+ Reply to Thread
Page 57 of 216 FirstFirst ... 7474849505152535455565758596061626364656667107157 ... LastLast
Like Tree277Likes

Thread: True Blood (HBO)

Re: True Blood (HBO)

Quote Originally Posted by oneTVslave;3667833;
    Hello all - first let me say that I love reading what those of you who have read the books have to add to the conversation about this series. It is definitely adding to my enjoyment/understanding of the show. And, you've got me wanting to read the books. I've put myself on the list for the first book at the library.

Secondly, I'd like to apply for membership in the Eric fan club. Hot. Hot. HOT. *swoons*

I have a question: what authority did the vampire spokeswoman lady (Nan?) have over Godric? Eric was saying she didn't have the authority, but Godric acted as if he had to listen to her (although it seemed that choosing to meet the sun was his own choice). Can anyone add any insight to this?
    Woo hoo woo hoo, another Eric fan club member!! I am a die hard Eric/Sookie-shipper and any issues/questions I had about Alex and Anna's chemistry was resolved this past Sunday night. Now let's just hope that Anna and Stephen's off-screen relationship doesn't put a damper on the Eric/Sookie/Bill triangle!

Kiz

I have a question: what authority did the vampire spokeswoman lady (Nan?) have over Godric? Eric was saying she didn't have the authority, but Godric acted as if he had to listen to her (although it seemed that choosing to meet the sun was his own choice). Can anyone add any insight to this?
    I also wondered the same thing. She's a nat'l spokesperson for the vampires, so maybe there's a nat'l hierarchy that the local and state vamps answer to and she's part of the larger authority, although that wouldn't answer as to why Eric said Godrick didn't have to listen to her. It wasn't very clear to me either. It seemed sort of like Katy Couric telling our local sheriff to turn in his badge.
    You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style. ~Humbert

Hello all - first let me say that I love reading what those of you who have read the books have to add to the conversation about this series. It is definitely adding to my enjoyment/understanding of the show. And, you've got me wanting to read the books. I've put myself on the list for the first book at the library.
    Welcome to the club! You'll love them, OTiS!
    Secondly, I'd like to apply for membership in the Eric fan club. Hot. Hot. HOT. *swoons*
    This feeling will only intensify once you read the books!

The character of Nan isn't in the books, but I don't think she technically has power over any of the vamps. Eric pointed out that she couldn't tell him what to do and she pulled the "I'm on TV card." Godric was definitely the oldest - and therefore the most powerful - vamp in that room. I think she has power because she's the media spokesperson and she can, theoretically, sway public opinion. I definitely didn't like her telling Eric and Godric what to do!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Kiz

Quote Originally Posted by liz_momof2;3666627;
    Respectfully disagreeing with you on a few points. Pam is the casting I am the most disappointed in. She was turned at 17 years old (or somewhere in that vicinity, would have to look it up to be certain.) I always pictured Pam as a prim and proper sorority girl type with a wild side to her.
    I'm reading All Together Dead, and Pam is telling Sookie how she came to be a vampire. On page 90, she said she was 19 when Eric turned her.

To me, she appears to be around 30 on True Blood. I can understand how it could be jarring to have a picture in your mind about a character and then to find the person in the role that doesn't fit the image you've developed over the course of reading the novels. I do like Kristin Bauer, the actress who plays Pam though.

I just looked her biography to find out how old she is, and she was born in 1973. To anyone who was a Seinfeld fan, she was Jerry's girlfriend who had the "man hands".

PWS
    FORT Fogey

A couple of earlier points (and prhoshay, as a paperback reader only I'm still on the Sam bandwagon, so no Eric gush! )...
    Re Godric's origins---I would have thought with that name he's old Anglo Saxon/Goth/German type,no? Although I realize they can change their names.
    Re Pam--She's described in the books as someone who dresses like girls did back in the 50's practically--twin sets, circle pins.. that kind of thing...which makes her look like a suburban matron in today's world (albeit a sexy one), as I recall it.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3669148;

The character of Nan isn't in the books, but I don't think she technically has power over any of the vamps. Eric pointed out that she couldn't tell him what to do and she pulled the "I'm on TV card." Godric was definitely the oldest - and therefore the most powerful - vamp in that room. I think she has power because she's the media spokesperson and she can, theoretically, sway public opinion. I definitely didn't like her telling Eric and Godric what to do!
    That was my understanding as well. While the books have mentioned someone speaking on behalf of the vampires nationally from time to time (while Sookie is watching TV), just like FoTS has a spokesperson; each sheriff is top dog in his district and answers to his queen or king (which is regional). In Ms Harris world the US is divided into regions, and each has either a queen or king singly ruling the districts (sheriffs) within, unless two (king/queen, king/king, or queen/queen) decide to marry, and thus expand and merge their regions.
    Nan's part is more of an extended creation from Alan Ball, and just another one of those things that enhances the True Blood series beyond the world of just Sookie's (books authored by Ms Harris).
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

Quote Originally Posted by Kiz;3669585;
    I'm reading All Together Dead, and Pam is telling Sookie how she came to be a vampire. On page 90, she said she was 19 when Eric turned her.

To me, she appears to be around 30 on True Blood. I can understand how it could be jarring to have a picture in your mind about a character and then to find the person in the role that doesn't fit the image you've developed over the course of reading the novels. I do like Kristin Bauer, the actress who plays Pam though.

I just looked her biography to find out how old she is, and she was born in 1973. To anyone who was a Seinfeld fan, she was Jerry's girlfriend who had the "man hands".
    Thanks! I knew it was late teens but couldn't remember exactly. I know that her parents were lamenting that she was getting into "old maid" territory which would typically be late teens/early 20s in the day she was "alive."

I like Kristin Bauer but if she was born in 1973 that means she is in her mid 30s which is what I figured. I guess they didn't want some teenager to be mingling with the "adults" since Eric and Bill look very mature and most of the 19/20 year old actresses look really young.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I remember "Man Hands"! Seinfeld nut, here!!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Kiz

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3670320;
    Seinfeld nut, here!!
    Me too!! Love them all, even in reruns!

I don't mind Pam being older on the show than she is in the books. Her personality doesn't mesh with her being a teenager in the book. I always pictured her as older, even though I know she isn't. And sophisticated and I'm not sure a teenage actress could really pull that one off. There are too many teenage vamps in the book, so I dont' mind Alan's change. Queen Sophie and her sidekick are teenagers, as well. I have showtime, but not HBO, but I've read all the books and watched the first season. I depend on the net to keep me updated on what's going on...lol. So, thanks guys!

+ Reply to Thread