+ Reply to Thread
Page 56 of 216 FirstFirst ... 6464748495051525354555657585960616263646566106156 ... LastLast
Like Tree277Likes

Thread: True Blood (HBO)

Re: True Blood (HBO)

Quote Originally Posted by MisterSSS;3666463;
    An article on the True Blood website says it will premiere June 2010 , so while it's not May, it's not August either.

Reading 8 books in 5 days? Impressive. I'm currently working toward an engineering degree, so unfortunately I don't think I can find much time to read since my brain is constantly crunching numbers. I can usually only read a couple of pages before I start dozing. Hopefully the books are exciting enough to keep me awake
    You won't fall asleep. Trust me.

I completely forgot that Charlaine is putting out a book of Sookie short stories, in October! Here's the link: Amazon.com: A Touch of Dead (Sookie Stackhouse) (9780441017836): Charlaine Harris: Books
    The cover boasts that it's the complete Sookie stories. A little something for the TB addict.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3666342;
    Vin Diesel? Not at all who I imagined and, if that's who Charlaine pictured, it certainly isn't who she wrote. The only similarity is the bald head. Quinn is 6'5", feline and beautiful. Vin Diesel is not.

For Alcide, I pictured someone not unlike the actor who played Stan only with a little extra something. Although most of the cast doesn't resemble their character as written in the book (for me, Pam is the big exception - she looks exactly as I imagined her. Jason is pretty close too), I'll be disappointed if Alcide and Quinn aren't tall and HOT.
    Respectfully disagreeing with you on a few points. Pam is the casting I am the most disappointed in. She was turned at 17 years old (or somewhere in that vicinity, would have to look it up to be certain.) I always pictured Pam as a prim and proper sorority girl type with a wild side to her.

As for Vin Diesel/Quinn, I have seen a post on her message board directly from her that he is the base she used to develop the physicality of Quinn. Height is different because he is supposed to be taller and beefier than Eric and that's easy to portray in a book where you don't have to find living representations of your ideas. Since Alex is 6'4 in real life, they are going to have to find a giant to play Quinn or get really creative with camera angles.

For the record, I don't want Vin as Quinn on the show. I like having really good relatively unknown actors portraying the roles (exception being Anna and guest stars.)

Oh...the actor playing Stan was initially someone I pictured as Alcide. Hubby watches Eureka and he had crossed my radar through that show and I thought, "hmmm scruff him up a little and he'd be perfect." Of course that won't happen now.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

An article on the True Blood website says it will premiere June 2010 , so while it's not May, it's not August either.

Reading 8 books in 5 days? Impressive. I'm currently working toward an engineering degree, so unfortunately I don't think I can find much time to read since my brain is constantly crunching numbers. I can usually only read a couple of pages before I start dozing. Hopefully the books are exciting enough to keep me awake
    Hey, Mister!! Long time, no see! As a person who loves to read, and has read only 2 of the books...I found them extremely hard to get into until the middle of the books; I know that other people have had the same experience, to the point of putting the books down. When it did kick in, it went well, but it took its own sweet time kicking in. Good luck to you! I don't know that I would buy them until you find out if it would be worth it to you. Libraries are wondrous, free places!

And, while I am a huge fan of this show, all of this girly-gushing is making me nauseous!
    I guess we all just don't see things the same way, and that's OK, too.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3666735;
    Hey, Mister!! Long time, no see! As a person who loves to read, and has read only 2 of the books...I found them extremely hard to get into until the middle of the books; I know that other people have had the same experience, to the point of putting the books down. When it did kick in, it went well, but it took its own sweet time kicking in. Good luck to you! I don't know that I would buy them until you find out if it would be worth it to you. Libraries are wondrous, free places!

And, while I am a huge fan of this show, all of this girly-gushing is making me nauseous!
    I guess we all just don't see things the same way, and that's OK, too.
    Awwwe, come on now, you have to enjoy the girly gushing while it is all gooey and squishy cause it won't last. I think it is a rule in the Cream Puff Guide Book.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Best wishes on the engineering degree (which of course should be your main focus)!
    I also found the books very fast reads as did Critical, and Alan Ball. That is actually how we came to have this show - Alan Ball was on his way to a dentist appointment, and realized he was to early, so he stopped into a Barnes & Noble and did some browsing. He saw the first book, (Dead Until Dark) sort of featured among other similar types and thumbed through it. Within minutes he felt compelled to buy and read it. (prhoshay - he may have started in the middle )
    He has mentioned in interviews that he would pick up one of the (series) books intending to read just a chapter before bed, and would not stop until he was done.

