still of that scene and was looking forward to some more Pam - love her.

I was looking at some stills on imdb and the third vamp who fed on Lafayette in Eric's office early this season was supposed to be Chow Talk about ignoring the description in the book. I was looking forward to seeing who AB would cast - I didn't realize he'd already done it. Total missed opportunity to get a really hot Asian guy in the bar. On another casting note, does anyone know if they've cast Andre yet? Since Sophie-Ann is already here, he shouldn't be too far behind!

ETA (so I don't post FOUR times in a row = ) I found a casting spoiler:
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Not only with Sophie-Ann be in the last 2 episodes, so will Sookie's cousin Hadley! They've cast Lindsey Haun to play Hadley and the post I read had stuff from her MySpace. She said she worked with Stephen, Alex and Evan Rachel Wood and loved it. I thought that was good casting - she and Anna share a resemblance.

Oh and WAH! Only 2 more episodes
    Last edited by Critical; 08-23-2009 at 10:26 PM.

+ Reply to Thread