My own experience is that the writing style in the beginning, was not as captivating as the story lines. But, I enjoyed all of the books, and after reading the first one, ordered all of the remaining written at that time - which I think consisted of only 5. The rest I had to wait until they were issued, but amused myself reading all her other series. I think her writing style has grown in some ways, and I enjoy it now very much (loving her Harper Connelly series and I didn't expect too - but I wasn't expecting to get into books about vampires either!).

Alan brings a visual excitement to the books that is very fulfilling. He stretches, enlivens and nourishes the books storylines. He is amazing and show reflects that! IMO
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

Quote Originally Posted by Mike'sgirl;3666995;
    Best wishes on the engineering degree (which of course should be your main focus)!
    I also found the books very fast reads as did Critical, and Alan Ball. That is actually how we came to have this show - Alan Ball was on his way to a dentist appointment, and realized he was to early, so he stopped into a Barnes & Noble and did some browsing. He saw the first book, (Dead Until Dark) sort of featured among other similar types and thumbed through it. Within minutes he felt compelled to buy and read it. (prhoshay - he may have started in the middle )
    He has mentioned in interviews that he would pick up one of the (series) books intending to read just a chapter before bed, and would not stop until he was done.

My own experience is that the writing style in the beginning, was not as captivating as the story lines. But, I enjoyed all of the books, and after reading the first one, ordered all of the remaining written at that time - which I think consisted of only 5. The rest I had to wait until they were issued, but amused myself reading all her other series. I think her writing style has grown in some ways, and I enjoy it now very much (loving her Harper Connelly series and I didn't expect too - but I wasn't expecting to get into books about vampires either!).

Alan brings a visual excitement to the books that is very fulfilling. He stretches, enlivens and nourishes the books storylines. He is amazing and show reflects that! IMO
    I too love the Harper Connelly books and the author does write them in a tad different style then the Southern Vampire series.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by liz_momof2;3666627;
    Respectfully disagreeing with you on a few points. Pam is the casting I am the most disappointed in. She was turned at 17 years old (or somewhere in that vicinity, would have to look it up to be certain.) I always pictured Pam as a prim and proper sorority girl type with a wild side to her.

As for Vin Diesel/Quinn, I have seen a post on her message board directly from her that he is the base she used to develop the physicality of Quinn. Height is different because he is supposed to be taller and beefier than Eric and that's easy to portray in a book where you don't have to find living representations of your ideas. Since Alex is 6'4 in real life, they are going to have to find a giant to play Quinn or get really creative with camera angles.

For the record, I don't want Vin as Quinn on the show. I like having really good relatively unknown actors portraying the roles (exception being Anna and guest stars.)

Oh...the actor playing Stan was initially someone I pictured as Alcide. Hubby watches Eureka and he had crossed my radar through that show and I thought, "hmmm scruff him up a little and he'd be perfect." Of course that won't happen now.
    I agree about Pam not looking how I thought she would too. I didn't quite see soriety girl but I did picture her younger and basically her hair different (talk about a weird thing to fixate on).

I also enjoy having relatively unknowns as the actors too. It won't be hard to find a beefier actor than Eric at this point. I pictured him "beefier" than what he is in the show.

Hello all - first let me say that I love reading what those of you who have read the books have to add to the conversation about this series. It is definitely adding to my enjoyment/understanding of the show. And, you've got me wanting to read the books. I've put myself on the list for the first book at the library.

Secondly, I'd like to apply for membership in the Eric fan club. Hot. Hot. HOT. *swoons*

I have a question: what authority did the vampire spokeswoman lady (Nan?) have over Godric? Eric was saying she didn't have the authority, but Godric acted as if he had to listen to her (although it seemed that choosing to meet the sun was his own choice). Can anyone add any insight to this?
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Oh nooooo.......another ooey, gooey, girly-gushy member..............guys can join at their own risk.........
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by causingchaos;3667660;
    I agree about Pam not looking how I thought she would too. I didn't quite see soriety girl but I did picture her younger and basically her hair different (talk about a weird thing to fixate on).

I also enjoy having relatively unknowns as the actors too. It won't be hard to find a beefier actor than Eric at this point. I pictured him "beefier" than what he is in the show.
    Okay, beefier yes, taller than Alex AND beefier that can portray the role with the same integrity that the rest of the cast has, I think that will be a challenge.

+ Reply to Thread